RMAF Future; need opinions

STURM

A A400M has just returned from Spain where it underwent various upgrades.

An Airbus press release had this to say -

''In operation with the RMAF since 2015, the A400M has already changed the customer’s airlift operative, playing a key role in all mission types, including cargo and personnel transport, humanitarian and disaster relief missions, transport of heavy equipment, support to the national strategy in the fight against COVID-19 pandemic, medical transport, as well as air-to-air refuelling operations. The RMAF became the programme’s first export customer and is the first A400M operator in the Asia-Pacific region. With more than 10,000 flight hours achieved by its fleet, the RMAF is also the A400M fleet leader, having the aircraft with more flight hours and flight cycles accumulated among the A400M customers. As fleet leader, the RMAF fleet provides a valuable reference for all existing A400M customers and Airbus.''

Sandhi Yudha

A A400M has just returned from Spain where it underwent various upgrades.

An Airbus press release had this to say -

''In operation with the RMAF since 2015, the A400M has already changed the customer’s airlift operative, playing a key role in all mission types, including cargo and personnel transport, humanitarian and disaster relief missions, transport of heavy equipment, support to the national strategy in the fight against COVID-19 pandemic, medical transport, as well as air-to-air refuelling operations. The RMAF became the programme’s first export customer and is the first A400M operator in the Asia-Pacific region. With more than 10,000 flight hours achieved by its fleet, the RMAF is also the A400M fleet leader, having the aircraft with more flight hours and flight cycles accumulated among the A400M customers. As fleet leader, the RMAF fleet provides a valuable reference for all existing A400M customers and Airbus.''
Thank you for sharing.
What are actually these upgrades?
Does TUDM often uses the A400M for inflight refuing operations, and only for Hawk Mk.208 and F-18C/D or also for the Su-30MKM?

STURM

AAR with all the fighter types you mentioned were first conducted 2-3 years ago and have been performed since on a number of occasions during exercises.

The upgrades I believe were software upgrades and for para drops and low level flying. This leaves 3 more aircraft which have to go to Spain to be upgraded.

Sandhi Yudha

Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI) is inviting Malaysia for joint production on several military aircraft programs: the Hürjet advanced jet trainer and light attack aircraft and Anka medium-altitude long-endurance (MALE) unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV). TAI is even offering Malaysia partner status on the company's programme to develop the Turkish Fighter Experimental (TF-X)/National Combat Aircraft (MMU).

TAI is also offering Malaysia the opportunity to produce components for the company's T625 Gökbey utility helicopter. TAI will commence deliveries of this helicopter to the Turkish Armed Forces in 2023, but the platform is also being offered to export customers.

Last edited:

STURM

The problem has never been companies willing to form strategic partnerships in the hop they lead to long term mutually beneficial results. The problem is a Malaysian political leadership which has traditionally been reluctant to make adequate investments towards defence.

Sandhi Yudha

The South-Korean LIG Nex1 announced a proposal to Malaysia to offer the KAI FA-50 with a new radar and electronic warfare system to sweeten the deal to sell the light fighter to the South East Asia nation. The company has a mechanical scan radar advertised for the FA-50 on its website. It has a range of 80nm (148 km) against fighter targets.

I wonder if this new radar can be simply retrofitted to current T-50 trainers already in operation. It has the same range as the General Electric AN/APG-67, but is probably much more advanced.

Last edited:

STURM

I wonder if the EW suite offered for the F/A-50 is a derivative of this.

From what I've heard the RMN expressed a need for certain stuff which was not offered with the type when it took part in the tender; i.e. attack/nav pod; radar [the Israeli one is verboten], improved EW, etc.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

I wonder if the EW suite offered for the F/A-50 is a derivative of this.

From what I've heard the RMN expressed a need for certain stuff which was not offered with the type when it took part in the tender; i.e. attack/nav pod; radar [the Israeli one is verboten], improved EW, etc.
It can be this one. The LIG Nex1 ALQ-200, it was developed for the KF-16.

Maybe with the knowledge and experience of developing and building this product, they could build the electronic warfare (EW) self-protection system for the KF-X.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

The Royal Malaysian Air Force (TUDM) has received its first CN-235-220M (number M44-05) medium tactical transport aircraft that was converted as a Maritime Surveillance Aircraft (MSA).

The Royal Malaysian Air Force intend to convert two (2) of the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) IPTN CN-235 transport aircraft into Maritime Patrol Aircraft (MPA). The RMAF’s No 1 Squadron currently has seven (7) CN-235M-220 used for air transport roles, which has been in service since 1998. The Royal Malaysian Air Force has an impending program to conduct service-life extension program for the CN-235 fleet with IPTN starting late this year, and the upgrade of two units into MPAs will be included in the contract.

STURM

The RMAF’s No 1 Squadron currently has seven (7) CN-235M-220 used for air transport roles, which has been in service since 1998.
6 were ordered as tactical transports to replace the Caribou. A pair were later ordered for VIP transport; operated by the RMAF [not 21 Squadron though but by another squadron] but owned and paid for by the PM's Department. One of the pair of VIP CN-235s was lost in a mishap and recently the surviving example was handed over to the RMAF to be operated by 1 Squadron. Previously it was 21 Squadron which operated the type until being redesignated.

Sandhi Yudha

6 were ordered as tactical transports to replace the Caribou. A pair were later ordered for VIP transport; operated by the RMAF [not 21 Squadron though but by another squadron] but owned and paid for by the PM's Department. One of the pair of VIP CN-235s was lost in a mishap and recently the surviving example was handed over to the RMAF to be operated by 1 Squadron. Previously it was 21 Squadron which operated the type until being redesignated.
Thank you for the explanation.

According to the Twitter post of IPTN, not 2 but 3 CN235-220s will be converted into MPA/MSA version.
The next two will be delivered in Juli and September 2022.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Malaysian defense media on speculations working with India for TUDM. Basically it is convey (at least on paper), several benefits working with India;

1. Maintenance and upgrade of Malaysian Su-30 MKM, as shown similarities with Indian Su-30 MKI.
2. Tejas for LCA. Thus working with India also add benefits on Tejas as LCA operation with one package contract, with MKM maintenance.
3. India shown interest to take away TUDM Mig-29 as part of their own inventory adding. Thus provide way out for TUDM on Mig-29.
4. India willingness for counter trade with Palm Oil.

All this as co-op context in paper seems have merit, question always in detail.

koxinga

This news is something similar to what happens in Indonesia, which is insider/lobby stiring news for their own agenda (LCA/FLIT program).

TUDM's MiG-29s have been mothballed ; they have been talking about Indian interest since 2018 but nothing has come up of it. As for the rest of the points, they are just ideas that they put it out there but no real commitment. I have some skepticism. SU-30 maintenance is done by ATSC Sdn Bhd if I am not wrong now and they have their own "connections", so I don't know how they would feel for their business to be taken away by India.

STURM

I think would be a case of greater cooperation between ATSC and HAL with the MKMs rather than HAL taking work away. As it stands the RMAF is pushing for the F/A-50 and Tejas would need various things to be integrated/certified to meet the RMAF's requirements.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Seems HAL quite confidence that Malaysian MinDef will goes with them. Combo deal of Tejas for LCA and Support Maintenance for Su-30 MKM going to sway Malaysian toward HAL.

Off course just like in Indonesia, anything can change until effective contract has been deal and pay. Still if this is happening, like I said before, in paper will be quite reasonable deal. This is not much different as my previous post put.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

From DI FB page, the second RMAF CN235-220 MPA delivered. The third and final ones from this MPA conversion program, schedule being deliver by end of this year.