RMAF Future; need opinions

Subangite

Any news on helo requirements? According to some sources the GOM is flushed with cash because of the higher oil prices, which resulted in tax rates being lowered, spending is to be increased. Should the military, air force expect any new procurements from this unexpected windfall in government resources?

What's the likely choice for the Nuri replacements?

mmmbop

Latest news that i heard that's not going to happen..as usual lack of fund..and the plan is going to be carry on in the next 10thMP.bet that at least another 10 Nuris going down by that time

renjer

The GOM has the funds. It's just that defence has never received the priority it deserves. A pity, really.

I understand the EC725 and EH101 are among the choices being considered as replacement for the Nuri. Between the 2, I prefer the EH101. It has an outstanding range and the rear loading ramp eases light vehicle transport.

weasel1962, where is the FPDA exercise taking place? Any images you might be able to share? Oops, sorry. Just read the link.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
A few questions about the RMAF.

How old are the current C-130H's in use? I understand that the RMAF is looking at purchasing the A400M but from what I understand of the program there isn't a protype built for testing yet, never mind LRIP. Can the current transport assets support the RMAF until the A400M is available?

Also, has the RMAF considered a variant of the NH-90 a viable option for a helicopter?

Lastly, is there an OCU squadron in the RMAF? My understanding is that the RAAF uses the Hawk 127 LIFT for advanced jet training/light attack and from there makes use of training aircraft the F-111G or F/A-18B to train the pilots in specific types they will fly. To my mind that would make more sense to do things that way, with more Hawk 100 series than also having Hawk 200 series since they are single seat light fighters, not training aircraft.

I definately see a need for MPA given all the water Malaysia has to patrol. Q300s modified for MPA and given some armament could do the task. As for AEW that would be a very good force multiplier, but do RMAF aircraft have the needed datalinks to take advantage of the radar? If the datalinks aren't there, then I don't think it would make sense to buy AEW aircraft yet. Sometime in the future, yes, but not yet.

renjer

Todjaeger said:
How old are the current C-130H's in use? I understand that the RMAF is looking at purchasing the A400M but from what I understand of the program there isn't a protype built for testing yet, never mind LRIP. Can the current transport assets support the RMAF until the A400M is available?
Six were bought in 1975, another 3 in the early 80s and the last 5 in the late 80s/early 90s(?). Awhile back a Chief of Defence Staff said that the total requirement was for at least 24 aircraft in the C-130 class.

Todjaeger said:
Also, has the RMAF considered a variant of the NH-90 a viable option for a helicopter?
Yes, it's one of the types being considered along with EC725 and EH101. It has the advantage of providing commonality with FPDA partners (i.e. Australian and New Zealander). However, I haven't come across any additional news on this to date.

Hope it helps.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Thanks Renjer for the info, couldn't find RMAF purchase dates.

Regarding some of the C-130H's, does anyone know if there has been any discussion with either the RAAF or the RNZAF about a joint buy of C-130J?

Currently both of those air forces operate C-130H's. The 5 RNZAF C-130H being purchased in '65 (3) or '69 (2) are now between 35-40 years old. The 12 RAAF C-130H's are a bit newer, being bought in 1978 and currently undergoing modifications to serve past 2008.

If the three nations got together, there could be a fairly significant sized order for replacement aircraft. Assuming all three nations elected to replace the aircraft with over 20 years of service, that would be around 26 new transports. By my count, the RMAF has 14 C-130, are they still looking for an additional 10? If so, that would increase the order size further.

For the more recent C-130H additions to the RMAF inventory, were they purchased new or second hand? Basically I'm wondering if updating and rationalization of transports should be done as well. NZ is looking at replacements for it's transports due to age. Australia is updating their older Hercs but is also operating the C-130J-30 and has been considering rationalization as well as moderization.

renjer

All the RMAF's C-130s were bought new. As for the possibility of a joint purchase of transport aircraft, I think this is a very unlikely possibility. In addition to its greater payload, Malaysia has chosen the A400M because of the offset deals offered by Airbus. I believe Australia has signed up for the C-17 while New Zealand appears content with the B737. But then, anything is possible.

A

Aussie Digger

Todjaeger said:
Thanks Renjer for the info, couldn't find RMAF purchase dates.

Regarding some of the C-130H's, does anyone know if there has been any discussion with either the RAAF or the RNZAF about a joint buy of C-130J?

Currently both of those air forces operate C-130H's. The 5 RNZAF C-130H being purchased in '65 (3) or '69 (2) are now between 35-40 years old. The 12 RAAF C-130H's are a bit newer, being bought in 1978 and currently undergoing modifications to serve past 2008.

If the three nations got together, there could be a fairly significant sized order for replacement aircraft. Assuming all three nations elected to replace the aircraft with over 20 years of service, that would be around 26 new transports. By my count, the RMAF has 14 C-130, are they still looking for an additional 10? If so, that would increase the order size further.

For the more recent C-130H additions to the RMAF inventory, were they purchased new or second hand? Basically I'm wondering if updating and rationalization of transports should be done as well. NZ is looking at replacements for it's transports due to age. Australia is updating their older Hercs but is also operating the C-130J-30 and has been considering rationalization as well as moderization.
AFAIK, NZ is content (the Government probably not the RNZAF) to be upgrading it's 5x C-130H's and not purchase ANY new aircraft. It also has 2x B-757's, but little likelyhood of gaining any new fixed wing transport aircraft...

RAAF is not yet upgrading it's C-130H aircraft beyond minor mods such as adding EW self protection systems and ballistic protection. We have not decided to upgrade the airframe to extend it's life and I seriously doubt we will. It'd mean when end up operating 4x small fleets of airlifters plus the A330 MRTT, an un-palatable situation that I doubt RAAF or Government is much keen on... An additional buy of C-130J's seems most likely to me...

kaybee

Thanks weasel. Do you know 323 skn in RMAF Bukit Lunchu belong to AFB or some other non-AFB radar site? Don't have it listed in any of the AFB.

renjer

Re: Article: RMAF Sukhoi Fighter Aircraft To Fly In January 2007

This is great news!

There has already been some coverage on the Su-30MKM's A2A weapons. Anybody know what its A2G weapons will be? The opinions of some of our friends from India not withstanding, I would personally like to see the Brahmos in the RMAF's inventory. Thanks.

Ding

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My friend says that the military day celebration parade in malaysia that day he saw in tv. He said he saw an awacs type aircraft and rooivalk attack helo. he was asking me who's were they since malaysia do not own any of them. or maybe did malaysia bought it in secret. any ideas?

Big-E

Banned Member
weasel1962 said:
However, this is not that important because munitions can be purchased at any time and I don't think delivery will be very long after. The su30 can fire the Brahmos, KH-31 and KH-35 series missiles so it's a good move to delay until the requirements are more clear.
While the Su-30 can fire these weapons, I don't think the Malaysian version will be configured with the proper software or fittings to make use of them. An upgrade will be required in the future, especially for Brahmos.

mmmbop

Ding said:
My friend says that the military day celebration parade in malaysia that day he saw in tv. He said he saw an awacs type aircraft and rooivalk attack helo. he was asking me who's were they since malaysia do not own any of them. or maybe did malaysia bought it in secret. any ideas?
FPDA ex ongoing. obviously not malaysian.such a foolish to made a so-called secret buy and then telecast on national day.