Response to North Korea Missile launch

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Sea Toby said:
A picture is worth a thousand words. Lets compare the night lights of North and South Korea.
Not to mention if you take a look at Google Earth and look for signs of economic activity like cars on the roads etc. :D

Mr Waka

hi all

waylander

how did you know about all the artillery lined up on seoul?:confused:

wat else are you not telling us ?:confused:

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
its a toughy

Yeah the first week of any full scale conflict would be the tough one for South Korea, acheiveing full air superiority wold take at least 24 hours, then taking each of the hundreds even thousnds of tubes from mortar to Cannons to Missiles up to scud size which may or not include their specials, that they have had essentially fifty years to dig in with, then take out each, after that it shouldn't be a problem but the line near the DMZ will be battered, luckily the South Koreans have had fifty years to dig in also :cool: Massive casulties on both sides at the start till well, the Cavalry arrive.

caksz

china won't stay still if such thing happens, they will lost a buffer zone , they will occupied some part of north korea, if the north defense is collapse.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
As said before it is not a secret that NK hundreds to thousands of mortars/artillery/rockets of all kinds implemented in their bunker lines near the DMZ and that many of them are able to reach Seoul.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Waylander said:
Striking at NK just because they test a missile is IMHO totally oversized.
Just remember that the North has hundreds of artillery tubes in position to hit Seoul within minutes of the outbreak of hostilities.
And I really doubt that the US are able to wipe out a significant number of these artillery units.
If I were a South Korean I would be really angry if the US starts an attack at NK, because of one missile, which could easily lead to the death of thousands of SK civilians and a war that would bring havoc all over the Korean Peninsula.
Agree entirely. Such an act would appear to justify sanctions noting NK have been playing a pretty low game in so far as respecting the international rights of others (alledged drug smuggling operations for example). It would even jsutify the use of ABM systems to take out the test missile but I don't thnk a direct strike is warrented at this stage and could back fire in the current world situation.

Best to be an injured party showing restraint (noting sanctions will really hurt NK) than to be seen to be an agressor by attacking directly.

KGB

The US statement, it seems, is that the US will try to shoot the missile down if it appears to be a "threat" to the US. It was also mentioned that if the launch was deemed a non threat, such as a satelite launch (the actual example cited), the US will not try to shoot it down.

Now i doubt if NK would test a missile by launching it west towards china. The satellite option is likely a face saving measure proposal.

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
N Korea vows more missile tests

North Korea has confirmed that it has test-fired a series of missiles and said it would continue launching them.
It also warned of "stronger physical actions" if the international community tried to put pressure on Pyongyang.

The North launched seven missiles, one of which was a failed test of a long-range Taepodong-2, believed to be capable of hitting Alaska.

US President George W Bush has been rallying Asian support for a unified response to the launches.

But differences are already emerging. Japan is reportedly pushing for economic sanctions while South Korea is anxious to continue engaging with the North.

China and Russia - more sympathetic to the North - also oppose any punitive measures.

The UN Security Council is currently considering a draft resolution in response to the launches, and US envoy Christopher Hill is travelling to the region to discuss the next steps.
Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5152918.stm

They launched 5 to 7 missiles in total according to different reports. Despite the difference in number of missiles tested, there is consensus that the Taepodong 2 launch was a failure. So Alaskans and Hawaiians can feel safe for at least a couple of months.

contedicavour

I think the best strategy to calm down the North Koreans would be to deploy a tight cover of PAC-3 in South Korea and of Burke DDGs and Ticonderoga CGs to shoot down any missile once it is confortably out of North Korean airspace.
If the North Koreans realize that any missile launched will be destroyed, then they'll have to stop or the entire world will realize that their threats are insignificant. Credibility of their threats is their one and only bargaining strength. Nullify it and their regime will eventually fall apart.

cheers

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Or they try do die fighting.
Forcing such regimes to do what you want is very difficult and dangerous. The North may not be able to invade the South successfully (Despite you never know really) but they are defenitely able to wreck havoc among the Korean Peninsula and that is something you should try to avoid.

Musashi_kenshin

I think the North Koreans should just be ignored. They're now threatening to take more "action" if people keep complaining. I say call their bluff and don't give them anything. In fact squeeze them harder. They won't initiate military action.

Big-E

Banned Member
Does anyone think that the failure of the T-Dong 2 might have anything to do with a laser intercept?

DarthAmerica

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Big-E said:
Does anyone think that the failure of the T-Dong 2 might have anything to do with a laser intercept?

With all the available pre-launch intel its very possible and in fact nobody would be likely to know it even happened. But the official story is probably true...;)

Notice that immediately before the NK launch the alert level was raised. Also note that the trajectory, officially in the vicinity of Hawaii would have also been known. Dont discount the possibility of a SM-3 or a few other lesser known DEWs either.

Big-E

Banned Member
DarthAmerica said:
With all the available pre-launch intel its very possible and in fact nobody would be likely to know it even happened. But the official story is probably true...;)

Notice that immediately before the NK launch the alert level was raised. Also note that the trajectory, officially in the vicinity of Hawaii would have also been known. Dont discount the possibility of a SM-3 or a few other lesser known DEWs either.
I find it highly suspect that the missile would disintegrate 40 seconds after launch... I mean even the N. Koreans can build them better than that!

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
Big-E said:
I find it highly suspect that the missile would disintegrate 40 seconds after launch... I mean even the N. Koreans can build them better than that!
It's pretty well known that they have shitty ballistic missile technology compared to Americans, Russians or even Chinese. Since this is the first time they test launched the TPD-2, it's not surprising that it ended up in failure. I don't think that has anything to do with the laser intercept as the all other test proved to be successful.

Big-E

Banned Member
Pathfinder-X said:
It's pretty well known that they have shitty ballistic missile technology compared to Americans, Russians or even Chinese. Since this is the first time they test launched the TPD-2, it's not surprising that it ended up in failure. I don't think that has anything to do with the laser intercept as the all other test proved to be successful.
What do the other tests have to do with the T-Dong 2? They were all Scuds which no one was worried about, they wouldn't bother to shoot those down.

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
Big-E said:
What do the other tests have to do with the T-Dong 2? They were all Scuds which no one was worried about, they wouldn't bother to shoot those down.
Those "Scuds" are thought to be Nodong missiles with range over 1000km, enough range to cover the entire S.Korea and most parts of Japan. I wouldn't dismiss it as something no one needs to worry about, especially when its capable of carrying nuclear warheads.

contedicavour

Are the N. Koreans trying to make a sales pitch ???

Another possibility on the N Korean regime's recent actions would be that they were trying to make a sales pitch for all those countries still relying on North Korean help to develop locally ballistic missiles (IRBMs mostly).
If the recent launch had not failed so miserably, it would have increased prices that for example Iran would accept to have them (or to have their technology).

Everybody knows that N Korea's "export industries" ;) are counterfeiting and trafficking of everything that's illegal, starting with ballistic missile & nuclear technologies.

cheers