Rearming SLBM or ICBM with conventional warheads

killbill2

Darthamerica how long would it take a trident D-5 launched close to the shore to reach a target in PRC or Russia????I heard someone say 3 minutes or something like that.

DarthAmerica

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
killbill2 said:
Darthamerica how long would it take a trident D-5 launched close to the shore to reach a target in PRC or Russia????I heard someone say 3 minutes or something like that.
That depends on where the target is. Russia and China are really big. But if the SSBN is close enough its easily under 10 to 15 minutes and for some targets closer to 5 minutes than 10. Actual numbers are of course kept secret for obvious reasons.

buckykat5463

Subject Rearming SLBM"s and ICBM"s

Rearm or Not to Rearm? After careful thought based on current trends. It will never happen in our lifetime. Have you even considered the cost of the Peacekeeper System. This is a mute subject when one brings into the situation of Russia, Pakistan, India,Korea,China,England,France,Israel, and U.S.A. ... The lose canon Russsia with all of it"s lost nuclear isotopes, and as well as their lost weapons. This is a powder keg. Now with Japan threatening defensive retaliation as a direct result of Jong Pon Ill"s missle tests with their missles landing in Japans waters. The only other time I have seen this was the state of affairs when Kruschevs missles in Cuba. Our country was so close to all out war I could smell it in elementry school at the time. We were very close. I did not ever think I would see that sort of thing again. Regrettably we are. Pray my friends for our leaders that they will have the sense to come together with definite goals for a lasting peace. If the WMD"s are loosed upon the world no one will win except daeth and that in my opinion is not and option except that of madmen who are mentally incompetants. this is what is going on right now. This is the situation. All we can do is pray for our leaders to make the right decisions. Pray with sincerity of you heart by whatever your denomination you are pray with sincerity and God will answer us.

DoC_FouALieR

I have not read the entire topic, but in my view, rearming ICBMs with conventionnal payload is a good idea:

First, it gives a "super artillery" capability to all commanders in theatre, because with this kind of weapon, you are now able to strike multiple targets anywhere within approx. 20 minutes.

Second, while attacking fighters and cruise missiles can be shoot down (but very hardly for the later), Trident missile can't be intercept and reach their targets for more quickly than any other support weapon, excepting artillery fire.

And a question: Is it possible to rearm those SLBMs with warhead able to catch a warship? Should be interested..

tripoli raider

CTM stopped

The conventional trident modification has been dealt a blow by the congress and the senate. Legislators have frozen the funds dedicated to the program and have directed the National Academy of Sciences to work on a study that should address the main problem: how to differentiate a conv trident launch from a nuclear one.