Question Preserving our Proud Heritage- Australian Army history unit

InterestedParty

I just received this wonderful book from the Australian war memorial bookshop and am having a bit of a nerdgasm
I am curious about the description of Brigadier
The book says that Australian brigades were commanded by colonels until 1915 when an order was promulgated promoting them all to Brigadier-General.
The rank title Brigadier-General was short lived (ceased in 1922) as by definition, they are not in "general command" of troops

I am curious about the phrase "not in general command of troops". What does that mean to a layman who has never served in the military

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Brigadiers supposedly command Brigades, typically three infantry battalions or the like; but a brigade is not (in theory, any way) an all arms formation. So a Brigadier, again theoretically, commands a formation which is all infantry, or all armour or (conceivably although it doesn't happen) all artillery. A general officer commands larger formations which are potentially all arms; so a division, the next higher formation above a brigade, might for example consist of two or three infantry Brigades, a cavalry (armour) regiment, an artillery troop (or more) and a combat support battalion. That's the "general command" bit.