PRC Peoples Liberation Army Navy

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
before this travels down the road of people getting cranky at each other, lets ratchet it down and pause a bit first

KiwiRob

I agree with your last remark It will be interesting to watch them in the future as we writing on this forum right now the Chinese Navy is working on some ships in there shipyards. I just sit and watch and listen to the reports about the Chinese Navy they seem to want to built there navy up. I was reading the paper one day back in 2003 that Chinese were working on over 20 ships. First thing came to my mind is that China is preparing for war. If you been at shipyard before the task of making a ship is no joke. If you making that many ships that would take alot resources to do
When you see the yard capacity in China, building 20 warships is a drop ion the bucket, the Chinese will deliver over 1000 new vessels this year, they are the worlds largest shipbuilding nation, they over took the Koreans recently, no Western nation (least of all the US with it's yards still in the dark ages) has the ability to build as many vessels as the Chinese can.

HKSDU

China cannot even control North Korea for God’s sake, who are they kidding?
Have you ever thought China is always the quite one. They don't mess in other people's affairs or assert too much. That has been Chinese culture. Chinese people are placid race. Just cause they don't want to bully another country or stick their nose into other people's matter doesn't make them weak, scared or pushover. They will only act when its in their nations interest. Unlike some other countries who go to war over some imaginary generated threat that they made up themselves. Its easy to talk when the country isn't armed with nukes and is smack bang right beside you (China).

HKSDU

when you consider a large chunck of their population is starving there are better things they should be focusing on then "flexing".
wow really? Are you that misinformed and brainwashed about China. They aren't "flexing." They are building their navy to protect their economy interest, which runs the country and helps the people. Let's bring America as example they can better put money into taking care of its own citzens yet they dont. Their budget is WAY too big.

SASWanabe

Have you ever thought China is always the quite one.They don't mess in other people's affairs or assert too much. That has been Chinese culture. Chinese people are placid race. Just cause they don't want to bully another country or stick their nose into other people's matter doesn't make them weak, scared or pushover. They will only act when its in their nations interest. Unlike some other countries who go to war over some imaginary generated threat that they made up themselves. Its easy to talk when the country isn't armed with nukes and is smack bang right beside you (China).
Ever heard of the korean war?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
In all honesty their actions in the Korean was were (geo-politically speaking) fairly conservative. China's lack of interventionism may well be a result of little capacity to do so, but so far they haven't been nearly as involved as many other powerful states.

Wall83

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anyway here are some recent picture of the new Type-052C destroyers getting ready for launch.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can I just re-state the need for civility here, as GF did on the previous page, before this into an all-out derailing of the thread. If people want to take not-so-veiled shots at the foreign policies and government behaviour of various nations, Western or Eastern, please don't do it here. It's not a political forum, nor is it the topic of discussion, so if we can steer it back to the Chinese Navy, thanks guys. I'm not taking sides here - rather pre-empting any further disagreement.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow. Wonderful off-topic. If we want to continue the discussion of Chinese geo-politics, we have an Intros and Off-Topic forum just for that sort of thing. Take it there. This is a thread about the Chinese navy.

EDIT: All Off-topic split and moved to the Off-Topic forum. If you want to continue the discussion there, feel free.

Last edited:

HKSDU

Deleted. Off Topic

Both Feanor and Bonza have been pretty clear about what is going to be tolerated in here.

Get it right or don't post.

This applies to all posters - not just you

gf

Last edited by a moderator:

cpt007

Banned Member
Nope, that goes to the japanese. - and certainly in capability terms

eg look at the submarine forces, missile cruisers, CEC capability, expeditionary capability, ASW etc.....

the chinese are nowhere near the japanese in force structure and capability
My view point is that when comparing navies one must also compare brute fire power.For example PLAN has land attack capability from its destroyers and frigates and also maritime strike aircraft like Xian JH-7,whereas JMSDF has no land attack capability because it is built around a defensive doctrine.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
My view point is that when comparing navies one must also compare brute fire power.For example PLAN has land attack capability from its destroyers and frigates and also maritime strike aircraft like Xian JH-7,whereas JMSDF has no land attack capability because it is built around a defensive doctrine.
read my earlier

it reinforces the fact that china can only fight a maritime war against a competent foe if they are in green or light blue waters - ie they are dependant on support from landbased air.

as it is the japanese have robust CEC and can still contend and defend against a chinese maritime force with supporting land air.

china can't do the same.

cpt007

Banned Member
read my earlier

it reinforces the fact that china can only fight a maritime war against a competent foe if they are in green or light blue waters - ie they are dependant on support from landbased air.

as it is the japanese have robust CEC and can still contend and defend against a chinese maritime force with supporting land air.

china can't do the same.
I think you misunderstood my post.I am not referring to land based air support.I am referring to land attack capability in the form of cruise missiles.

Belesari

Japan has severe limits on what it can put into its ships. I believe thats why they have so little land attack capability. Though they seem to be waking up.

But back on topic........SORRY!

China's military may not be able to project right now but 15 years ago i doubt anyone would have predicted the size the chinese would grow their navy or military in general. The chinese are at the end of a VERY long and complicated chain of supply as a nation a good navy is essental for them as for us in the US.

Currently they OWN the world on probably the most important resource besides Oil which is rare earth metals which go into ever increasing amount of products (including those brand new electric cars that will get us off foreign oil :lol ) they will need alot more logistics capability and blue water experience before they could take on all the asian powers as well as the US but then that doesnt mention how our fleet will change in the years to come.

So as was said they great for littorals and such but agaisnt a carrier battlegroup in the pacific....

jeffb

Currently they OWN the world on probably the most important resource besides Oil which is rare earth metals which go into ever increasing amount of products (including those brand new electric cars that will get us off foreign oil :lol ) they will need alot more logistics capability and blue water experience before they could take on all the asian powers as well as the US but then that doesnt mention how our fleet will change in the years to come.
Thats only a temporary situation though with many rare earth mines being constructed around the world, despite their name rare earths are actually very common.

The only reason they dominate the market is because they undercut everyone else until they were the only suppliers left. Theres two huge mines being constructed in Australia along with mines in Canada, USA, Vietnam, etc. Given the way China has used its monopoly on rare earths no one can rely on Chinese supply anymore so the market is wide open and largely protected from the Chinese by their own actions.

ed: China's most important natural resource is manpower. Its not impossible for western nations to counter this though, there is alot of progress being made in unmanned systems and the technical hurdles for AI controlled aircraft and ships/subs aren't that great.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rare earth wasn't that profitable to mine before.

Australia will proberly own that market, as we can pull simular quanities out of our tailings for low cost.

We can certainly counter china's man power advantage, look at Australian mines, through automation, you can run an entire mine with absoletely minimal staff. Essentially just maintence. Japan has proven that the cheapest way to build cars is with robots, not people.

Sampanviking

Banned Member
I am afraid that the Rare Earth "embargo" story was largely misinformation.

Chinese production did indeed crash the global market in the 90's and China has been very concerned about the depletion of its deposits for very low returns and the environmental damage caused by a largely unregulated extraction and processing industry.

Since late 2005, China has announced its intention to better regulate the industry and install export quota;s for particular salts etc. Japanese companies have been buying cheap Chinese production both legitimately from the open market and illegitimately from black market and is estimated to have stockpiles of key rare earth salts sufficient for as long as the next twenty years.

China is concerned to maintain reserves for its own domestic consumption and is keen to promote the resumption of production in other countries. I know that China has over the last couple of years sent delegations to Australia and California to encourage REM mine owners to do so.

Fortunately the Heavyweight Financial Press were aware of this and said so, even if the tabloids were happy to sensationalise.

Belesari

Rare earth wasn't that profitable to mine before.

Australia will proberly own that market, as we can pull simular quanities out of our tailings for low cost.

We can certainly counter china's man power advantage, look at Australian mines, through automation, you can run an entire mine with absoletely minimal staff. Essentially just maintence. Japan has proven that the cheapest way to build cars is with robots, not people.
I wasnt talking about china mainland production but world production. They are buying the companies that own the mines. And the mines themselves. And every year export less.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
I wasnt talking about china mainland production but world production. They are buying the companies that own the mines. And the mines themselves. And every year export less.
Sorry, but owning mining rights on other countries does not means strategically can control the mines like in your own country. In short any country can strategically keep the minerals mined in their land regardless who own the mining company. Thus even China own mining company in Africa (for example), US or other potential China opposition can compete to influence that particullar nation to hold the shipment even to China it self.