Power from space?

SlyDog

Agreed.

Except that ground solar panels only work during the day time - and sunny days at that. And storage is difficult: Batteries are heavy, bulky, are climate sensitive, and become inefficient over time. And there's a problem with scale: sure collecting more sunlight is easy, but storing it at a large scale is hard. Batteries don't scale up well to large sizes.

In some areas is it sunny most days. Deserts is one example. And I think it's not THAT difficult to solve the problem with energi storage. How its should be dune depends on the intended use of the energy. I think also it´s useful to place at some buildings and use en energi for air condition - which is most needed during hot days. Or mayby heat up water to an "ackumulator tank". There ARE possibilities indeed.

Last edited:

Chrom

In some areas is it sunny most days. Deserts is one example. And I think it's not THAT difficult to solve the problem with energi storage. How its should be dune depends on the intended use of the energy. I think also it´s useful to place at some buildings and use en energi for air condition - which is most needed during hot days. Or mayby heat up water to an "ackumulator tank". There ARE possibilities indeed.
Water -> Hydrogen is quite promising for energy storage. It have several advantages - scales very well, could be used for fueling, can be (relative) easy transported. There are some problems here of course.

Coupled with solar batteries, water->hydrogen process can supply very large chunk of worlds needs in energy. Noone uses Sahara anyway ')

Ozzy Blizzard

Water -> Hydrogen is quite promising for energy storage. It have several advantages - scales very well, could be used for fueling, can be (relative) easy transported. There are some problems here of course.

Coupled with solar batteries, water->hydrogen process can supply very large chunk of worlds needs in energy. Noone uses Sahara anyway ')
The problem with ground based solar energy is the lack of controll or predictability over the level of energy production. Unless you can produce sufficient excess that can be stored, ground based soldar alone is not viable. You may have high energy needs on a cloudy day, then your stuffed!

Carbon capture on fossil fuel plants should cover economic growth for the next 40 years, includeing more solar and wind farms. 40 years is about the projected timescale before an operational fusion reactor is actually produceing energy, then we can convert over 20 years.

Chrom

The problem with ground based solar energy is the lack of controll or predictability over the level of energy production. Unless you can produce sufficient excess that can be stored, ground based soldar alone is not viable. You may have high energy needs on a cloudy day, then your stuffed!

As i said, Solar -> hydrogen process lack this described problem. Hydrogen serve as accumulator and mean to transport the energy. As such, bad day / good day doesnt matter in the slightest. Sahara alone can cover ALL current worlds needs in energy.

SlyDog

Besides...there are also possibilties to REDUSE consumption of energy. Improved thermal insulasion is one area.

Last edited:

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Don't be blinkered to the alternatives either- geothermal, tidal, wind, solar thermal, solar photovoltaic, ocean current, solar wind chimneys, biomass, and the list goes on. Power from space should be seen as another string to the bow.

Efficiency should be the first target - how stupid are we now? We cool our food in a fridge by pumping the heat out the back of the fridge. This heat adds to the heat load in our homes so we install airconditioning to pump the heat outside. In the home I rent, this heat is released to the atmosphere... Right next to the water heater that then uses more energy to heat our hot water etc etc. It would almost be impossible to design a more inefficient system than the way we live today.

rev1861

A recent news item from http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21253268/_

I'd like to find out if anyone knows where the National Security Space Office report mentioned in the article can be obtained from.

First couple of sentences

"A new Pentagon study lays out the roadmap for a multibillion-dollar push to the final frontier of energy: a satellite system that collects gigawatts’ worth of solar power and beams it down to Earth.
The military itself could become the “anchor tenant” for such a power source, due to the current high cost of fueling combat operations abroad, the study says.
The 75-page report, released Wednesday, says new economic incentives would have to be put in place to “close the business case” for space-based solar power systems — but it suggests that the technology could be tested in orbit by as early as 2012."
Very interesting.