Post Elizabeth II

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I watched the full funeral and the ceremonial was as usual brilliant. In fact I have been following all the ceremonial since the death of the The Boss (HM Queen Elizabeth II) was announced. You can't beat the Poms for full ceremonial. There were things that happened which were never broadcast before, such as the King being called before the Privy Council questioned, giving his speech, and swearing his Oath. Then the subsequent reading of the proclamation.

Those soldiers from the Queen's Company who were the Bearer Party were outstanding and I hope that they were given some double tots of navy rum and / or single malt whisky for their work. Yes it was their duty but they performed their final duty for The Boss with honour, dignity, and humility. That casket was lead lined English Oak weighing approximately 300 kg. The gun carriage party was 138 naval ratings, many of whom have only been in the Royal Navy for seven months or so. So they have had an astounding and impressive start to their naval careers. They did an excellent job and whilst for some purists (grumpy old GIs - not me) it may not have been the perfect gun team performance, it was a very good performance nevertheless. I see that the gun carriage originally belonged to the Royal Artillery, but the RN saw no reason to hand it back, and still see no reason too. They've taken it on charge now and the stores officers would be very upset with all the paperwork involved in such a transfer.

The large procession from Westminster Cathedral to Wellington Arch by Buckingham Palace, the likes of I have never see in my lifetime and they reckon the largest that ever has been. 1&1/4 miles long. Even the officers were in step, which makes a change. It was just magnificent and the nothing in the world could rival it. To our American brethren that's how ceremonial is done with proper smart and correct drill. Then there was the final procession at Windsor and she looked like hard yakka (work) climbing that incline to the palace. Think a few of those old fullas would've been puffing hard when they reached the top. Have to admit then they took The Boss into the Quadrangle, past the two corgis and down to the Chapel the eyes started to leek a bit. Leaked a bit more when they took the crown, orb and staff from her coffin before lowering to the crypt complex below.

Redlands18

I watched the full funeral and the ceremonial was as usual brilliant. In fact I have been following all the ceremonial since the death of the The Boss (HM Queen Elizabeth II) was announced. You can't beat the Poms for full ceremonial. There were things that happened which were never broadcast before, such as the King being called before the Privy Council questioned, giving his speech, and swearing his Oath. Then the subsequent reading of the proclamation.

Those soldiers from the Queen's Company who were the Bearer Party were outstanding and I hope that they were given some double tots of navy rum and / or single malt whisky for their work. Yes it was their duty but they performed their final duty for The Boss with honour, dignity, and humility. That casket was lead lined English Oak weighing approximately 300 kg. The gun carriage party was 138 naval ratings, many of whom have only been in the Royal Navy for seven months or so. So they have had an astounding and impressive start to their naval careers. They did an excellent job and whilst for some purists (grumpy old GIs - not me) it may not have been the perfect gun team performance, it was a very good performance nevertheless. I see that the gun carriage originally belonged to the Royal Artillery, but the RN saw no reason to hand it back, and still see no reason too. They've taken it on charge now and the stores officers would be very upset with all the paperwork involved in such a transfer.

The large procession from Westminster Cathedral to Wellington Arch by Buckingham Palace, the likes of I have never see in my lifetime and they reckon the largest that ever has been. 1&1/4 miles long. Even the officers were in step, which makes a change. It was just magnificent and the nothing in the world could rival it. To our American brethren that's how ceremonial is done with proper smart and correct drill. Then there was the final procession at Windsor and she looked like hard yakka (work) climbing that incline to the palace. Think a few of those old fullas would've been puffing hard when they reached the top. Have to admit then they took The Boss into the Quadrangle, past the two corgis and down to the Chapel the eyes started to leek a bit. Leaked a bit more when they took the crown, orb and staff from her coffin before lowering to the crypt complex below.
Allnighter? starting at 11pm NZ time. Yes, the Poms certainly know how to do pomp and ceremony. Watched the post service procession through London and the procession up to Windsor Castle, everyone involved done a superb job and deserve a big round of applause, participants should get some sort of commendation for this. The crowds were superbly behaved, not a single incident showed up on TV.
It's actually the same Gun Carriage as for Queen Victoria's funeral, pulled by Horses in those days though.

swerve

Super Moderator
Victoria's gun carriage started being pulled by horses, but there was a problem with 'em. Spooked by the crowds? So they got sailors (there were some available) to take over, & ever they've done it.

If you look at the early parts of the clip where it's being pulled by horses you can see that some are acting up. About 6 minutes in it's being pulled by sailors.

Redlands18

Victoria's gun carriage started being pulled by horses, but there was a problem with 'em. Spooked by the crowds? So they got sailors (there were some available) to take over, & ever they've done it.

If you look at the early parts of the clip where it's being pulled by horses you can see that some are acting up. About 6 minutes in it's being pulled by sailors.
Even on Monday there was a couple of incidents with horses playing up, especially on the last procession up to Windsor Castle, one of the Airmen on the side of the road having to dodge backwards to avoid being trampled.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Even on Monday there was a couple of incidents with horses playing up, especially on the last procession up to Windsor Castle, one of the Airmen on the side of the road having to dodge backwards to avoid being trampled.
They’re playing up because the “slow” March (75 steps pm in Britain, thought it was 80 in my day) is slower than normal horse walking pace, they can’t shorten their steps, they can only prance!
My Equestrian family assure me this is fact:cool:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
They’re playing up because the “slow” March (75 steps pm in Britain, thought it was 80 in my day) is slower than normal horse walking pace, they can’t shorten their steps, they can only prance!
My Equestrian family assure me this is fact:cool:
Yep, far to long to expect the horses to behave at such a slow pace for them. I though they did very well to behave as well as they did. My dad had race horses so knew a little bit about them. Definitely knew how to fall off them :D