Post Elizabeth II

Teal

Over the past years I have been proud to serve my Queen and Country in the far distant reaches of the Empire and as affirmed so many years ago in my allegiance to Her Majesty the Queen, the words “and all Her heirs” will now come into play when I put on my Rig. Thank you for your service Ma’am. God save the King.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Over the past years I have been proud to serve my Queen and Country in the far distant reaches of the Empire and as affirmed so many years ago in my allegiance to Her Majesty the Queen, the words “and all Her heirs” will now come into play when I put on my Rig. Thank you for your service Ma’am. God save the King.
Well said sir!

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Over the past years I have been proud to serve my Queen and Country in the far distant reaches of the Empire and as affirmed so many years ago in my allegiance to Her Majesty the Queen, the words “and all Her Airs” will now come into play when I put on my Rig. Thank you for your service Ma’am. God save the King.
I suspect your autofill has played a cruel trick on you by replacing "Heirs" (those who succeed her) with "Airs" (Snooty manners) which in my opinion would be a cruel slight on a graceful woman of the sort ardent anti-monarchists would make.

In any case, both of us swore to serve Queen Elizabeth and did so proudly, whatever our and others stance may be these days.

oldsig

Teal

I suspect your autofill has played a cruel trick on you by replacing "Heirs" (those who succeed her) with "Airs" (Snooty manners) which in my opinion would be a cruel slight on a graceful woman of the sort ardent anti-monarchists would make.

In any case, both of us swore to serve Queen Elizabeth and did so proudly, whatever our and others stance may be these days.

oldsig
Ahhhh, Sorry , so right , switching off auto .....My apologies to All

John Fedup

The Bunker Group

oldsig
Apple has embarrassed me more than once and my less than perfect proof reading of posts hasn’t helped!

InterestedParty

I read that there will be gun salutes at saluting stations in the UK and around the world
I assume that there is at least one such saluting station in Australia. Would that be in Canberra or elsewhere, it would be quite a sight to see
I was born into the Elizabethan age and this has hit me harder than I expected

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I read that there will be gun salutes at saluting stations in the UK and around the world
I assume that there is at least one such saluting station in Australia. Would that be in Canberra or elsewhere, it would be quite a sight to see
I was born into the Elizabethan age and this has hit me harder than I expected
Run down of ceremonial events here : What happens now

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Last Night, I watch the news on her family rushing to Balmoral due her deteriorating condition. Also see the Buckingham Palace annoucement on her health. I got a feeling this is not good. Wake up with the news feed of her past away.

No matter what the anti monarchy campaign on her and her family images, one thing for sure she's clearly the most recognisable UK image on Global society. This is one thing people outside Britain and Commonwealth put an image when talking on UK.

As an outsider of UK and Commonwealth circle, I do see her work to keep Commonwealth as working entity, provide one of forefront of British geopolitical stature. Commonwealth in my opinion due help British image as the most succesfull collonial power in the world.

As coming from a country that also used to be a collony, I can say the connection between Indonesia and Netherland are far less connected compared to UK and many of her 'ex' collonies. Indonesian students for example put Nerherlands down below the choices for overseas studies compare to Australia, US, UK, or even Singapore and Malaysia. As Netherlands biggest colonies, Indonesian do not make one of the largest group of Imigrant there, compare to Indian and Pakistan in UK.

Time will tell if King Charles III (I do think before he will choose George VII not Charles III considering image of Charles I and II) will bring close to similar capabilities of projecting positive image as her mother throughout UK and Commonwealth. However her death really closing a chapter of historical trend.

May she rest in peace.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I don’t remember King George VI, I was 5 years old when ER II ascended the throne.
Now she can Rest In Peace with Phillip by her side.
Thank goodness I’m not serving now, all those buttons and cap badges needing to be changed!

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Not to mention all those sword blades, aiguillettes, Queen’s Colours and the like. After 55 years of serving Her, I for one won’t be changing - even if I did briefly serve with the new King 50 years ago.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I don’t remember King George VI, I was 5 years old when ER II ascended the throne.
Thank goodness I’m not serving now, all those buttons and cap badges needing to be changed!
And there must be someone at treasury figuring out the cost of changing ALL our currency to feature Charles III and the mint and printers oiling their machinery.

I reckon it will take a few years of mixed currency- with the possibility of a Republic down the track meaning another change.

oldsig

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
And there must be someone at treasury figuring out the cost of changing ALL our currency to feature Charles III and the mint and printers oiling their machinery.

I reckon it will take a few years of mixed currency- with the possibility of a Republic down the track meaning another change.

oldsig
ER2 coins will be around for a long time. I can remember it wasn’t uncommon to have a few GR6 coins in my change pocket into the 1980s.

swerve

Super Moderator
The cost of changing the currency is trivial. Everything will be set up already. New notes & coins will be issued on the same schedule as they would have been if she'd lived another ten years.

When I was a child there were still some pennies in circulation with Victoria's head on, & I was born in Elizabeth's reign.

BTW, there's one very, very small good thing: the silly people arguing about Charles's regnal name & suggesting it was traditional to use a name other than the monarch's first name have to shut up now. It's exactly as I predicted: we have King Charles III. The Queen is dead: long live the King.

swerve

Super Moderator
ER2 coins will be around for a long time. I can remember it wasn’t uncommon to have a few GR6 coins in my change pocket into the 1980s.
Sixpences, shillings & two shillings, that were the same size & weight as their equivalent decimal coins. I remember.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Sixpences, shillings & two shillings, that were the same size & weight as their equivalent decimal coins. I remember.
This is true of course, but the banks were eventually required to accept them as tender but remove them from circulation. The few seen later ( and even now) were escapees from piggy banks and from those like me with deep pockets and short arms.

Our polymer bank notes wear out quickly enough that the same will apply within a couple of years anyway

oldsig

(I still have real paper notes which are worth more as collectibles than cash. That will happen too)

Ananda

The Bunker Group
King Charles III is already 73, and it can be safe to say for sure his reign will not be as long as his mother. Some online talks already try to compare it to Edward VII relative short reign. Thus as GR6 coins and notes will be around when ER2 coming to reign, CR3 coins and notes in future will be much less then ER2 ones.

Also with everything going digital right now, have to be seen how much actually CR3 coins and notes will be minted and print. So CR3 ones can be more collectibles in future.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I saw something yesterday that the crowns may not have to be changed because the crown used to Crown Elizabeth II her father George VI and her grandfather George V was St Edward's Crown, named after Edward the Confessor.

"... Queen Elizabeth II in 1953, who adopted a stylised image of the crown for use on coats of arms, badges, logos and various other insignia in the Commonwealth realms to symbolise her royal authority. In these contexts, it replaced the Tudor Crown, which had been instated by Edward VII in 1901.[28] Use of the crown's image in this way is by permission of the monarch.[24]" Source
"From 1902 to 1953, a stylised image of the Tudor Crown was used in coats of arms, badges, logos and various other insignia throughout the Commonwealth realms to symbolise the Crown and the monarch's royal authority." Source
So I would argue that there was no such thing as a King's Crown and a Queen's Crown, but more a Monarch's or Sovereign's Crown because Elizabeth I definitely wore the crown of her father Henry VIII so there is precedence. Victoria wore the Imperial State Crown which is the same one worn by all Kings and the regnal Queen since her and incorporates the St Edwards Crown. Therefore I see no need to change badges, buttons, swords etc., with the current crown on them. That in itself will make the bean counters happy. but won't prevent the hours of polishing required over the next 12 days or so.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
King Charles III is already 73, and it can be safe to say for sure his reign will not be as long as his mother. Some online talks already try to compare it to Edward VII relative short reign. Thus as GR6 coins and notes will be around when ER2 coming to reign, CR3 coins and notes in future will be much less then ER2 ones.

Also with everything going digital right now, have to be seen how much actually CR3 coins and notes will be minted and print. So CR3 ones can be more collectibles in future.
Clearly Charles at 73, won’t be King for the next 70 years, but....

His Mother lived to 96, His Father lived to 99, his Grandmother to 101, pretty good genetics.

Assuming he doesn’t have an unexpired serious illness it’s reasonable to think, with his current health and genetic background, he’s probably got another 20 to 25 years ahead of him.

That’s a lot of coins and banknotes with his head on them.

Rare? Don’t think so.