Philippine Navy Discussion and Updates

Zhaow

When I wrote that, I had no idea (and have no idea) what air support is available to the Phillipines Border patrol formations.

My understanding is that in the Australian context, JORN and Aerial Assets do the locating, with the Bay and Armidale class PB's providing the 'response',

*If* the Phillipines has aircraft patrolling their EEZ, whether helicoptor or light fixed wing, my thoughts were that given the fact that their issue seems to be mostly in the littoral, they could possibly get away with using the converted fishing boats as motherships for the RHIB's, which lets face it, can do 40+ knots quite easily with a decent engine on the back.

With the Cape class appearing to be quite similar in capability to the Armidale class it looks like BPC will be experiencing a step change in their capability as long as enough are procured to compensate for the probable removal of the Armidale class from their current taskings.
I would not be surprise if Philippines the buy into the Armidale class Patrol boats or an Armed version of the Bay class patrol boats or the Cape class patrol boat

Last edited:

dazzerler1

Banned Member
I would not be surprise if Philippines the buy into the Armidale class Patrol boats or an Armed version of the Bay class patrol boats or the Cape class patrol boat
It is time for the Philippines to put up or shut up! The country is not that poor compared with other countries that are able to build up their military defenses. The president should prosecute all those corrupt government officials that enrich themselves while pretending to be public servants. If there is a will there is a way for the Philippines to budget more funds to get their defenses in order. There are so many educated and talented Filipinos that may be able to work in maritime and aircraft industries if the Philippine government is willing to incentivized and/or establish these industries. The Philippine government should stop acting like beggars.

colay

It is time for the Philippines to put up or shut up! The country is not that poor compared with other countries that are able to build up their military defenses. The president should prosecute all those corrupt government officials that enrich themselves while pretending to be public servants. If there is a will there is a way for the Philippines to budget more funds to get their defenses in order. There are so many educated and talented Filipinos that may be able to work in maritime and aircraft industries if the Philippine government is willing to incentivized and/or establish these industries. The Philippine government should stop acting like beggars.
Change is ongoing, progress is being made. On the security front, the modernization program has achieved more in the short time this president has been in office than what was done in the last half century. If you've been following the news, the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court has just been impeached and removed from office for accumulating a vast unexplained,fortune. One should not underestimate the magnitude of the challenges remaining akin to cleaning the Aegean stables, but I for one appreciate what has been accomplished given the constraints.

dazzerler1

Banned Member
Change is ongoing, progress is being made. On the security front, the modernization program has achieved more in the short time this president has been in office than what was done in the last half century. If you've been following the news, the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court has just been impeached and removed from office for accumulating a vast unexplained,fortune. One should not underestimate the magnitude of the challenges remaining akin to cleaning the Aegean stables, but I for one appreciate what has been accomplished given the constraints.
The Philippines has the 45th biggest economy in the world. The government should be able to expedite their acquisition of what they need for defending their vast naval and aerial territories. What is stopping the government from getting loans to acquire what they need based on their GNP and monetary reserves? Just IMHO, Japan and South Korea should be able to provide loan assistance or the other ASEAN countries?

colay

The Philippines has the 45th biggest economy in the world. The government should be able to expedite their acquisition of what they need for defending their vast naval and aerial territories. What is stopping the government from getting loans to acquire what they need based on their GNP and monetary reserves? Just IMHO, Japan and South Korea should be able to provide loan assistance or the other ASEAN countries?
Who says the people in charge of finances aren't exercising diligence in their stewardship of public funds? It's easy charge things to credit but eventually the money must come,from,somewhere and it doesn't grow on trees. Lots of other non-military priorities that need funding as well.

dazzerler1

Banned Member
Who says the people in charge of finances aren't exercising diligence in their stewardship of public funds? It's easy charge things to credit but eventually the money must come,from,somewhere and it doesn't grow on trees. Lots of other non-military priorities that need funding as well.
Who says money grow on trees? Face up to reality, people don't buy stuff via cash anymore! US citizens mostly buy on credit and just the 1% can afford to pay cash. So in comparison, I wouldn't expect the Philippines to pay cash also for what they need militarily. If defensive stuff is their number one priority, then they have to budget for it accordingly.

colay

Who says money grow on trees? Face up to reality, people don't buy stuff via cash anymore! US citizens mostly buy on credit and just the 1% can afford to pay cash. So in comparison, I wouldn't expect the Philippines to pay cash also for what they need militarily. If defensive stuff is their number one priority, then they have to budget for it accordingly.
You've jumped to the conclusion rather quickly that I espouse paying cash for purchase..,surprising since my post made zero mention of this. If the country is squeezed for funds, not likely we will purchase with cash, isn't? The reality is you match your purchases your ability to pay, which is the responsible thing to do. The government is acting prudently in it's acquisition program to-date.

dazzerler1

Banned Member
You've jumped to the conclusion rather quickly that I espouse paying cash for purchase..,surprising since my post made zero mention of this. If the country is squeezed for funds, not likely we will purchase with cash, isn't? The reality is you match your purchases your ability to pay, which is the responsible thing to do. The government is acting prudently in it's acquisition program to-date.
Read my prior post. The Philippines is not that poor. They're just acting like they're poor. There are other countries with worst economy but able to afford to acquire hardware for their military to defend their territory.

Belesari

I dont use credit and people who use credit for everything go broke. Very few people i know use credit for most things and those are all women.

Belesari

Read my prior post. The Philippines is not that poor. They're just acting like they're poor. There are other countries with worst economy but able to afford to acquire hardware for their military to defend their territory.
You forget they are also fighting a war. They need Good CAS aircraft. They need patrol vessels for the same reasons and for lawenforcment and such also.

The Hamiltons allow the PN to do patrol/EEZ missions/ASW in a limited amount and maybe even deliver SF guys inland. They can also be ungraded with a better radar and harpoon ASM. And they have astounding range so over all a perfect fit sense its also coming very cheap.

dazzerler1

Banned Member
You forget they are also fighting a war. They need Good CAS aircraft. They need patrol vessels for the same reasons and for lawenforcment and such also.

The Hamiltons allow the PN to do patrol/EEZ missions/ASW in a limited amount and maybe even deliver SF guys inland. They can also be ungraded with a better radar and harpoon ASM. And they have astounding range so over all a perfect fit sense its also coming very cheap.
You basically hit the nail on the head with your post Belesari. 2 Hamiltons can't do the job of patrolling their vast naval territory. Even 3 or 4 of these vessels are not enough. Somebody was saying they don't have the financial capability of acquiring what they need militarily, now they're able to upgrade the Hamiltons with better radars and harpoons? Where is the cash coming from? I would surely think they're not growing them from trees, although the Philippines is known for their lumber industry and forests? :hehe

fretburner

Banned Member
Defense is NOT the No.1 Priority. If it was, we could buy a few squadrons of F-16s and some high tech Frigates. The truth is, there's a bunch of other sectors which needs the money more than the DND. Unless you want to starve 90M or so people like the model North Korea is taking? I'm pretty sure defense is one of their top priorities, if not the top.

dazzerler1

Banned Member
Defense is NOT the No.1 Priority. If it was, we could buy a few squadrons of F-16s and some high tech Frigates. The truth is, there's a bunch of other sectors which needs the money more than the DND. Unless you want to starve 90M or so people like the model North Korea is taking? I'm pretty sure defense is one of their top priorities, if not the top.
Name some sectors fretburner! When you stated "we" I'm assuming that you're connected in some capacity with the Philippine government. If defense is not the number priority then stop complaining if your country is being bullied and you can't protect what you're claiming to be your territory (Spratly, Scarborough Shoal, etc). Also, where is the 90M number of people come from? Are you saying that out of 97.6M, the government is supporting 90M people on welfare? Is there a welfare system in the Philippines? Are you just exaggerating on the number of people that will starve if not given assistance by the government? How much money is the government giving these people, P20 a day, month, etc? Or the money budgeted for defense is going to the pockets of high ranking officials?

ManilaBoy

Banned Member
Back to Topic please and let's keep the politics out of this PN discussion thread as the moderators here will not tolerate this arguments to go on any further ...

dazzerler1

Banned Member
Back to Topic please and let's keep the politics out of this PN discussion thread as the moderators here will not tolerate this arguments to go on any further ...
I disagree! This is the type of discussions we should be having instead of just copying and pasting newspaper articles and reading them. What are actually the root causes why the Philippine government is unable to budget for their defensive purposes to protect their territory? Just saying we don't have the money to buy military hardware and not explaining why is BS.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Name some sectors fretburner! When you stated "we" I'm assuming that you're connected in some capacity with the Philippine government. If defense is not the number priority then stop complaining if your country is being bullied and you can't protect what you're claiming to be your territory (Spratly, Scarborough Shoal, etc). Also, where is the 90M number of people come from? Are you saying that out of 97.6M, the government is supporting 90M people on welfare? Is there a welfare system in the Philippines? Are you just exaggerating on the number of people that will starve if not given assistance by the government? How much money is the government giving these people, P20 a day, month, etc? Or the money budgeted for defense is going to the pockets of high ranking officials?
Why would you assume he's connected to the Philippine government? He was just using "we" in a general sense, which I take to mean he's from the Philippines. Also why are you being so combative in your posts? You seem to care a lot about this issue, but some of the language you've used in this thread seems unnecessarily inflammatory.

And yes, please keep the politics out of it. That's not negotiable by the way.

dazzerler1

Banned Member
Why would you assume he's connected to the Philippine government? He was just using "we" in a general sense, which I take to mean he's from the Philippines. Also why are you being so combative in your posts? You seem to care a lot about this issue, but some of the language you've used in this thread seems unnecessarily inflammatory.

And yes, please keep the politics out of it. That's not negotiable by the way.
Bonza, I understand that you are a Super Moderator based on your title. I don't want to argue the point of using "we" or "I" in this forum. However, where I come from, when someone uses the "I" or "We", that person or individuals are closely related/affiliated with the organization(s). I don't intend to be combative with my posts, I'm just trying to promote more meaningful debate about the topic. Hope you understand my intentions/objectives? I apologize otherwise if you think that my posts are inflammatory based on your standards...not my true intentions. I care much about the issue because I always go for the underdog(s), the small guy(s) so to speak. I just don't believe that (IMHO) the government of the Philippines is putting enough effort to alleviate their military morass.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bonza, I understand that you are a Super Moderator based on your title. I don't want to argue the point of using "we" or "I" in this forum. However, where I come from, when someone uses the "I" or "We", that person or individuals are closely related/affiliated with the organization(s). I don't intend to be combative with my posts, I'm just trying to promote more meaningful debate about the topic. Hope you understand my intentions/objectives? I apologize otherwise if you think that my posts are inflammatory based on your standards...not my true intentions. I care much about the issue because I always go for the underdog(s), the small guy(s) so to speak. I just don't believe that (IMHO) the government of the Philippines is putting enough effort to alleviate their military morass.
All good mate, meaningful debate sounds good to me, I just think "we" was in this case being used in a more general sense than as representing a government entity. But like I said, all good, we try not to get into politics too heavily on these forums, as I'm sure you can imagine this can cause threads to get out of hand quickly. Cheers for understanding.

Last edited: