Philippine Navy Discussion and Updates

STURM

Allowing CIWS to remain would expose current classified FC technology as well as require GDP to have a fairly sophisticated working combat systems suite. Not to mention additional maintenance, parts and cost that do not fit into current PN requirements. Despite now being effectively the AFP's largest surface combatant, GDP is not intended right now to stand up to a hardcore missile engagement. Think more of OPV...
Thanks for the feedback. I can understand the Phalanx being taken off because it woul require funds to operate and mantain but I don't get the part about the classified FC technology. Other countries including Malaysia have in the past received ex-US ships with Phalanx.

Juramentado

Thanks for the feedback. I can understand the Phalanx being taken off because it woul require funds to operate and mantain but I don't get the part about the classified FC technology. Other countries including Malaysia have in the past received ex-US ships with Phalanx.
When you decomm, you typically remove anything even remotely classified, and if you're handing a weapons system over, even to a friendly entity, certain aspects are removed or disabled. It may be functional, but will require replacement of the removed functions or components if they're critical to the system working at a certain baseline level. For example, radar systems will be reverted to a certain factory-default or have nation-specific capabilities like the selling country's IFF code interrogation logic board removed, or a less-precise terrain-mapping mode enabled. Just because they handed them over an R2-D2 on the stern doesn't mean it's the exact same CIWS on an Arleigh Burke Flight IIA. Nope, sometimes, the best weapons are the ones you built and tested yourself...

ManilaBoy

Banned Member
Thanks.. I knew they were old but not that old:) just maintain them properly and you'll still get many years of good use out of them.
Your welcome, yes I'm sure they are still in good condition if the RAN is offerring it for sale otherewise no country would be interested in acquiring them plus with the extra packages included in the deal it might be worth taking a look for the PN at this offer...

Shorty_72

There is some talk in the other defense forum about a rep from Raytheon offering the PN their latest Phalanx variant...although no other sources to confirm this. I dunno if the PN will be investing heavily on an "interim" vessel.

ManilaBoy

Banned Member
There is some talk in the other defense forum about a rep from Raytheon offering the PN their latest Phalanx variant...although no other sources to confirm this. I dunno if the PN will be investing heavily on an "interim" vessel.
Well if the price and offer is right, then why not...Yes, the PN will have to invest on the 3 Ex-USCG Hamilton class cutters to improve it's armaments and communication/navigation equiptments since it will probably be in serivce for at least the next 10 to15 years at a minimum...

ed famie

There was a recent news article that South Korea is planning to donate 1 of it's PoHang class corvette to the PN next year, if this news is accurate then it would become the 1st warship that will have ASM and ASW capability for the dilapidated agency...

DEFENSE STUDIES: South Korea to Gift Corvette to Philippines Navy
yes i read it in defense -studies.blogspot.com and it was also on the news written in strategypage.com, the Po Hang class corvette are 1200 tons warship and according to the news it is armed with four harpoon anti-ship missiles, one 76 mm cannon, two twin 40 mm automatic cannon, six torpedo tubes and 12 depth charges, it has also a radar and a sonar with a speed of 59 kilometers an hour. the news said the south korean government donated it to phil. government for its navy, it's another big bootst to the morale of the navy

colay

Why stop at a single ship? There's a fleet of 24 ships that are due for retirement and the Koreans are obviously in a generous mood.. Malacanang should seize the moment and try to secure additional vessels.

Shorty_72

Well, if the donation of the SK corvette is true then in all likelihood it's a sweetener for the MRV and LIFT purchase. Nobody gives away anything without something in return...:cool:

Kalasag

Why stop at a single ship? There's a fleet of 24 ships that are due for retirement and the Koreans are obviously in a generous mood.. Malacanang should seize the moment and try to secure additional vessels.
Malacanang could probably open up more investment opportunities for Koreans and give them more special privileges in the country. Also, any news on the Korean name of the ship? I haven't read any news that Korea was planning to retire soon every Pohang class ship too.

ManilaBoy

Banned Member
S. Korea is retiring the 4 early type models PoHang class corvettes of which 2 has been decommissioned already, the 1st one PCC-756 was retired in 2009 and is now a museum is it's hometown name while the 2nd one PCC-757 was recently retired last month and is heading to Columbia as a donation while PCC-758 and PCC-759 is next in line for decommissioning which will probably happen in 2012...

ed famie

S. Korea is retiring the 4 early type models PoHang class corvettes of which 2 has been decommissioned already, the 1st one PCC-756 was retired in 2009 and is now a museum is it's hometown name while the 2nd one PCC-757 was recently retired last month and is heading to Columbia as a donation while PCC-758 and PCC-759 is next in line for decommissioning which will probably happen in 2012...
is the PCC-759 going to be in the Philippines as donation too?

ManilaBoy

Banned Member
is the PCC-759 going to be in the Philippines as donation too?
So far the only announcement that's been made is that only PCC-758 will be transfer to the PN as a donation but it is possible that additional class type corvette could be given or sold at a friendly price if S. Korea has no use for them...

adroth

Very curious as to why it was removed. Any ideas?
The USCG modernization program is behind schedule and costing more than initially expected. They can ill afford to donate equipment that can still actually be used on other ships.

Based on a USCG publication, the electronics suite of decommissioned WHECs would be used as spares for the remaining WHECs. The CIWS would presumably be transferred to the new National Security Cutters.

adroth

So far the only announcement that's been made is that only PCC-758 will be transfer to the PN as a donation but it is possible that additional class type corvette could be given or sold at a friendly price if S. Korea has no use for them...
Who made the announcement?

ManilaBoy

Banned Member
Clinton assured the PN of a 2nd Cutter: US assures Manila of 2nd warship amid Spratlys row. And we're getting it for "free" :)

I guess this will be another Hamilton-class WHEC?

Yes it has been confirmed that the 2nd cutter will be the USCGC Dallas WHEC-716 which is homeported out of South Carolina, a PN delegation team recently conducted an inspection of the said vessel a few weeks ago... There would be a transfer cost involved just like the 1st one so it is not totally 'FREE' !

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
Yes it has been confirmed that the 2nd cutter will be the USCGC Dallas WHEC-716 which is homeported out of South Carolina, a PN delegation team recently conducted an inspection of the said vessel a few weeks ago... There would be a transfer cost involved just like the 1st one so it is not totally 'FREE' !
The costs of a 'hot' transfer are usually the costs of crew training + ship servicing (refurbishment and maintenance ). Unavoidable, pretty much regardless of ship source.

See McInerney (Perry class frigate) transfer to Pakistan: $65 million.

Such cost may be finances through FMS - military aid. (cheap loans)

niftyDolphine

This is good news for the PN even for a 40+ yr old ship; its still 'free'. These vessels have a lot of range and endurance; I just hope our men are trained for long periods of deployment/operation.

Is the PN going to equip these Hamilton class cutters with air search radars? Im still hoping that they do so that we will be able to patrol our territorial waters properly.