Pakistani Naval Acquisitions - Note: THIS IS NOT A WISHLIST THREAD!!!

Skygrasper

Over the past decade, the Pakistan Navy has been inking some large and small deals, but since its been so long, I just want to know what the list includes, so if anyone can help me, that'd be great, thanks! BTW,
So far I concluded the following;
  • 3 Agosta-90B Attack Submarines
  • 4 Fast Patrol Boats from Turkey
  • 4 F-22P Guided Missile Frigates (note sure if this was signed yet)
  • 2 Jalalat Class Missile Boats + 1 reported on order
  • 1 Larkana Class Large Patrol Boat
  • 3 used Lynx Helicopters?
  • 6 used P-3Cs - Efforts to acquire....
Anything to add???

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
There could be some sort of a deal to get some midgets. Some PN officers ive tlked to tell me if the PAF can get mirages off libya, then they can get libyan midgets as well. also some proposals are under evaluation calling for the development of a rescue fleet for the subs in case they get damged or stranded.

Roger Smith

adsH said:
there are other P3 c that Pak navy had i think there are 4 more i'm not sure.
PN had originally 3 P3, one crashed and now it has 2 P3. I heard the USA will provide some additional P3s in the military aid package. Good for PN. :smokingc:

Oqaab

corsair7772 said:
There could be some sort of a deal to get some midgets. Some PN officers ive tlked to tell me if the PAF can get mirages off libya, then they can get libyan midgets as well. also some proposals are under evaluation calling for the development of a rescue fleet for the subs in case they get damged or stranded.
Arent we making midget submarines under license ?

These mini-submarines will be useless. Did some great job in WWII against the US, but cant do much in modern wars.

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
Oqaab said:
These mini-submarines will be useless. Did some great job in WWII against the US, but cant do much in modern wars.
huh?!?

Japanese minisubs failed miserably against USN, as did German minisubs against RN around Europe. There were some interesting exchanges between RN and Italian navy in the mediterranean though using 'çhariots'. RN used minisubs to some effect against the Germans e.g. reconnaissance for D-Day beaches, disabling of battleship Tirpitz in Norwegian fjord.

I'ld say minisubs are mainly suited for covert, recon and special ops, but not much else.

Oqaab

tatra said:
huh?!?

Japanese minisubs failed miserably against USN, as did German minisubs against RN around Europe. There were some interesting exchanges between RN and Italian navy in the mediterranean though using 'çhariots'. RN used minisubs to some effect against the Germans e.g. reconnaissance for D-Day beaches, disabling of battleship Tirpitz in Norwegian fjord.

I'ld say minisubs are mainly suited for covert, recon and special ops, but not much else.
Midget subs were the secret weapon of Japanese navy. One of the five submarines was lost.

I dont think those old mini-submarines can sink huge Kilo class subs.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The largest midget builder are the north koreans. I did have a source that indicated that Pakistan had midgets in the 80's. Those vessels were rumoured to be Italian.

It's been so long ago that I couldn't even begin to remember where I saw it.

India is looking at US assistance in developing a DSRV.

adsH

gf0012-aust said:
isn't this abit risky since the US hasn't allowed anyone to get hold of this technology. this was the US top secret Ability, during the Cold War when these Vessels were recovering Soviet Subs (for information) lying deap under water and tapping into the Soviet communication lines which were largly unencrypted and unguarded,

i know DSVR has distinctively differnt role then a Recon Sub but a DSRV could be adapted to be used as recon, Couldn't it?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
adsH said:
gf0012-aust said:
isn't this abit risky since the US hasn't allowed anyone to get hold of this technology. this was the US top secret Ability, during the Cold War when these Vessels were recovering Soviet Subs (for information) lying deap under water and tapping into the Soviet communication lines which were largly unencrypted and unguarded,

i know DSVR has distinctively differnt role then a Recon Sub but a DSRV could be adapted to be used as recon, Couldn't it?
There are a number of nations that have DSRV capability. Australia has one as well that was built specifically for sub rescue operations. It uses a universal collar so that it can be used for rescue work on non Aust platforms

You could use a DSRV for reccon work, but it would really depend on the platform. The bulk of them are mothership dependant or are tethered umbilically to a resources vessel. That makes autonomous operations impossible.

Truly autonomous DSRV's are a rare beast.

yasin_khan

I think friends the topic was "Pakistani Naval Acquisitions".Please stick to the topic.

Admin: When you get to be an admin, then you get to say when the topic has gone off subject!

adsH

CIWS something PAk Navy is being offered form the US to counter indian Brohmos, GF could you explain how it would work out, ive heard it has one of the fastest reacting Radars specifically designed to take out fast flying low observable targets. the system the US has is the Vulcan Phlanx, but this is the last resort defensive system how effective is it.