Not open for further replies.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Re: Russian 5th Generation Fighter !

I'm going to dot point answers or this will chew up bandwidth

hot222 said:
So if vector thrusting is not important, why is going to be used at F-22s and F-35s? Seems useful now?
F-35 won't have thrust vectoring
F-22 has TVC built into the design (and it's a 20 year old design as well, some people are forgetting the diff in design philosophies pre 1989 and current). The TVC that is retro fitted stands out proud. The RCS of an Su-27 without TVC is like looking at a bus, add TVC and IRST at certain aspects will be singing like Pavarotti. Compare the RCS of the two planes in normal aspect and you don't have to be a Nobel Prize winner to work our who's detection rate has just gone up.
TVC in missiles wasn't even a reality until the last few years.

hot222 said:
By the way I want to show that they have the power to be pioneers in aviation.
and the clear expectation is that the F-22 and F-35 will be the last manned western fighters built. so, yes, they certainly will be pioneers

hot222 said:
About AMRAAMs and kills BVR, it a story. There are many technics to avoid it and countermesures to "brake lock". Specially when it's from far away and have time for reaction.

How that happened? Fly at a 90 deg. angle to missiles vector, ECMs on missile radar (any integrated system will automatically try to brake lock to any foreign radar energy), and when comes inside of a 2-3 km range, brake hard towards to missile, will firing chaffs. This will force the missile to turn also a lot of harder to maintain lead at the aircraft. But it will have travelled for a long way, with the engine out.
LOL, you're actually serious?

The F-22 is designed to close the gap to approx half of the WVR release before launch. Do the maths. Mach 4.5 missile released at 5-7km and then volleyed as well. Pilot initiated evasive manouvres at 7km with a Mach4.5 missile? The Pilot cannot react in that window where the speed of the meeting engagement will probably be in the order of mach5-6 Human reflexes on a salvo? I don't think so.

At 5-7km the energy of the missile is still incredibly high - it hasn't reached any terminal expenditure. Kinematic rates are still very very very high. Just a dual launch will increase the kill chances commensurately.

One of the primary reasons for stealth is to close the gap to ensure the kill. shorter the gap, the higher the probability. change from single to dual to tri-seekers and the chances diminish depressingly quickly. The RAAF studied countermeasures to "brake lock" within months of the Paris event. The work around was developed amongst numerous airforces soon after. To continue to spout it as an effective breach manouvre is somewhat enthusiastic if not dishonest. However, if people want to ignore the maths, and ignore technology changes to seekers and missile technology since then - well, more fool them.

hot222 said:
Believe it or not, there is not and never will be the "pefrect" weapon.
Nobody is saying that. But still sprouting a response that was effectively dismissed at air warfare conferences starting from 2001 in London, and then successfully countered in combat flyoffs both real and computer sim'd is a head in the sand approach. Since then the USAF has successfully trialed tri-seekers in TVC missiles. At 5km you can kiss most pilots goodbye. Do you seriously think that the USAF hasn't dummied the brake lock manouvre with their F-22's?

Finally, like most arguments where people argue vociferously that "x" platform is better than "y" platform, they forget that combat is holographic - there are other systems outside of the cockpit that influence and contribute to the outcome. The F-22 on its own will be bad enough, the f-22 in a sympathetic environment supported by atypical USAF/ELINT/EWARFARE/COMINT assets will be a nightmare.

Modern combat is not about biggles sitting in a plane and outflying the red baron, it's about cohesive use of systems working in a sympathetic manner.

highsea

gf0012-aust said:
Modern combat is not about biggles sitting in a plane and outflying the red baron, it's about cohesive use of systems working in a sympathetic manner.
That sums it up nicely, I would say... :D

hot222

Or US never find a way to munipilate that technology.

BVR definetely is not 5-7km! Sure it's meant to be 20km or more!

Well and when and it will know that is a range of 5km from the enemy aircraft? And where exactly is the enemy aircrft? What type of missile is AMRAAM? How F-22 will lock-on an enemy acft and how AMRAAM?

At Mach 4,5, a 10deg/sec turn, how many gs produce? When missile's engine will flame out (no thrust production from that point).

At 5km it's a close combat - dogfight - and propably the other guy will have visual on you...if you know what I mean!

So next generation pilot will fly straight and level, and making kills just pushing buttons? They are never learn about split "S" and Immelman attack, or scissors?

No my friend. The rise of the robots is not here yet. Pilots now, moreover have to understand the situation, when a variety of sensors will "bomb" them with all kind of info. But they still have to fly the plane and not being sitting ducks.

As you refer to F-22, its main advantage; its supersonic cruise.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

hot222 said:
Or US never find a way to munipilate that technology.

BVR definetely is not 5-7km! Sure it's meant to be 20km or more!.
who's talking about 5-6km as being BVR? It's WVR. If you've seen any of the proposed engagement profiles of the F-22 they're all talking about closing the gap at WVR so as to shorten the no escape zone. at 5-7km the kinematics of an AA missile (sidewinder nn) will be high as buggery - you won't be losing any energy at the apex

hot222 said:
At Mach 4,5, a 10deg/sec turn, how many gs produce? When missile's engine will flame out (no thrust production from that point).
No, incorrect. look at the engagement profiles of a Sidewinder or any curent generation WVR missile

hot222 said:
At 5km it's a close combat - dogfight - and propably the other guy will have visual on you...if you know what I mean!
errr no, they've already done the "clubbing the baby seals tests" with a flight of F-15's. then I can add the example of stinkbugs over Bagdhad. There are numerous recorded instances of stinkers having aircraft pass WVR and not seeing the plane. refer to "bandits over bagdhad" for numerous pilot accounts of how visual stealth works in realtime

hot222 said:
So next generation pilot will fly straight and level, and making kills just pushing buttons? They are never learn about split "S" and Immelman attack, or scissors?
maybe in your airforce they won't learn the craft - but pilot training is actually more complex - you don't learn less - you learn more.

hot222 said:
No my friend. The rise of the robots is not here yet. Pilots now, moreover have to understand the situation, when a variety of sensors will "bomb" them with all kind of info. But they still have to fly the plane and not being sitting ducks.
what airforce goes to battle in the 21st century without being cognisant of sympathetic systems? - no modern ones that I can think of. pay attention to the quantum leaps made by UCAVs just in the last 12 months. more amd more sympathetic/co-operative autonomous handoffs are being achieved day by day. it will be a long while before autonomous combat aircraft get to play by themselves, but you ignore the fact that competent powers dictate the environment that their assets play in.

average powers go out and meet on the battlefield and hope that their champions come home with the most ears. those days started fast fading in 1991

hot222 said:
As you refer to F-22, its main advantage; its supersonic cruise.
which amazingly enough is also a handling advantage at WVR. it's all about thrust and inertia. being biggles is not as high as an advantage as it was 50 years ago. the reason why we have complex systems on board is so that the pilot processes less and concentrates more on a busy engagement area. everyone assumes that there is more than 2 planes in those multiple cubic miles of space they will cross wings over.

Last edited:

hot222

I was answer to adsH about AMRAAMs which is a BVR missile. So better next time check before you speak.

I find out that you are thinking you are too expert. Everything you say it's good for commercial. Not real life. There are matters that you cannot see. You are amazed of things that might be happened.

We haven't see F-22 in service yet. So tell me, you expert, how F-22 will lock-on and ID ah enemy aircraft? What sensor is going to use? Answer that first and then will go on.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

hot222 said:
I was answer to adsH about AMRAAMs which is a BVR missile. So better next time check before you speak..
perhaps if you learn to direct your answers to the appropriate people then the confusion will be diminished.

hot222 said:
I find out that you are thinking you are too expert. Everything you say it's good for commercial. Not real life. There are matters that you cannot see. You are amazed of things that might be happened.
I actually do some of this stuff for a living - thanks for trying to be helpful

hot222 said:
We haven't see F-22 in service yet.
No, but there are 2 training squadrons active. Thats in excess of 42 aircraft flying around as OCU's. I reckon that there may be some detail in the mix that isn't around in the public arena.

hot222 said:
So tell me, you expert, how F-22 will lock-on and ID ah enemy aircraft? What sensor is going to use? Answer that first and then will go on.
are you seriously expecting 5th generation engagement techniques to be out in the public arena? Or are you being mischievous? You do understand that the USAF doesn't operate fixed wing combat assets in isolation? So as nice as it is to want to try and compare a platform to platform exercise, the reality of it is that war is about systems vs systems. plane vs plane contacts were last held over Ethiopia. Now tell me where you think that US is going to commit its pride and joy in an unsupported environment?

btw learn some manners - you're testing my patience.

Last edited:

hot222

gf0012-aust said:
perhaps if you learn to direct your answers to the appropriate people then the confusion will be diminished.
You have right to that point.
gf0012-aust said:
I actually do some of this stuff for a living - thanks for trying to be helpful
Are you the only one?
gf0012-aust said:
are you seriously expecting 5th generation engagement techniques to be out in the public arena? Or are you being mischievous? You do understand that the USAF doesn't operate fixed wing combat assets in isolation? So as nice as it is to want to try and compare a platform to platform exercise, the reality of it is that war is about systems vs systems. plane vs plane contacts were last held over Ethiopia. Now tell me where you think that US is going to commit its pride and joy in an unsupported environment?
Of course i don't expect to see them in public. But you mean that have access to that kind of information? Also none AF do the job sending a single fighter. And by the way did I compare F-22 with something else. I just spoke about technics to avoid an incoming BVR missile.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

hot222 said:
Are you the only one?
Not at all, and I know my limitations. I'd be deferring to some others on here like Gremlin or Highsea for some of this.

hot222 said:
Of course i don't expect to see them in public. But you mean that have access to that kind of information?
I see theoreticals at various conferences etc... being discussed - but none that would be promoted in an open environment. It's just not done.

hot222 said:
Also none AF do the job sending a single fighter. And by the way did I compare F-22 with something else. I just spoke about technics to avoid an incoming BVR missile.
To get those theoreticals its easier to hang around the platform or jock sites where pilots do actually discuss some of this in vague terms. even then you will not see too many current pilots talking about real tactics. It's just not done. A lot of the current responses revolve around systems and other "interactants" - pilots aren't in the habit of providing detail in open sources where others are eagerly watching.

I'm not a pilot, my background is primarily acoustics/signature management, and project management for various platforms. Signature management in current systems has some extensive core commonality be it between combat aircraft, ballistics, skimmers or subs.

hot222

Being a pilot, I know that there is a huge difference from research and testing of a sytem to the real combat. Most of the times gives less than it had been promised, or mulfuctioning or working in degraded mode. Real life means that sometimes you have a "supersystem" which fails cause of the cooler!

Pendekar

there's a story going around about how in several occasions Iraqi MIG-29 and 25 was able to out maneuvre the AMRAAM when they flee to Iran during GW1.

hot222

Boeing Official site:

"Engines: The F/A-22 will incorporate Pratt & Whitney's new F119 engine. Designed for efficient supersonic operation without afterburner use (supercruise), and with increased durability over today's engines, the F119 is a very high thrust-to-weight ratio engine. Advanced technologies in the F119 include integrated flight-propulsion controls and two-dimensional, thrust-vectoring engine nozzles."

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Pendekar said:
there's a story going around about how in several occasions Iraqi MIG-29 and 25 was able to out maneuvre the AMRAAM when they flee to Iran during GW1.
Unfortunately there's something wrong with that story.

GW1 started in Jan 1991
The war lasted less than 100 days
The bulk of all Iraqi fixed wing combat aircraft were grounded within 10 days (including the ones which escaped to Iran and were actually not persued aggressively anyway, IIRC, they nailed some early runners, but then decided to let some go as they knew that the Iraqis were unlikely to be able to get them back. Irans intentions were pretty obvious. "oh look ma, free planes from our former enemy")
The entire Iraqi fixed wing combat element was thus out of action within 45 days. Only some of the rotors were still up - and they were getting harassed by A-10's when they did come up for air.

AMRAAM wasn't gold until late 1991 (Sept-Oct) and was not in Theatre anyway initially.

I'd suggest that whoever told the story has no idea about what missile they were talking about.

I might be fuzzy on some dates, but I would guess that Highsea and/or Gremlin will poke me in the eye if I'm wrong. ;)

Last edited:

highsea

No, You are correct gf, the AMRAAM wasn't used in GW1. The first AMRAAM kill was in December 1992, when an F-16D patrolling the southern no-fly zone shot down a MiG-25 that had crossed the line and tried to engage the F-16.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

highsea said:
No, You are correct gf, the AMRAAM wasn't used in GW1. The first AMRAAM kill was in December 1992, when an F-16D patrolling the southern no-fly zone shot down a MiG-25 that had crossed the line and tried to engage the F-16.
Thank goodness for that, I'd be mortified if I was busted for making a story up. ;)

My memory still preserves my integrity!

Pendekar

Officially, they don't use the missiles until december 1992. but in the early part of the war, several US airforce and navy fighters have been equip with this missile to test it in the realistic operations. it produce a less then satisfactory results (the prove is the ability of the Migs to evade it) and was immediatly withdrawn for further R&D. The december 1992 engagement is also a test, but it was made public because the AMRAAM by that time have proven to be operationaly capable.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Pendekar said:
Officially, they don't use the missiles until december 1992. but in the early part of the war, several US airforce and navy fighters have been equip with this missile to test it in the realistic operations. it produce a less then satisfactory results (the prove is the ability of the Migs to evade it) and was immediatly withdrawn for further R&D. The december 1992 engagement is also a test, but it was made public because the AMRAAM by that time have proven to be operationaly capable.
Can your contact show me the pre-gold trials evidence?

Let me know as I can validate it with one of the people who do foreign military weapons testing in the USAF. He was part of the evaluation group who looked at the Mig-29 and Mig-25, and other captured assets.

So some of us are in a position to check - it's not difficult. - and it won't be classified as it's redundant info.

Does your source understand that the USAF nailed Mig-25's with beamriders? - thats even before the AMRAAM was released. Missiles are tested against "QF"s or missiles emulating the target - they just don't wait for a war to field test systems.

The Iraqis moved their fastjets to the Iranian side of the border as they didn't want to risk losing them - except for the ones that got smoked by special forces teams.

Ask him what month and what planes are supposed to have made unsuccessful launches.

btw - Mig-25 kills: (note that they were being killed with earlier generation missiles - so an AMRAAM which is a 1 to 1.5 generations later would hardly be expected to fail where Sparrows hadn't)

Israeli Air Force
13-Feb-81 Benyamin Zinker F-15A MiG-25 Syria
29-Jul-81 Sha'ul Simon F-15A MiG-25 Syria
31-Aug-82 Sha'ul Simon F-15C MiG-25 Syria

USAF
19Jan91 58TFS/33TFW R.Tollini F-15C/85-0101 AIM-7M MiG-25PD 1 sqn IrAF

27Dec92 F-16"C" downs a MiG-25 with AIM-120

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Just had a confirm from my contact in USAF

No AMRAAMs were dummied in GW1. Interestingly enough 6 x Mig 29's were killed over Serbia with AMRAAM. A dud shot was recorded when 2 missiles hit the same target. They didn't think it approp to claim 2 missiles striking one platform.

The '25 kill in KTO was a SNFZ breach.

highsea

Alektas said:
This website has a thorough archive of the performance of both NATO airforce and Yugoslav airdefence and airforce.
http://www.aeronautics.ru/
Aletkas, that site is not credible wrt NATO and Yugo losses- the numbers are all from Yugoslavian generals, news stories during the conflict, etc. NATO AC are all serialized and accounted for. We know where every airframe is- it's public data. It would be impossible to hide the losses that Venik claims- there are too many people involved. It's really pretty simple- you count them when they take off, and you count them when they land. While there were a number of NATO AC damaged over Serbia, there were only two that were shot down in hostile territory- one F-117 and one F-16.

Pendakar- gf is right, there were no AMRAAM's used in GW1. Some sources say that a few were sent over, but that is unconfirmed by any official record. Certainly none were fired, and if there were any at all in theatre, it was in very small numbers. Incidentally, IOC was in September 1991, so the kill in December 1992 was not a "test".

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Alektas said:
I have to correct that number. NATO destroyed not more than three Yugoslavian Mig-29 aircraft. Most of the time the expensive bombs were hitting dummies on the ground.
http://www.aeronautics.ru/nws001/countingmigs.htm

This website has a thorough archive of the performance of both NATO airforce and Yugoslav airdefence and airforce.
http://www.aeronautics.ru/
Sorry, we've had and been through this before. That site has made a number of claims before about less kills which have proved to be wrong. It at one stage even made a claim anout a non existant B-52 kill by the serbs

Note that the Mig-29 kills I refer to are missile kills not bombs

Status
Not open for further replies.