Osama Bin Laden dead

fretburner

Banned Member
I was able to watch the discovery channel feature yesterday about the Bin Laden raid. And it got me thinking...

How about those Chinooks?

They only mentioned about stealthy blackhawks... but the Chinooks are larger and were supposed to be hovering the entire time the SEALs went after Bin Laden. They're prime candidate for detection. Were they stealthy as well?

Palnatoke

Banned Member
I was able to watch the discovery channel feature yesterday about the Bin Laden raid. And it got me thinking...

How about those Chinooks?

They only mentioned about stealthy blackhawks... but the Chinooks are larger and were supposed to be hovering the entire time the SEALs went after Bin Laden. They're prime candidate for detection. Were they stealthy as well?
I have thought of the same.
Well Let me air a conspiracy theory:

Some of the Pakistanies, that will be at least be the air defense, knew that the americans were coming.
I can't believe that the US would sendt in 3+ helicopters betting that the pakistanies wouldn't detect them and consequvently shoot them down (which I feel confident that the pakistanies could have).

So let's guess that the higher echelon of the pakistani system was notified, that certain radar stations and air defense system and airforce personelle had taken a night off etc....

Afterwards the president of pakistan could blame the americans for the death of OBL - that many people in that part of the world regard as a hero. a win-win situation.

The strength of the secret weapon of the stealthy black hawks, was that it provided a plausible explaination on why the americans could pierce a well defended air space - but the loss of one disclosed that non-stealthy helicopters was also around, blowing the stealthy story out of the water.

My2Cents

I have thought of the same.
Well Let me air a conspiracy theory:

Some of the Pakistanies, that will be at least be the air defense, knew that the americans were coming.
I can't believe that the US would sendt in 3+ helicopters betting that the pakistanies wouldn't detect them and consequvently shoot them down (which I feel confident that the pakistanies could have).

So let's guess that the higher echelon of the pakistani system was notified, that certain radar stations and air defense system and airforce personelle had taken a night off etc....
The Pakistani’s have very little in the way of radar and air defense on their western frontier, it is all concentrated on the eastern frontier facing India.

When they got mad at the Coalition in Afghanistan a couple(?) years ago for helicopters firing over the border at Taliban fighters firing mortars into Afghanistan they moved some moved some 23mm AAA mounts to the frontier forts, but that is about it. With all the convoluted terrain and little more than civilian radar coverage, the US probably could have pulled off the raid even without the stealth choppers. :rolleyes:

surpreme

The Pakistani’s have very little in the way of radar and air defense on their western frontier, it is all concentrated on the eastern frontier facing India.

When they got mad at the Coalition in Afghanistan a couple(?) years ago for helicopters firing over the border at Taliban fighters firing mortars into Afghanistan they moved some moved some 23mm AAA mounts to the frontier forts, but that is about it. With all the convoluted terrain and little more than civilian radar coverage, the US probably could have pulled off the raid even without the stealth choppers. :rolleyes:
That area should have some kind of radar or ADS you had Russia Air Force in the 80's it don't make sense not to have any there. I do believe the Pakistan have most of there ADS in the eastern area toward India. For someone to be in a spot for 7 years is odd.

Now ever in the U.S. I live beside a fugitive who stay in a place for years and no one knew made a mistake and call family and got caught. That was a surprise to me couldn't believe it.

My2Cents

That area should have some kind of radar or ADS you had Russia Air Force in the 80's it don't make sense not to have any there. I do believe the Pakistan have most of there ADS in the eastern area toward India. For someone to be in a spot for 7 years is odd.

Now ever in the U.S. I live beside a fugitive who stay in a place for years and no one knew made a mistake and call family and got caught. That was a surprise to me couldn't believe it.
Air traffic control radar exists in that region, but most, if not all, the ADS radar has been removed since the end of the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan. The western half of Pakistan are only nominally under government control, and, unless heavily defended, any radar site is libel to be overrun and destroyed in event of a dispute between the government and a local tribe. Likewise any large AA missiles are more likely to be captured or destroyed than used. And the government has almost certainly kept any MADPADS out of the region because of fear that they would end up in al-Qaeda/Taliban hands.

fretburner

Banned Member
Another thing that bugs me is that there were supposed to be 2 Chinooks and 2 Blackhawks and the mission from touch down to extraction was 90 minutes. With their "West Point" a kilometer away, how come they didn't do anything when they heard those helos and explosions? Only 1 guy did something about it -- tweeted about it.

surpreme

Another thing that bugs me is that there were supposed to be 2 Chinooks and 2 Blackhawks and the mission from touch down to extraction was 90 minutes. With their "West Point" a kilometer away, how come they didn't do anything when they heard those helos and explosions? Only 1 guy did something about it -- tweeted about it.
It was just to close to a major installation for no one to be alerted about this. He probably stay to long it was a matter of time before he would get caught. It depend on there security enplacement who was there couple guards. The saiding goes keep your enemy close.