OPV's for Australia?

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
Sounds more like something along the lines of Denmark's Thetis class may be needed.

Sea Toby

Yes, the Danish Thetis class has twice the displacement of the New Zealand OPV, these ships are serving in the large Greenland EEZ area. The Thetis will go 9,000 nautical miles at 15 knots, the New Zealand OPV 6,000 nautical miles at 16 knots. Unlike the New Zealand OPV, the Danish Thetis class has weight and space saved for other weapons systems that have not yet been installed. While the New Zealand ship cannot be upgraded to a frigate, the Thetis can weapon systems wise, but it will never go faster than an OPV, only 21 knots tops. Of course, by the time you paid for and finished the upgrade, you'll be better off with an Anzac class frigate.

Rocco_NZ

Sea Toby said:
Yes, the Danish Thetis class has twice the displacement of the New Zealand OPV, these ships are serving in the large Greenland EEZ area. The Thetis will go 9,000 nautical miles at 15 knots, the New Zealand OPV 6,000 nautical miles at 16 knots. Unlike the New Zealand OPV, the Danish Thetis class has weight and space saved for other weapons systems that have not yet been installed. While the New Zealand ship cannot be upgraded to a frigate, the Thetis can weapon systems wise, but it will never go faster than an OPV, only 21 knots tops. Of course, by the time you paid for and finished the upgrade, you'll be better off with an Anzac class frigate.
You'll probably find the hull shape isn't suitable for our part of the world either.

Sea Toby

Not this time. The Thetis was designed with the rough and tough North Atlantic in mind, not the Adriatic or Mediterrean. Sorry to disappoint!

However, I am not convinced Australia needs a 3600 ton OPV, while a 1600 ton New Zealand OPV will do.

If Australia were to build some, I would suggest 4, 2 on each coasts.

Rocco_NZ

Sea Toby said:
Not this time. The Thetis was designed with the rough and tough North Atlantic in mind, not the Adriatic or Mediterrean. Sorry to disappoint!
I was under the impression it was designed with a rounded bow for icebreaking?

Sea Toby

The Thetis class of ocean patrol vessels have a double-skinned hull divided by ten bulkheads into watertight compartments. The basic hull shape corresponds to that of a high-speed trawler. There are no bilge keels, but stabilisation is achieved by a combination of fin stabilisers from Blohm and Voss and a controlled passive tank system supplied by Intering.

They are ice-strengthened and are able to proceed through 80cm of solid ice. The hull has an icebreaking bow and stem lines suitable for operations in ice with only one propeller. To minimise ice formation on the superstructure, all winches, capstans, etc. are placed under deck

It appears to me they have better seakeeping than most ships. How many ships do you know of have controlled passive tank systems?

Lucasnz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
One issue I have with OPV's is there apparent lack of speed. Helicopter operations offset this, but I wonder how important speed is for an OPV given that many merchant ships have speeds in excess of 25kts. Is the standard 20-22kts suitable for counter terrorism operations at sea.

Rocco_NZ

Speed

Speed was one of the many arguments explored (ad nausism). The NZ OPVs can hit 26 kts (in theory at least). It would be interesting to see the average speed of the various merchant ships steaming around the Pacific though.

Whiskyjack

Honorary Moderator / Defense Professional / Analys
Verified Defense Pro
Rocco_NZ said:
Speed was one of the many arguments explored (ad nausism). The NZ OPVs can hit 26 kts (in theory at least). It would be interesting to see the average speed of the various merchant ships steaming around the Pacific though.
Only really high end merchant ships go for the high speeds, the average merchant ship and trawler would be below 20 knots I would think. Fuel and engines cost money, only put in what you need! I think a trawler with a 30+ knot speed would attract a lot of attention!!

High Altitude UAVs, the likes of Global Hawk, Mariner etc, to patrol and vector in the OPV, use of tactical UAVs from the OPV to observe 'wrong doing', board, search and seize from the OPV.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Whiskyjack said:
Only really high end merchant ships go for the high speeds, the average merchant ship and trawler would be below 20 knots I would think. Fuel and engines cost money, only put in what you need! I think a trawler with a 30+ knot speed would attract a lot of attention!!

High Altitude UAVs, the likes of Global Hawk, Mariner etc, to patrol and vector in the OPV, use of tactical UAVs from the OPV to observe 'wrong doing', board, search and seize from the OPV.
Generally speaking merchant vessel are capable of sub 20 knot speeds with 18 knosts being the high end for general cargo, dry bulk and tankers. most wil do 15 knots or less. Some examples of recent vessel show this trend:

http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/pioneer/
http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/scot/
http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/alexander/
http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/star-osakana/

Reefer ships tend to operate at higher speed but it is the liner container trade where you will more commonly see ships capable of 20 knots or more

http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/safmarine/

Passenger vessels and RO-RO ferries tend to be at the higher end as well. fishing vessel do not generally do anyware near 20 knots and many wouel be hard pressed to make 15. the Odd man out would be the Purse Seiner vessels, given the nature of their operations these vessel have been know to be cpable of exceeding 20 knots in some cases.

Lucasnz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Thanks for the information - certianity clarifies my thinking abit in relation to OPV's.

Sea Toby

Considering the New Zealand OPVs cost in the vicinity of A$ 70-80 million, we'll use $80 million each, four would run up to $320 million. Notice the Anzacs cost around A$ 500 million each, and the new AWDs will run over A$ 1 billion each. The cost analysis should leave one with the impression of an OPVs combat capacity.

Wooki

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
alexsa said:
No argument with the range or coverage issues, the area is partrolled by air but you are missing one very important point: the aircraft cannot conduct seizure operations as that must be done by a surface craft, or helcopter from a surface craft, in the waters we are discussing. This is one of the reason I consider helo capability to be vital for both search and seizure functions

The Australian EEZ and continential shelf is not confined to the Australian coast line (which by the way is not briming with helecopter bases or ports) but covers Maquarie Island off Antartica, the coral sea territories, Cocos Keeling and Christmas Island, Lord howe Island and Norfolk island as well as other reef and island grousp of NW Australia not to mention our interests in waters off Antartica itself. Have a look at the attached link.

http://www.ga.gov.au/image_cache/GA3746.pdf

The ranges are such that where an aircraft finds a vessel out here it will be demand intesive operations over a number of days to track it while waiting for a vessel to arrive. To give and example of the distance involved the distance from Perth to Melbourne is about 1400nm, just getting between the two ports would take 3.5 days for your Italian vessel at ecnomical cruising. Do it at 27 knots the tank will be jsut about empty. Range is everything, the abiltiyt to respond to inteelegdnc and provide persistant patrols over a period in distant waters without support is also pretty important in the australina context.

No arguement that effective ROE and political support are vital but there is a signfianct differnce in imposing international sanctions in a choak point compared to patrolling an EEZ where vessel have a presumed right of innocent passage. The reason the vessel chartered by Customs, the MV Oceanic Viking, is now armed is to provide an imputus to stop. However, you have to prove they were in breach of the law.

The italian vessel, even if gunned up, is a short range vessel that would require protection from others in a task group in a fully fledged conflict and would have limited offencive cpability compared to that that could be fitted to the ANZAC if the additional cost of aquistion over an above a pure OPV was spent on them. Why bother!

I also think my arguement is validated by the fact that services such as the RN and USCG are spending money of new long range helo capable OPV's whihc are not the first word in combat vessels. They can provide persistant coverage of distant waters effectively.
I've said this before with regard to "Australian OPVs", but I'll say it again. What you need is an air capable platform and the OPV you describe has too large a GM to operate VTOLs in a high sea state that is normally encountered between Australia and Antarctica.

Air operations is the most important aspect of this v/l, (apart from actually being a v/l and having persistance) so you are either going to have to reinvent the VTOL and use ducted props (www.unmannedaircraft.com there's a thing called the HOVTOL there that looks promising) or go with a more stable platform like a trimaran.

The other part of the soln is (if you are going to stick with the rig tender model) fitting it out with Voith Schneider drives so the stern can track the helo as it trys to land and takeoff. That should allow you to operate in a higher sea state then you would normally be able to.

Now if you apply all those 3 suggestions (trimaran, ducted rotor'd VTOL UAV and VS drives) you would have a fantastic OPV. Oh and it would have the legs to actually catch an illegal fisherman in days rather than weeks.

...And no, I imagine it wouldn't look like an LCS but have the reserve buoyancy and endurance to take on the Southern Ocean for long periods of time. Something that the AWD (for example) won't be able to do without structural fatigue to cutsey things called ballast tanks and wot not.

cheers

w

A

Aussie Digger

Big-E said:
Why doesn't the RAN just join the LCS program?
Many reasons. 1. We don't have the money available. 2. We don't have the personnel available. 3. We don't have any need for an LCS.

What we could do with, and has been explained at length throughout this thread, is a fleet of ships, that are capable of operating in high sea states, have outstanding range and speed, excellent seakeeping and helicopter operating capability, and the ability to perform warfighting functions, at a higher level than that of the Armidale class patrol boats, but lower than that of a frigate (in order to keep costs down).

The LCS doesn't meet these requirements, being designed for an entirely different mission.

Big-E

Banned Member
Aussie Digger said:
Many reasons. 1. We don't have the money available. 2. We don't have the personnel available. 3. We don't have any need for an LCS.

What we could do with, and has been explained at length throughout this thread, is a fleet of ships, that are capable of operating in high sea states, have outstanding range and speed, excellent seakeeping and helicopter operating capability, and the ability to perform warfighting functions, at a higher level than that of the Armidale class patrol boats, but lower than that of a frigate (in order to keep costs down).

The LCS doesn't meet these requirements, being designed for an entirely different mission.
Well I can buy the money argument. . . but LCS has great speed, sea keeping, helicopter capability, it can land them in sea state 5. She can fill many roles, Minesweeper, ASW ship and speacial forces support. They can retire the frigates and patrol ships with one vessel therefore cutting overall costs. If any country needs a ship for littoral operations it's Australia.

A

Aussie Digger

Big-E said:
Well I can buy the money argument. . . but LCS has great speed, sea keeping, helicopter capability, it can land them in sea state 5. She can fill many roles, Minesweeper, ASW ship and speacial forces support. They can retire the frigates and patrol ships with one vessel therefore cutting overall costs. If any country needs a ship for littoral operations it's Australia.
We do need littoral combat capability. We also need high level anti-air, anti-surface and anti-submarine capability. LCS is going to be severley deficient in the S2A and S2S roles and would not be a good replacement for our ANZAC and FFG frigates.

Big-E

Banned Member
Aussie Digger said:
We do need littoral combat capability. We also need high level anti-air, anti-surface and anti-submarine capability. LCS is going to be severley deficient in the S2A and S2S roles and would not be a good replacement for our ANZAC and FFG frigates.
If you are going to be fighting Indonesian terrorists then you need it. You don't need frigates when you have SEA 4000 AEGIS Destroyers. The FFGs you have now are just as obsolete as ours, hence the decom. LCS can replace roles of mineweepers, frigates and patrol craft. If you retire those vessels you can afford LCS.:D

A

Aussie Digger

Big-E said:
If you are going to be fighting Indonesian terrorists then you need it. You don't need frigates when you have SEA 4000 AEGIS Destroyers. The FFGs you have now are just as obsolete as ours, hence the decom. LCS can replace roles of mineweepers, frigates and patrol craft. If you retire those vessels you can afford LCS.:D
Our FFG's aren't as obsolete as America's. For one thing our 4 remaining FFG's are newer, having been built in Australia later than the USN ones, and of better materials. The 1st vessel (HMAS Sydney) has just undergone a MAJOR upgrade, equipping it with ESSM and Harpoon Block II. It has a new combat system, upgraded radars and a new IRST system and vastly improved "habitability" for the crew and is undergoing final trials. The 2nd vessel (HMAS Newcastle) is undergoing the same upgrades as we speak.

It retains it's 76mm gun, but has an improved fire control system for this gun, it retains it's Phalanx CIWS, but also has new "mini-typhoon" guns to improve it's assymetric (or terrorist fighting if you like) capability. Long range SM-2 Block IIIA missiles are to replace it's existing SM-1 missiles in the next 2 years. It's torpedo system is to be upgraded with the new MU-90 torpedo over the next couple of years and it's Seahawk helo is about to undergo a major midlife extension and upgrade.

As you can see, it is in every way a major enhancement over the USN FFG's. It is the most capable surface vessel we have at present (we also have ANZAC class vessels remember) and I'm sure you'd agree it's combat capability is significantly higher than the LCS will ever be.

Sea Toby

I agree. Australia is a maritime nation and needs all its warships to keep its sea lanes open. And I agree a few of the New Zealand Tenix built OPVs, although with an upgraded gun such as the soon to be discarded 76-mm ones from the FFGs would be ideal to patrol the southern approaches to Australia. Doing so would free up any frigates from such duty, and more than likely 4 OPVs could be purchased for the price of one frigate.Two of the FFGs have or will soon be decommissioned, there are four more which will be discarded when the AWDs become available.