Votes: 61 98.4%
  • NO

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlb

maybe but then probably not.

I'm certain that a lot of variables are way off mark, simply because the actual values are classified - or simply unknown.

How noisy are subs, and how sensitive are sonars?
What's the kill probability of a Sea Sparrow against a Sunburn?
What kind of damage will a Harpoon inflict on a Slava?
How good are the Japanese on damage control?

I don't have much of an idea on all of those.

There's a lot of comparable data that's publicly available about WWII, both because ship plans have been declassified, and we know reasonnably well how many of which weapons it took to sink such and such class of ships, or what didn't sink others and what kind of damage was inflicted.

There's very, very little reliable data available in the public domain for today's systems.

And surprises happen: think of Jutland, for instance. Who'd have imagined that British battlecruisers would blow up with single hits, or that so many RN shells would shatter against German armor?

So while I do enjoy playing harpoon, I'm more than a bit wary about taking game results as valid in real-life terms.

ziggi

I prefer the Total War series myself, as well as the Europa Universalis series. Plenty of strategy, double dealing and diplomacy in the latter. And the historical accuracy and play of the battles (while not perfect) in the former are top notch and better than any I've seen so far.
You also can't go wrong with Risk, the board game only, I like to be able to see the look on my ally's face when I walk in thru the back door with a huge army :)

crazypole

Personally I feel Empire Earth, and similar games, try to cover too long a time period, with the result that not enough effort is put into any single time period. I am a big fan of the Total War series, and am especially impressed with the game engine used in the latest "Rome:Total War" game. I am also a fan of Cossacks, and Cossacks 2. These can be very tactical, especially in Cossacks 2, with the introduction of a button to hold fire until the enemy is very close so as to have a maximum effect. Finally, though I always seem to get frustrated with this game, I think Sudden Strike/2 is also worthy of mention.

Analyst

Here are my choices:

Computer games:
-Total war serie
-Heart of Iron 1 and 2
-Gettysburg and Antietam
-Close combat, except 4
-Silent Hunter 2 and 3 (awsome for WW2 submarie buffs)
-Sub Command (but i also have doubts about modern weapons
capabilities)
-Combat Mission serie
-East Front and West Front
-Harpoon 3
-Just started Full Spectrum Warrior 2...nice enough...

Board games:
-Chess
-Axis and Allies extensions, like World at War or Operations Barbarossa
(anything but the original!)
-Bells of War
-Staligrad
-Squad Leader Serie, especially eastern front
-Berlin 1983
-Aliens, the borad game by leading edge game!

There are so many other strategy games that I love!

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Analyst said:
Here are my choices:

Computer games:
-Total war serie
-Heart of Iron 1 and 2
-Gettysburg and Antietam
-Close combat, except 4
-Silent Hunter 2 and 3 (awsome for WW2 submarie buffs)
-Sub Command (but i also have doubts about modern weapons
capabilities)
-Combat Mission serie
-East Front and West Front
-Harpoon 3
-Just started Full Spectrum Warrior 2...nice enough...

Board games:
-Chess
-Axis and Allies extensions, like World at War or Operations Barbarossa
(anything but the original!)
-Bells of War
-Staligrad
-Squad Leader Serie, especially eastern front
-Berlin 1983
-Aliens, the borad game by leading edge game!

There are so many other strategy games that I love!
:(
Oh no, thats a heart breaker right there. No, Age of Empires series? No Empire Earth? No Medal of Honor? Those are some classic and wonderful military strategy games.

Analyst

Sorry, can't say I agree!

I think RTS are only good for multiplayer purposes. Even then, only for a limited time. I find them quite boring! From my humble perpective, you just end-up amassing huge number of air / ground troops, launch an assault, miss, then start the build-up again. Furthermore, i have a problem with the concept of troops poping out of abstract buildings...

so sorry, but I still prefer and nice hunt from Silent Hunter 3...

As fro Medal of Honor, well...it's cool, but there is not a lot of tactics. Also, to linear!

hantu

I'm ww2 fans.

I play simulator games more.

Simulation games of my choice:
1. IL2 + Pacific Fighter. (WW2 fighter planes American, Japan, Russian and German planes include some bombers.)
2. Silent Hunter 3.
3. Enemy engage. (heli sim)

FPS:
Operation Flashpoint GOTY edition with FFUR mods. The FFUR mod change all default weapon to present modern weapons.

Big-E

Banned Member
My favorite so far has been Rome Total War. I have wasted so many hours on that game it is not even funny. Silent Hunter III was pretty good but that gets old quick. You can play for a month and not even see a capital warship. Some of my older favorites include Janes Fleet Command and Harpoon.

Oh yeah, don't forget Sid Miers games!:D

Last edited:

ODYSSEUS

Red alert 2 is ok, i like also age of empires,and Cosacks
but i find that playstation 2 has a more interesting software concerning war games such as Operation Black, Medal of honor front line, Medal of honor the rising sun, Desert storm, Desert Storm back to Bagdad etc.

eu2dude

ODYSSEUS said:
Red alert 2 is ok, i like also age of empires,and Cosacks
but i find that playstation 2 has a more interesting software concerning war games such as Operation Black, Medal of honor front line, Medal of honor the rising sun, Desert storm, Desert Storm back to Bagdad etc.
Board Games:
1. World in Flames
2. Empires in Arms
3. Fortress America

Computer Games
1. Hearts of Iron II
2. Europa Universalis II
3. Vistoria
4. Civilization

Eu2dude

Echo419

All WW2 strategy fans musttry the PC game "Blitzkrieg" It revolves around strategy and tactics. :smoker

suryaaa

age of empire series games is the best strategy games ever nothing beats it.

it good to know that others love strategy games.because(college mates) hates such games.
in my next post i will send new and advanced strategic game info.

suntzu

SABRE said:
Nothing beats commandos & Civ series.
Sabre i agree with you.
The civ games are incredible , they are pure evil black magicfrom sid mier. nothing can compare them in depth of strategies.

TrangleC

What always bothered me in RTS games was that the weapons were not realistic. You could kill a tank by just having a few infantry men with rifles shoot at it.
That became a little bit better with C&C Generals, where certain weapons are more effective against certain targets and others less, but it still was the same in the end.

I heard there is a new RTS game where they took care of that and where the weapons are more realistic. You can shoot with a hundred rifles at a tank for all eternity without destroying it, while a single hit with a anti tank weapon can kill it instantly.
I don't know the name of that game, but i think i will try to find it and play it some day, when i got the time.

What i liked was Shogun, Total War. I think that was the first episode of the Total War series. I didn't try the newer ones yet, but Shogun was not bad.
Quite realistic and with a lot of atmosphere.
The only thing that could get annoying was when you had destroyed almost the whole army of the enemy but a hand full of units and you didn't have any surviving cavalry. Then it could happen that you had to chase a few remaining enemies over the whole battlefield for a hour or so before a already won battle finally was over.

Gerasimos

I agree with Shogun,moreover the whole Total war series is a real diamond,Rome for example was breathtaking,I read about the new one called Mediaval,and I am thrilled!!!

Locutius

Some of my Favourites

I only play PC games - console simply does not have the depth and I do not generally care about bleeding edge graphics.

Harpoon series first experience with computer gaming (Win 3.1) and still my favourite in so many ways
Total Annihilation (Sci Fi)
Masters of Orion 2 god I love turn based games
The Civilization Series
Total War Series (Rome was my fav) and I am far more interested in the strategic part of the game than the tactical part of the game - but the tactical part is still fun to play.
The Hearts of Iron series - just fantastic - WW2 on an intense and time depleting scale.

While I dabbled with C&C, Dark Reign and Star Craft I found these to be more RTT = Real Time Tactical games than RTS = Real Time Strategy games and just got far too busy and click fests. At least with Total Annihilation there was often good opening times for developing defensive positions.

regards
Loc

fortion

i agree with you regarding the battleship,though i never heard of stratego9is it a board game or a computer one)
i have aleard about of tom clancy's ssn(us nuclear submarine taking out chinese navy in the south china sea,seems to be pretty realistic)though i cant get hold of it.
i believe the game you are referring to is silent hunter . it has 5 installments i believe so far and is pretty cool

prasadsalvi

Re

This includes ###########, board games, and anything you consider that should be in this catagory.
Have you by any chance heard about Command and control by wargamming ??

Please don't spam the site with nonsense from elsewhere.. Thread closed - and please read the Forum Rules before posting anywhere else

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.