old and similar threads

funtz

well as gf0012-aust "the moderator instructed" me in quite strong words not to reply to posts that are too old and not to talk about topics that people have talked about.

If older threads already exist about some topics (Supersonic missile for exapmple), why are new threads allowed? And would it not be better to have a link on such a thread so that people interested on the topic can actually go through the older thread and find what they are looking for.

And if a thread is too old, with no new replies. why is it not closed before hand? its not like i had to digging into the archives is it, it was in the front page of missile/bombs/wmd

Last edited:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
well, I accept your reason for responding to that post.

as you can appreciate, too often we get a cohort of new posters who trawl through old posts and respond willy nilly to them. basically its because they are looking at an easy way to bump their post count so that they can start PMing as soon as possible.

where the posts are then directed at posters who are clearly no longer members - then there is a question as to how much attention that poster has paid in their time on site. if the posts are generic, then naturally that curiosity factor is less of an issue.

Perhaps the way forward is to acknowledge the date of the last post and explain why its being "Lazarus'd".

gf

well as gf0012-aust "the moderator instructed" me in quite strong words not to reply to posts that are too old and not to talk about topics that people have talked about.

If older threads already exist about some topics (Supersonic missile for exapmple), why are new threads allowed? And would it not be better to have a link on such a thread so that people interested on the topic can actually go through the older thread and find what they are looking for.

And if a thread is too old, with no new replies. why is it not closed before hand? its not like i had to digging into the archives is it, it was in the front page of missile/bombs/wmd

funtz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
well, I accept your reason for responding to that post.

as you can appreciate, too often we get a cohort of new posters who trawl through old posts and respond willy nilly to them. basically its because they are looking at an easy way to bump their post count so that they can start PMing as soon as possible.
gf
A solution might lay in a modification to the forum criteria/function, self closing threads, that is to say, for threads inactive for 1-2 years or so a criteria/function that may be closes the thread, renders it inactive, till a moderator is notified and the thread activated.

I was not watching the posts date, that was my mistake.