Nordic Battlegroup 2008

rattmuff

Lurk-loader?
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Another posibility is sending whole battle groups by sea. Then you get everything at the same time. Of course this only works if the BGs don't have a too long way to the city or area where they are needed.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Hey! I think I found treasure... ;)

Jan Joel Andersson
Armed and Ready?
The EU Battlegroup Concept and
the Nordic Battlegroup
– SIEPS 2006:2 –

TABLE OF CONTENTS
SUMMARY............................................................................................... 6
PROLOGUE: OUT OF EUROPE – INTO AFRICA........................ 8
1 INTRODUCTION..............................................................................10
1.1 Development of the European Security and Defence Policy ..............11
1.2 Helsinki Headline Goal........................................................................13
1.3 European Security Strategy..................................................................15
1.4 Headline Goal 2010 ............................................................................ 16
2 THE BATTLEGROUP CONCEPT ...............................................20
2.1 The Battlegroup....................................................................................22
2.2 Capabilities ...........................................................................................23
2.3 Decision-Making and Command and Control.....................................26
2.4 Deployment .........................................................................................29
2.5 Missions and Scenarios........................................................................33
3 NORDIC BATTLEGROUP.............................................................37
3.1 Structure and Composition of the Nordic Battlegroup .......................37
3.2 Decision-Making and Command and Control.....................................38
3.3 Establishment and Training of the Nordic Battlegroup.......................40
3.4 Deployment of the Nordic Battlegroup ...............................................41
4 CONCLUSIONS...............................................................................43
4.1 Civilian Great Power EUrope...............................................................43
4.2 Military Great Power EUrope ..............................................................45
4.3 All Bark and No Bite? .........................................................................46
SAMMANFATTNING PÅ SVENSKA..............................................49
REFERENCES .........................................................................................51

http://www.sieps.se/_pdf/Publikationer/2006/20062.pdf
2 and 3 looks very relevant.

He's discussing Swedish Herc's, RAF C-17's and SALIS as options for airlift.

rattmuff

Lurk-loader?
:) Were do you find this stuff? :D

I red this and NBGs strategic airlift problem is apperantly not solved yet. That's not good.

Gollevainen

the corporal
Verified Defense Pro
Just throwing bit of a nationalism in the fire, The heart of the AMOS system, the actual douplebarrel automatic mortar is made by our Patria...

Anyway, does anyone have info about what sort of unit is composed from the 200 finnish mens? My brief surfing didn't get me any results...

rattmuff

Lurk-loader?
Gollevainen said:
Anyway, does anyone have info about what sort of unit is composed from the 200 finnish mens? My brief surfing didn't get me any results...
Finland announced in November that it would participate in two Battlegroups. One is formed together with Germany and the Netherlands, the other with Sweden, Norway and Estonia. In all, Finland has provided about 350 soldiers for the Battlegroups, among others headquarters personnel, a guard and convoy security unit, electronic intelligence unit, fire support unit and a reconnaissance unit. http://www.mil.fi/perustietoa/julkaisut/toimintakertomus_04_en/kansainvalinen/suomi_turvasi.html
That's what I found...

renjer

Sorry for the late reply. I have to blame the time difference.

rattmuff said:
((forward base? feel really dumb not knowing that phrase))
Well, assuming you did not do the airlift in one leg a forward base would be where you prepare the assault force before actually going into the combat zone. I assumed that it would be at one of the French bases in Africa but wanted to get your thoughts on it.

Whiskyjack said:
Given it is an EU asset would the EU not provide the transport, i.e the RAF may be transporting the NGB.
Yes, that seems like a fair assumption and Grand Danois has probably shed more light on this. The RAF also has lots of experience with these kinds of operation and that should come in handy for the NBG.

rattmuff

Lurk-loader?
I got the SAF-magazine today and it provided with some news about NBG.
It's not official but NBG are going to rent some C-17 and/or An-124 to fly troops, support and supplies from Sweden to a safe, big area/international airport(APOD, AirPort Of Debarcation). Then four C-130 shuttle service everything from APOD to a tactical area/airport inside the AOO(Area Of Operation).

They also changed the number of people involded from >1500 to 1500-2000(not official).

Last edited:

Grand Danois

Entertainer
rattmuff said:
I got the SAF-magazine today and it provided with some news about NBG.
It's not official but NBG are going to rent some C-17 and/or An-124 to fly troops, support and supplies from Sweden to a safe, big area/international airport(APOD, AirPort Of Debarcation). Then four C-130 shuttle service everything from APOD to a tactical area/airport inside the AOO(Area Of Operation).

They also changed the number of people involded from >1500 to 1500-2000(not official).
Being a heroic Google warrior I have dug up the following:

Armed Forces Budget Proposals 2007: Reduced Administration - Increased Operational Effectiveness

Publicerad: April 26, 2006 13:13

[...]

Units in the Navy and the Air Force should be given a greater role in international operations.

[...]

The Armed Forces plans also propose a new operational capability through the procurement of aircraft for strategic air movement. This is an important requirement to meet the increased demand not only for volume and distance, but also for the possible evacuation of personnel or humanitarian aid efforts.

http://www.mil.se/index.php?lang=E&c=news&id=32295
This begs two questions:

• I know of the Swedish Air Force' rapid reaction Sqn aka SWAFRAP, but what units and capabilities are the Swedish Navy intending to use. Visby's or MCMV's?
  • The operative word in the quote is procurement and not leasing or lending through SALIS or the RAF and others. Some difference? (I guess the emphasis on the evacuation of personnel stems from the horrible experience Sweden had with the 2004 tsunami (and lack of gov't effort)...) Is there any substance in the quote with regards to procurement?

SWAFRAP links:

New Swedish rapid-reaction fighter unit puts JAS 39 Gripen to international test

Sweden to debut latest Gripen at 'Red Flag Alaska'

rattmuff

Lurk-loader?
Today the SWENARAP(Swedish Naval Rapid Reaction Force) consists of 7 ships and 450 men. The unit has of 1 gotland class subamarine, 2 corvettes (no Visby), 3 MCM ships, 1 amphibious unit, transport ships if needed. This unit is operational 2001-2006. NBG is operational first half of 2008 so many things can change.

SAF say they need C-17 or AN-124 for strategic airlift but I think they wont buy any of those aircraft because it gets to expensive.

Took time reading those budget documents.... (laugh when I red that there are 1 appendix basicly marked "if you read this you are a dead man")

Last edited:

Grand Danois

Entertainer
That's a quite impressive naval commitment! Is that what is available for operations at all times, or the units working up and rotating.

Would be cool if the Visby's got thrown into the mix.

Could you provide the link for that document? I didn't find it immediately (takes too long ;)).

rattmuff

Lurk-loader?
The units in SWENARAP has never been used at the same operation, but it is available all the time. The MCMs have been used many times, the last operation was last month when they cleared a minefield.

They never put the secret stuff on their site.... but you can read which documents that are secret. The headline on the super-secret document says it is about the status of the abilty to respond to a invasion against Sweden or a country in the neighbourhood, like Denmark. :D

contedicavour

Grand Danois said:
That's a quite impressive naval commitment! Is that what is available for operations at all times, or the units working up and rotating.

Would be cool if the Visby's got thrown into the mix.

Could you provide the link for that document? I didn't find it immediately (takes too long ;)).
Just a quick question : are the first operational Visbys carrying RBS SSMs or are they only fitted for but not with ?

thks