No-fly zone over Libya

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Granted the political climate has changed and there is a different government in power, but I'm very surprised at the speed and willingness of the French to get involved in Libya, especially after taking into account how France conducted it's policies with regards to Bosnia and Rwanda in the 90's. Won't be surprised at all if the Lerclerc and Rafale are operated in the future by a post-Gadaffi Libyan armed forces. That would make the people at Dassault and Nexter very, very happy.
Sarkozy has no other option. He's already bet all future French interest in Libya with the Rebels, by recognizing the rebels as Libyan government when everybody else still wait and see.

For French with Sarkozy..well it's the rebel or nothing.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
If they keep quiet, don't send up any fighters or missiles, don't lock on with radars, then you leave them be.
I would not at all be surprised if this is how Gaddafi plays it, giving the UN and NATO as little room as possible to get involved.

T.C.P

With France, the UK and hte Arab League wanting military interventions in Libya and now with the UN backing, Gaddafi's days are numbered unless he stops using heavy artillerry against the rebels. I heard he is going to declare a ceasefire.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
With France, the UK and hte Arab League wanting military interventions in Libya and now with the UN backing, Gaddafi's days are numbered unless he stops using heavy artillerry against the rebels. I heard he is going to declare a ceasefire.
I heard the same, but I'm not sure how the days are numbered.

Systems Adict

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
From what I understand (limited knowledge) GB and France were the main force behind this decision....

I don't know if the US will be interested in deploying a large force...
I've read thru only the last 2 or 3 pages, looking for something that is some what appropriate.

To aid discussions, I've found a map, prepared by a blogger who regulary reads & comments on various threads on this site.

Hopefully this will help give the 'right-impression' for those trying to understand distances & areas....

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-.../s1600/Libyan+No+Fly+Zone+Potential+Bases.bmp

BIG hat-tip to Grand Logistics & his blog, where I've 'borrowed' this from....

SA

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
Am I correct in believing this the first Europe led intervention since early 1990's Bosinia? It's very interesting watching all this pan out.

Not to mention the Canadians are sending Fighters which is something of a surprise for me, interesting on the Australian end Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd has been strongly pushing for action yet Australia won't commit any fighters of its own.
Also the SSGN Florida was in sighted near Italy a couple of days ago, a handy little force multiplier to have nearby.

Edit: I just remembered Sierra Leone. So not the first since early Bosnia, but the most multinational?

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Edit: I just remembered Sierra Leone. So not the first since early Bosnia, but the most multinational?
Ivory Coast 2003 (and possibly again soon). Central African Republic 2006.

As for most multinational, we won't see that many EU members involving themselves here really. At least actively. So far only three in fact, UK/FR/DK.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Ivory Coast 2003 (and possibly again soon). Central African Republic 2006.

As for most multinational, we won't see that many EU members involving themselves here really. At least actively. So far only three in fact, UK/FR/DK.
I'd add Belgium (6 F-16 currently stationed in Greece), Spain (6 F-18) , Norway & Netherlands will eventually show up with something. And Canada (6 F-18, but not EU).

But a far, far cry from the 300-400 aircraft needed for this.:rolleyes:

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Norway isn't EU either ;)

(and 6 aircraft - seriously, the whole of them together can put at most 3 aircraft over Libya on CAP)

surpreme

(and 6 aircraft - seriously, the whole of them together can put at most 3 aircraft over Libya on CAP)
If you think about it they don't need that many to carry out this no fly zone. Correct me if I'm wrong Libya don't have that many air defense and aircrafts. What did the Libyan buy in the last 5 years? I haven't read or heard of anything except a deal with Russia last year I don't remember what happen that's gone down the drain now

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Libya did acquire some Fencers not too long ago. They were planning on being the first export customer for the Su-35S, but the deal wasn't signed, and now probably won't for a while. They did sign a deal for either 6 or 12 Yak-130 combat-trainers (the exact number is unclear) but no deliveries were made. So their best fighters should be MiG-23 and MiG-21.

Meanwhile it seems Benghazi is about to fall. Gaddafi's troops have entered the city. Also his air force is still flying sorties despite the UN resolution. At this rate by the time the no-fly zone is enforced, there will be no rebels left, which leaves me wondering... what's the point?

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Âîéñêà Êàääàôè âîøëè â Áåíãàçè

STURM

What did the Libyan buy in the last 5 years? I haven't read or heard of anything except a deal with Russia last year I don't remember what happen that's gone down the drain now
For whatever reason, the fact that Gadaffi didn't buy any new medium range AD systems after 2003, when he was welcomed as a 'friend' and 'partner' after giving up his WMD programme, turned out to be a blessing in disguise for the air arms that will fly over Libya soon.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
If you think about it they don't need that many to carry out this no fly zone. Correct me if I'm wrong Libya don't have that many air defense and aircrafts. What did the Libyan buy in the last 5 years? I haven't read or heard of anything except a deal with Russia last year I don't remember what happen that's gone down the drain now
It's not really the 40-80 operational Libyan fighters (on its own) that's the issue. It's the SAM network.

IMINT & Analysis: The Libyan SAM Network

Though equipment is dated, training not in the top and probably a bit disrupted due to the revolt, if Gaddafi decides to stand on his hind legs it's enough that you'll require a conventional roll-back to be able to fly CAP. You don't do that with 4-5 scores of aircraft with these distances to the mission area.

Grand Danois

Entertainer

Just as their fighters will show up, eventually it will be part of EU; civilization will come to them at some point. ;)

Systems Adict

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
..Not to mention the Canadians are sending Fighters which is something of a surprise for me...
Yup, the Canadian continginet, including F-18's, a Hercules & possibly even a P3-Orion all arrived in Scotland at Prestwick International Airport, sometime during the hours of darkness last night (18th - 19th March 2011).

I can't confirm quantities, or even if it was P3 (my A/C identification skills are lacking...), but know they arrived, as it was on the BBC News on TV at 7.00am this morning.
(see link to news clip below)

BBC News - Fighter jets poised for action in Libya

SA

kramxel

Anyone catch what plane was downed this morning, that belonged to Ghedaffi's forces?

It looked like a Russian made...

EDIT: It was a rebel plane.

Last edited: