Nagorniy Karabakh

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Illegal? Has the MTCR been made binding? It's always been voluntary.
Sorry, maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't Russia have to formally withdraw from the treaty first? Also, even if it's legal at the state level, it's certainly not legal for an individual enterprise. I suppose it's possible that Russia would decide to disregard the MTCR rules for Armenia's sake and provide these systems directly, state to state, but why would they? What targets does Armenia need to strike that are more then 280kms away?

EDIT: I see where my mistake stems from. In most Russian publications the MTCR is treated as binding. It appears that it is binding for Russian private entities, seeking to export arms.

Mig-29M2

Sorry, maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't Russia have to formally withdraw from the treaty first? Also, even if it's legal at the state level, it's certainly not legal for an individual enterprise. I suppose it's possible that Russia would decide to disregard the MTCR rules for Armenia's sake and provide these systems directly, state to state, but why would they? What targets does Armenia need to strike that are more then 280kms away?

EDIT: I see where my mistake stems from. In most Russian publications the MTCR is treated as binding. It appears that it is binding for Russian private entities, seeking to export arms.
Most targets are within 300Kms, but I still believe it's M. Armenia gets the majority of it's arms directly from Russian Min. of Defense, and not as an export customer.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most targets are within 300Kms, but I still believe it's M. Armenia gets the majority of it's arms directly from Russian Min. of Defense, and not as an export customer.
Based on what exactly though?

Tsavo Lion

Banned Member
Update

Things get hot again in Karabakh: Azerbaijan strikes Armenian army positions - VIDEO
http://www.ng.ru/news/586931.html?print=Y
https://news.am/eng/news/399237.html https://ria.ru/world/20170707/1498046212.html
Война в Карабахе: Ðзербайджан ударил по Ðрмении или по Ð*оÑÑии - Политика - МК
I've visited Armenia, Azerbaijan & Georgia back in 1986. IMO, the Azeris will never outsmart Armenians on the battlefield, no matter how well equipped. They can be roughly compared with Israel & its Arab neighbors. Plus Armenia is supported by Russia & can be outflanked on the Caspian Sea, where Iran recently conducted a naval exercise.
..due to the military standoff with Armenia over the region of Nagorno Karabagh, the Azerbaijan Republic has entered into an axis of Azerbaijan-Turkey-Israel. Iran on the other hand is afraid of the Western presence and considers this as a part of preparations for possible military intervention in all or parts of Iran by US.. In order to counter the Azeri moves, Iran is supporting Armenia. “Azerbaijan believes the clear economic and political support of Iran from the Republic of Armenia is a kind of declaration of war against Baku

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update.

Another flare up has occurred, allegedly starting with an attempt by a Azeri military personnel to drive an UAZ jeep into Armenia. The vehicle was fired on wounding and killing it's passengers and driver. This was followed by either an attempt to seize an Armenian observation post, with artillery being used or an Armenian attack on an Azeri border position. The sides differ about who did what. Each side is claiming that the other side tried to seize a strategically significant position from the other. It's also important to note that this did not take place in or near Nagorny Karabakh (is so much as it's possible for anything not to be "near" N.K. in an area so small). Artillery exchanges are continuing from both sides, and both sides are accusing the other side of targeting civilian infrastructure.

Losses so far are unclear, but Azerbaijan did lose a UAV, possible a loitering munition. Azerbaijan has admitted losing 6 KIA including a major-general, Armenia claims to only have 4.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update.

Footage of strikes by Azeri loitering munitions. In the previous flare-up, these provided Azerbaijan with a crucial advantage, easily knocking out Armenian T-72s.

On the other hand Armenia claims to have downed 10 Azeri UAVs, and has some footage.

And a Turkish UAV was spotted in Azeri airspace, near the Armenian border.

EDIT: So, it doesn't look like either side is making any on-the-ground moves in this, which means that this could very well wind down, with a few more casualties from exchanges of fire. I'm still a little fuzzy as to how what looks like an accidental border violation turned into a near-war state. It seems to me that the Armenians were a little trigger happy in shooting up that UAZ, on the other hand, it hardly merited further escalation on either side.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update.

Exchanges of fire, and UAV operations continue, but the flare up seems to be winding down.

Armenia claims to have destroyed 3 Azeri tanks, with "special" UAVs, possibly loitering munitions of their own. Up until now we've had no information on any UAV strike capabilities in Armenia, and barely any in Russia, though some prototypes (possibly even just mockups) of loitering munitions were shown at a Russian arms show. It's possible that this was an opportunity to test them.

Armenia also claims to have down multiple Azeri UAVs (13, with 10 of them allegedly loitering munitions).

An Azeri loitering munition struck an Armenian UAZ van, some sources claiming it belonged to the Armenian Ministry of Emergency Situations.

Some footage of Azeri UAV strikes.

Demonstrations broke out in Baku, against Armenian actions. In their ardor, the protesters entered the parliament building, temporarily.

Armenia threatened to strike an Azeri hydro-electric plant, Azerbaijan in response threatened to strike the Armenian nuclear power plant.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Feanor, can you explain more on the use and employment of loitering munitions in this conflict?

Is loitering munitions use effective in this Nagorniy Karabakh conflict or over rated (when compared to a hellfire or spike launched from a long endurance UAV)? Esp. the hit on an Armenian UAZ van, that is claimed to belong to the Armenian Ministry of Emergency Situations.

I just don’t really understand its tactical use. If you can enlighten me, it would be great.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Feanor, can you explain more on the use and employment of loitering munitions in this conflict?

Is loitering munitions use effective in this Nagorniy Karabakh conflict or over rated (when compared to a hellfire or spike launched from a long endurance UAV)? Esp. the hit on an Armenian UAZ van, that is claimed to belong to the Armenian Ministry of Emergency Situations.

I just don’t really understand its tactical use. If you can enlighten me, it would be great.
What I saw in the last flare-up was that the Azeris used them very effectively to knock out dug in Amernian T-72s. Their other operations were significant less effective. And I think once the initial surprise wore off, the Armenians recovered well. However the Armenians had no immediate counter to the use of top-attack munitions against their armor, be it Spike missiles, or loitering munitions. Given the complex terrain, and the dug in positions (this conflict has gone on for a very long time) top attack munitions make a lot of sense, and are new to the conflict. They are also very expensive, making it easier for Azerbaijan to get their hands on them then Armenia.

As for long endurance UAVs, Armenia has an air defense grid, and has some EW systems. Larger UAVs spending a long time over the battlefield would be more vulnerable, as they are larger and fly higher. Though in this last fight it looks like even smaller UAVs were taken out quite regularly. It's important to note that since the 2016 fight Armenia has gotten Tor-2MKM systems, a wheeled version of the Tor-M2, which has proven itself to be capable of dealing with small UAVs in Syria, and new EW, including the Infauna, and the Avtobaza systems. So I suspect that the use of loitering munitions (and top attack munitions) by Azerbaijan in 2016, which came as a surprise to Armenia, and was very effective, was far less effective this time around. Interestingly enough, there are some countering claims about the UAZ van being either a comms or a command vehicle for the Armenian military.

Armenia deploying their own top-attack munitions, loitering or otherwise, would represent a parallel move, a sort of symbolic (and possibly actual) restoration of the status quo. It's important to note that in neither case did Azerbaijan achieve any lasting success, despite their significant advantage in technology and resources. But in 2016 the top attack munitions were the most successful tactical component of the Azeri push, and likely the reason they gained ground at all, against dug in mech infantry and armor, in difficult terrain.

The final bit of relevance is that Russia has made a habit of, sometimes covertly and sometimes openly, testing their new gear in various combat zones against lesser opponents. They tested new systems, carefully, in Ukraine in '14-'15, and quite openly in Syria (though not announcing it until after, and even then not always). If Armenia has indeed used "special" UAVs to destroy Azeri tanks, there is a good chance we are talking about Russian systems (Russia did give Armenia that credit line) and possibly Russian loitering munitions, possibly being evaluated before deciding to procure them domestically. Possibly, though, something more sophisticated like the Orion, or the Forpost-M (a Russo-Israeli Searcher upgrade with some ground attack capability).

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some materials on that flare up that I haven't already shared. Please note this has all taken place in July.

Footage from an Armenian loitering munition striking a target.

Some Armenian footage of the remains of Azeri UAVs.

A video of journalists approaching the front line from the Armenian side. They claim that Azeri artillery positions are set up in the middle of village Agdam, intentionally, to deter counter-battery fire.

Footage of a downed Armenian UAV, shot down by Azerbaijan.

Sandhi Yudha

It seems that Azerbaijan has performed a limited attack on Nagorno-Karabakh.
Both sides blame each other of course, but Armenia claims that it destroyed two helicopters, three UAVs and three tanks of the Azerbaijan armed forces.

Updated news article: Conflict over betwiste regio Nagorno-Karabach laait op

"Turkije steunt Azerbeidzjan en legt de schuld van het oplaaien van het conflict eenzijdig bij Armenië. "Het moet onmiddellijk stoppen met de vijandelijkheden die de regio in brand zetten", zei de Turkse minister van Defensie. Hij zei dat Turkije Azerbeidzjan met al zijn middelen zal steunen."
Translation:
"Turkey supports Azerbaijan en blames Armenia.
....... ...... ....... The Turkish Minister of Defence said that Turkey will support Azerbaijan with everything they have."

Well, hopefully Turkey will not interfere/mix up with this conflict. Joining the war in Syria and Lybia gives already enough headaches....

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The attack may not be so limited. It appears that Azerbaijan performed a partial mobilization, and there's even unconfirmed information of fighters from Syria flown in by Turkey to participate. They appear to be trying to advance along many sections of the front line into NK. We have confirmation of some losses on both sides, the Azeris claiming 12 destroyed Osa, and in some sources Tor, SAMs, Armenia claims 6 destroyed Azeri tanks, 2 helicopters, 15 UAVs, 3 BMP-2s, 1 IMR-3 (tank-based mineclearing vehicle). The first link has several videos of Armenian armor getting shot apart under strange circumstances. Armenia has declared a full mobilization, which is probably wise given the situation with Nahichevan, and the unknown potential for Turkish involvement.

It appears that Azerbaijan is calling this a "counter-attack" though that strikes me as questionable. It also appears that despite their losses they have gained some ground and taken several villages. It's unclear whether they will be able to hold them.

EDIT: The fight is heating up. Armenia is mobilizing all reservists up to the age of 55. Azerbaijan just announced a state of war. The Armenians are acknowledging over 100 casualties, out of them 16 KIA. Azerbaijan has stated that the war will continue until they have regained full control of the NKR. Armenia has stated that they are considering recognition of the NKR. There is also unconfirmed information of an Armenian garrison in Agdere that's been surrounded by the Azeris and is being asked to surrender. There is so far not enough specific footage to verify claims of territorial gains by Azerbaijan, but they claim 7 villages in the south-east taken. There is also information that the road from Stepankert to Armenia is under Azeri fire.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Like Feanor already said, this conflict turns out to be on a larger scale than initially reported
Armenia and Azerbaijan fight over disputed Nagorno-Karabakh tells that "At least 23 people were reported to have been killed on Sunday as the two ex-Soviet republics battled over the Nagorno-Karabakh region." and shows video footages taken by the armed forces of Armenia and Azerbaijan.

Reading the reports of Feanor, the amount of casualties will certainly rises...

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like Feanor already said, this conflict turns out to be on a larger scale than initially reported
Armenia and Azerbaijan fight over disputed Nagorno-Karabakh tells that "At least 23 people were reported to have been killed on Sunday as the two ex-Soviet republics battled over the Nagorno-Karabakh region." and shows video footages taken by the armed forces of Armenia and Azerbaijan.

Reading the reports of Feanor, the amount of casualties will certainly rises...
I suspect casualties are in the low triple digits by now. You can take a look at the destroyed and captured vehicles, as well as the Azeri casualties still lying around, taken by the Armenians. This appears to be a separate motor-rifles column destroyed, from the earlier footage of T-72s, an IMR-3, and some BMP-3s, with T-72s hitting land mines, and the IMR taking fire. There are claims of a captured BMP-3 but I don't see it in the footage. Fair warning the first video in the link shows some of the bodies of Azeri soldiers.

What makes it really interesting is that this UAV footage surfaced, allegedly of destroyed and abandoned Armenian vehicles. It's hard to tell from the footage, so it's believable. Except if you see the images above, it becomes obvious that this is the same column, and in the footage above you can tell the column is Azeri.

Meanwhile a VIP Turkish jet has landed in Baku, possibly carrying some sort of important delegation. And a Russian An-124 from the 224th squadron flew to Yerevan.

From what I can see right now, it looks to me like the Azeris have attempted a major push against the Armenians, may have made some initial gains though even that is in dispute, and then lost steam and are now taking serious losses. It's quite likely that the Azeris technological edge yielded some gains in attrition, including the destruction of many Osa SAMs. There is also some footage surfacing of UAV strikes by the Azeris.

There's also this video of the Azeri BTR-82 taking a hit, and then a destroyed column of trucks getting pushed off the road by Azeri BMP-3s. Initially the second segment surfaced amid claims that the destroyed trucks are Armenian, but this makes little sense, and it's likely that the column is an Azeri troop column hit by an artillery strike. Either that, or the Azeris have broken through pretty deep into the Armenian defenses. The second is possibly, but in my opinion far less likely.

There are also photos surfacing allegedly of a downed Azeri Mi-8 but that are actually photos of a Russian crashed An-2 from years back.

Armenian Smerch moving towards the front line.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Of course the Turks will support Azerbaijan because they still don't like the Armenians. They will also see this as an opportunity for more meddling in affairs that don't concern them. I see this meddling as an expression of Erdoğan's megalomania of being the next Ottoman Sultan. However with Russia supporting Armenia that's the third region where Erdoğan is on opposite sides to Putin and he's been wanting to be mates with Putin recently.

@Feanor I understand that the Russians are pretty pragmatic, will they sell munitions and provide support for existing Russian weapons systems to both sides? Or will they favour Armenia over Azerbaijan? This is interesting because if they favour Armenia that opens the door to Turkey, but I would think the PRC in providing arms, munitions etc., to Azerbaijan at what would look like favourable terms, but in the end could be a debt trap.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course the Turks will support Azerbaijan because they still don't like the Armenians. They will also see this as an opportunity for more meddling in affairs that don't concern them. I see this meddling as an expression of Erdoğan's megalomania of being the next Ottoman Sultan. However with Russia supporting Armenia that's the third region where Erdoğan is on opposite sides to Putin and he's been wanting to be mates with Putin recently.

@Feanor I understand that the Russians are pretty pragmatic, will they sell munitions and provide support for existing Russian weapons systems to both sides? Or will they favour Armenia over Azerbaijan? This is interesting because if they favour Armenia that opens the door to Turkey, but I would think the PRC in providing arms, munitions etc., to Azerbaijan at what would look like favourable terms, but in the end could be a debt trap.
It really is a good question. Armenia is an actual ally. They house a significant Russian military base, they are CSTO and Eurasian Union members, they've even sent personnel to Syria in support of Russian operations. They're not inherently that valuable, on the other hand they're objectively tied to Russia and in large part on account of the ever-present threat of Azerbaijan. Azerbaijan is potentially a more valuable ally, but Azerbaijan is not an ally. They are at best a partner. They buy Russian weapons, for hard cash, and in quantity. But they also buy Turkish and Israeli weapons. And they clearly consider Turkey an ally. Aliev (the president of Azerbaijan) is a post-Soviet autocrat in the vein of Nazarbaev and somewhat Putin himself, so he is an acceptable figure to Russia, and is likely far less acceptable to the West which adds another dimension to all of this. Overall I think Russia wants to de-escalate the situation without either side being pissed off too much. I suspect that the things Russia could supply in the course of this war are unlikely to have a strategic impact on Azerbaijan. It's unlikely they have a shortage of T-90 spare parts. Once the war is over there's a good chance Russia will happily sell replacements for any losses taken, assuming Azerbaijan is in the market for traditional Russian armor, arty, etc. all of which has proven to be of questionable utility in recent flare ups. I think Russia will rush relevant, and high-tech assets to Armenia to counter the UAV threat that Azerbaijan clearly poses with the highly effective Bayraktar TB2s. Possibly some more Tor-M2s, possibly some more advanced ELINT and EW. Armenia has also received recently 4 Su-30SM fighter jets, and it will be interesting to see if they see action (and even more interesting who will fly them). I think Azerbaijan can expect continued support and supply of their traditional Russian/Soviet armor and artillery. It's an open question whether Armenia will use their Su-30SM, and whether Azerbaijan will weigh in with their Su-300PMU2s (which might be part of the reason Armenia isn't already using them).

As for the PRC, what can they offer the Azeris that would give them a real military edge over the Armenians and allow them to effectively take and hold ground in this difficult terrain? I suppose they could sell the Azeris the same sort of advanced loitering munitions and UCAVs that the Israelis and Turks have been selling. On the other hand, why would Azerbaijan change suppliers? Small arms, light armor, etc. Aliev has enough cash to buy all that in bulk, and has done so, from Russia or Turkey.

To sum it up, I don't think Russia will cut off Azerbaijan but they certainly won't provide them with capabilities that would radically shift the balance of power (and in some ways they almost can't, note how Russia doesn't have it's own robust and combat-proven loitering munitions, UCAVs, etc.). However, assuming this conflict doesn't turn into a long open war between Armenia and Azerbaijan, I don't think they will refuse support for already purchased systems, or refuse to sell replacements for losses taken. I also suspect Azerbaijan won't be lining up to buy more BMP-3s, BTR-82As, BM-30s, 2S31s, T-90s, etc. The military successes that they've had came from advanced, almost cutting edge, tech sourced from Israel and Turkey.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
The military successes that they've had came from advanced, almost cutting edge, tech sourced from Israel and Turkey.
Seems that's what Armenian afraid of @Feanor the supplies from Israel arms deal with Azerbaijan clearly rattle Armenian as they see it provide edge on Azerbaijan military capabilities over them.

Shown what around USD 5 bio arms deal that Azerbaijan procurement with IAI giving them technology edge over what Armenian has.

Perhaps Russia try to give balance between Armenian and Azerbaijan. However with their oil income, Azerbaijan has more resources to give edge from Armenian. This perhaps why Turkey and Israel willing to sided more with Azerbaijan. Off course both also have interest to stay off any potential Iranian influence in Azerbaijan.

Armenian with their large diaspora in West, perhaps can gain more symphatetics voice from West. However in the end this still Russian back yard, with Turkey and Israel now also playing.