Movies with good Jet Air Combat?

warf

movie

One that I like is " Flight of the Intruder " it takes place in Vietnam " .

just watched Jet Pilot with John Wayne in it. The dog fights were almost not there and the ones that were are lousy. But it is a good movie. :(:(

Just tried to watch Sky Fighters but it is in French and the subtitles scroll by so fast that u have a very hard time reading them. It looks like it maybe a fair movie. But on my scale of 1 to 10. I would give it a 4 due to the subtitles. Now if it were in English I would give it a 7.

Found another vision but it was in Japanese or Chinese. Same rating.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
The McConnell Story also titled Tiger in the Sky in some releases starring Alan Ladd tells the story of America's first triple jet ace in the Korean War. I loved the close up scenes of the F-86F Sabres, although they had to use F-84s to simulate North Korean MIG -15s.

I thought the air to air combat scenes were excellent, especially considering the fact that the movie was made in 1955.

Tas

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
A reminder to all posting in this thread. The posting of one-liners is a violation of Rule 2 of the Forum Rules. On occasion, the Mod Team may tolerate a post with one-line; but not all the time.

For new members or members with less than 50 posts, if you post a one-liner in this thread, it will be deleted. Thank you for your attention.

bdique

If you guys are fine with Anime...

Check out Yukikaze, originally a sci-fi novel written by Chohei Kambayashi. Love it for the dogfight scenes with realistic, plausible aircraft doing battle with polygonal alien aircraft.

Beautiful scenery, beautiful aircraft. The titular Yukikaze aircraft is not a really fighter but a high performance recconaisance jet. Looks like a Su-30 mixed with a F-15. Later the show explores the role of UCAVs, with some sick looking models performing jaw-dropping dogfights BECAUSE there is no pilot.

Finally, what I really love about the show is admittedly rather cerebral - it explores how AI can assist humans in directing battle through networked sensor fusion. For those who need an introduction to what the networked battlefield of the future might look like, this is the show to watch. ;)

Juice

I completely agree with Icekid, les chevaliers du ceils (Sky Fighters) is far and away the best jet combat film I've ever seen. The French Armee de L'Air were chilled enough to allow clearances of only 3 feet between aircraft during filming sequences and supplied operational pilots and aircrew to assist in filming.

bdique

I completely agree with Icekid, les chevaliers du ceils (Sky Fighters) is far and away the best jet combat film I've ever seen. The French Armee de L'Air were chilled enough to allow clearances of only 3 feet between aircraft during filming sequences and supplied operational pilots and aircrew to assist in filming.
Was searching for les chevaliers du ceils but somehow ended up with a Chinese dogfighting movie that was...well...lots of bad CGI? Haha...later I realised that the English title of the movie is also called Sky Fighters.

icekid

My favorite is Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag, it's a documentary. Amazing footage of aircraft best seen on a full HD TV.

The article missed Flyboys and Red Baron. I would liked Stealth too, but the aircraft were fictional.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
My favorite is Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag, it's a documentary. Amazing footage of aircraft best seen on a full HD TV.

The article missed Flyboys and Red Baron. I would liked Stealth too, but the aircraft were fictional.
If you like documentaries, there's an old series called (If I remember correctly) Battlefield, with each episode covering a type of warfare. The air power episode is very good, it examines and contrasts the use of air power during the first Gulf War with that of the Luftwaffe during the Battle of Britain. It's a lot more zoomed-out than most combat aircraft documentaries as it provides a look at the overall intent and effects of air power in a strategic sense. It's quite different in that way, as a lot of aircraft docos tend to get romantic or platform-centric. Worth a look for anyone interested in the conduct of air warfare. I believe there's another episode dedicated entirely to strategic bombing, as well.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Battleplan? I bought the set, had to get it from the UK as no one else had it at the time
That's the one, Battleplan! Cheers for the reminder, it's been a while since I threw it on. I managed to find the set at JB a few years back, it's not too bad as documentaries go, isn't it? Certainly I think it's helpful for a civilian viewer (including myself) as far as illustrating the broader concepts of a type of warfare rather than these mass produced, cheaply re-enacted myopic things you get from some of the crappier tv networks that focus sharply on individual platforms or people...

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
That's the one, Battleplan! Cheers for the reminder, it's been a while since I threw it on. I managed to find the set at JB a few years back, it's not too bad as documentaries go, isn't it? Certainly I think it's helpful for a civilian viewer (including myself) as far as illustrating the broader concepts of a type of warfare rather than these mass produced, cheaply re-enacted myopic things you get from some of the crappier tv networks that focus sharply on individual platforms or people...
The poms do a bloody good job with those types of docos....