Missile craft launched

P.A.F

http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/article_001886.shtml

KARACHI, Sept 13: "Pakistan Navy has achieved yet another milestone in the indigenous construction of naval platform and has made a quantum leap towards self-reliance in building missile crafts by utilizing indigenous resources."

This was stated by Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Shahid Karimullah while speaking at the launching ceremony of Fast Attack Missile Craft 'Quwwat' at Karachi Shipyard & Engineering Works on Monday.

He said protection of national maritime interests for a sustained economic growth required a strong and balanced navy. The successful launching of the missile craft is an important step in this direction and will help strengthen the country's seaward defence due to availability of additional combat platforms.

The Chief of the Naval Staff said that the transfer of technology inherent in the construction of the missile craft had not only given boost to the "construction and maintenance aptitude of our personnel but, at the same time, has furthered the national cause of indigenization and self-reliance which is now our abiding policy".

He highlighted the strategic importance of Karachi Shipyard and Engineering Works in the maritime defence of the country. He said that Pakistan Navy had not taken over the shipyard.

However, extensive studies have been undertaken by the Navy to revive the shipyard and proposals will be presented to the prime minister for subsequent strategy for the organization.

Talking to newsmen after the inauguration, Admiral Shahid said Pakistan Navy had started the construction of the missile craft about seven years ago. The craft built earlier needed improvement in speed and weaponry.

Over the last few years the Navy has achieved excellence and sophistication in this area and the craft being built today are manufactured with respect to weaponry, sensors and speed as advanced equipment have been selected for installation on board the craft.

Responding to a question, he said that the craft would be open to sale in the international market and presently are on display in the Ideas 2004 for visiting defence delegations. He also said that the Navy was moving ahead to build F-22 frigates in collaboration with China. -PPI

P.A.F

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
hey some time back pakistan brought a tanker which was grounded for a couple of million. i think thay used the metal and other parts to construct this ship. not sure though ;) i have to say it's a huge milestone for the navy ;)

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
P.A.F said:
hey some time back pakistan brought a tanker which was grounded for a couple of million. i think thay used the metal and other parts to construct this ship. not sure though ;) i have to say it's a huge milestone for the navy ;)
What? :? :? :?

That was greek tanker which was GROUNDED not taken apart to make this boat. :lolol

srirangan

Banned Member
WHy would anybody use scrap metal from a second hand tanker to make a high speed boat for the navy. PAF you must've been mistaken somewhere.

P.A.F

okay :roll what r u talking about webbie? when did i say that it was a greek tanker? as a matter of fact it was an old chilian naval tanker not greek ;)

P.A.F

i'll provide source as soon as i get it to fix this so called confusion.