Miscellaneous Military Technology

buffy9

This link discusses Nammo's ramjet missiles and ramjet artillery shells (latter in partnership with Boeing). Another example of Norway punching above its weight.

Closing the Range Gap
The more I hear about ramjet and scramjet the more I like and the more I worry. If the extensions of range and precision are accurate, even a small high quality force can reach out over a massive area.

I imagine China will focus a great deal on this as it seeks to push outwards to the Second Island Chain.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The more I hear about ramjet and scramjet the more I like and the more I worry. If the extensions of range and precision are accurate, even a small high quality force can reach out over a massive area.

I imagine China will focus a great deal on this as it seeks to push outwards to the Second Island Chain.
Yep, nightmare stuff for defenders and ramjet and scramjet powered missiles launched by airborne and naval assets really extend that range.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Interesting article on augmented reality for the common soldier. It's pros and cons. Something that you see on Star Wars now becoming reality.

Terran

Interesting article on augmented reality for the common soldier. It's pros and cons. Something that you see on Star Wars now becoming reality.

Not really Star Wars more Robocop. Even kinda looks it
68D29FF9-C2AC-4F71-86F8-AD7B799FA404.png
The latest iterations of the Family of Weapons Sights-Individual And Enhanced Night Vision-Binocular already added a overlay display that feeds Data from the weapons sight to the ENVG.https://youtu.be/1iDkVasHZog
F0D888C2-235A-48DF-98BB-589982B55F59.png
Back pre 9/11 the Army was trying to do this with Land Warrior then Built on available tech but failed mostly as they just didn’t have the tech ready. They could do it kinda but it weighed a ton, was laggy and low res. They simplified and went to just a communications network. It was still to heavy until the IPhone came of age.
Now this. Though it still has some time before being ready for Prime time. Reliability, military spec ruggedness battery life has to be sorted. One question I have is night vision and these. What it seems like they would want a Halo players eye view. Where in the hud and Night vision display are one and the same. The old Objective force warrior mock ups had a fake night vision mount on each side of the helmet for that. The nods would then project onto a visor in the helmet. Of course it was only a mock up.
You would also want to be able to aim your shots. The army NGSW Plans for a smart scope that might help.
CCD4FF36-8AD2-4156-8169-A229196E6771.png
Though it to remains to be seen if it works well with the hololens based visor. For snap shots if it could stream data like the FWSI that might work but longer shots might need some work on ergonomics. Same for Night vision.
I suspect that if this proves practical you would see it easily worked for armored crews and infantry units, but specialized version for Snipers, Special ops and Special Forces. Snipers as good luck getting a good line up behind a scope wearing that. Special ops as they would probably want something more ninja. And Special Forces as they work more with the locals and want to be relatable. Storm troopers tend to scare the natives.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sandhi Yudha

The youngest sister of the ShKH vz. 77 DANA and ZUZANA wheeled self-propelled howitzers.
It looks much more compact with the new low profile turret.

Big_Zucchini

The youngest sister of the ShKH vz. 77 DANA and ZUZANA wheeled self-propelled howitzers.
It looks much more compact with the new low profile turret.

Seems like it's aimed at the low cost high maneuverability of some ASEAN, south American, and African nations. Otherwise I cannot think of any reason to develop an L45-based system.

Big_Zucchini

It is unclear how light or heavy these armour plates are, but it looks innovative and practical.
It is a good, well known, and established solution against small arms fire (limit appears to be the lower end of medium caliber rounds).
It does need to come as a complementary defense behind another sheet of armor to avoid exterior damage. And it is not very useful for prolonged conflicts.

An alternative solution currently in study is metal foam, which promises to be effective against a wider range of munitions.

But overall it appears most users prefer heavier holistic armor solutions like ERA that utilizes level 4 or 5 armor plates at the exterior.

Perforated armor provides excellent per hit effect over weight, but loses quite a lot of structural strength for that, which is deemed by many to be a not so good trade-off.

It's important to remember that angle of impact is a crucial aspect of armor technology against any threat.
Looking above the IMO outdated STANAG 4569 armor standard levels, practically every armor is a reactive one - whether the explosive type (ERA or SLERA), or the nicer more balanced ones (NERA or NxRA).
Reactive armor types are able to exponentially increase their effectiveness according to the impact angle of the projectile, which explains why they're practically as good as paper when they're perpendicular to the projectile. This is not because the angle merely adds more line of sight thickness, but because the outer blown plate of a reactive armor block can transfer more of its energy to the projectile, whether it's an APFSDS, or HEAT.

As NxRA becomes increasingly viable on light armored vehicles, and ERA can be seen on AFVs sub 20 tons, and can protect certain AFVs sides against things like RPGs, the idea of perforated armor approaches more and more the market of low cost, low end solutions. So I don't see it being widely adopted anywhere. But as an emergency upgrade it might be quite popular.

Big_Zucchini

Rafael unveils new anti-APFSDS oriented armor at IAV 2021:
The armor has peak density on the turret, at roughly 700kg/m2. This may well be because of a double layer on the turret.

On one hand, the article says it's ERA, but on the title alone. The quoted Rafael expert does not mention ERA at all. He does mention multi-hit capability. To demonstrate it, he says multiple shots were fired at the same array, but it's unknown if he meant the same plate was hit, or two different ones within an array.

ERA is the explosive variant of the family of reactive armors. It uses explosives to create the most violent reaction possible, but destroys the array/box in the process. Variants like SLERA and NxRA reduce the volatility of the reaction, but add a multi-hit capability.
NxRA is a relatively new tech, and it seems to provide an optimal balance between per-hit effect and multi-hit capability.
So while it is impossible to tell whether it's ERA or not, the numbers given "50% reduction of penetration" seems like ERA numbers.

Not so long ago, a key innovation in ERA was insensitive explosives that allowed the ERA to take light shots without detonating, and prevention of detonation of nearby tiles.

If indeed Rafael managed to make an ERA that has multi-hit capability, and such similar results between the 1st and 2nd shot, then that's quite the big news. But I don't suppose that would be particularly cheap, and usually ERA tiles can be small enough for users to consider their lack of survival to be okay.

Sandhi Yudha

On Loara-M i saw photos of a Loara-M mock-up on a Rosomak 8x8 vehicle (Polish version of Patria AMV).

What kind of missile is used for this configuration? It looks too big for the Grom-missile. Or is this variant cancelled? After all its just a mock-up and after 10 years there are no any other photos.

Attachments

Big_Zucchini

The link you gave shows someone's comment saying it's just a mock up and not made to accommodate any specific missile.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Another AHEAD ammo based system from Rheinmetall combined with a laser. Apparently it can be interfaced to Boxers or Lynxes.

Sandhi Yudha

Another AHEAD ammo based system from Rheinmetall combined with a laser. Apparently it can be interfaced to Boxers or Lynxes.

Thank you for sharing.
Looks interesting. I wonder what the missiles are that they are using.
Me too.
I also wonder if Oerlikon want to modify their Skyshield 35 mm system with this HEL.