Miscellaneous Military Technology

buffy9

This link discusses Nammo's ramjet missiles and ramjet artillery shells (latter in partnership with Boeing). Another example of Norway punching above its weight.

Closing the Range Gap
The more I hear about ramjet and scramjet the more I like and the more I worry. If the extensions of range and precision are accurate, even a small high quality force can reach out over a massive area.

I imagine China will focus a great deal on this as it seeks to push outwards to the Second Island Chain.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The more I hear about ramjet and scramjet the more I like and the more I worry. If the extensions of range and precision are accurate, even a small high quality force can reach out over a massive area.

I imagine China will focus a great deal on this as it seeks to push outwards to the Second Island Chain.
Yep, nightmare stuff for defenders and ramjet and scramjet powered missiles launched by airborne and naval assets really extend that range.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Interesting article on augmented reality for the common soldier. It's pros and cons. Something that you see on Star Wars now becoming reality.

Terran

Interesting article on augmented reality for the common soldier. It's pros and cons. Something that you see on Star Wars now becoming reality.

Not really Star Wars more Robocop. Even kinda looks it
68D29FF9-C2AC-4F71-86F8-AD7B799FA404.png
The latest iterations of the Family of Weapons Sights-Individual And Enhanced Night Vision-Binocular already added a overlay display that feeds Data from the weapons sight to the ENVG.https://youtu.be/1iDkVasHZog
F0D888C2-235A-48DF-98BB-589982B55F59.png
Back pre 9/11 the Army was trying to do this with Land Warrior then Built on available tech but failed mostly as they just didn’t have the tech ready. They could do it kinda but it weighed a ton, was laggy and low res. They simplified and went to just a communications network. It was still to heavy until the IPhone came of age.
Now this. Though it still has some time before being ready for Prime time. Reliability, military spec ruggedness battery life has to be sorted. One question I have is night vision and these. What it seems like they would want a Halo players eye view. Where in the hud and Night vision display are one and the same. The old Objective force warrior mock ups had a fake night vision mount on each side of the helmet for that. The nods would then project onto a visor in the helmet. Of course it was only a mock up.
You would also want to be able to aim your shots. The army NGSW Plans for a smart scope that might help.
CCD4FF36-8AD2-4156-8169-A229196E6771.png
Though it to remains to be seen if it works well with the hololens based visor. For snap shots if it could stream data like the FWSI that might work but longer shots might need some work on ergonomics. Same for Night vision.
I suspect that if this proves practical you would see it easily worked for armored crews and infantry units, but specialized version for Snipers, Special ops and Special Forces. Snipers as good luck getting a good line up behind a scope wearing that. Special ops as they would probably want something more ninja. And Special Forces as they work more with the locals and want to be relatable. Storm troopers tend to scare the natives.