Military Aviation News and Discussion

Millennium7

Hello everyone

I prepared a video about AAMs. Maybe it is a bit simple for the level of competency that you can find on this forum but I thought it would be interesting anyway. If you don't like the video you are free to crack jokes about how I am dressed.

Mod Edit: Embedded link promoting a YouTube channel deleted.

-Preceptor

Last edited by a moderator:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I wonder what these potential customers were previously considering, C-130s or A400Ms? I think Airbus should be more worried than LM.

swerve

Super Moderator
Who says they were previously considering something else? A few countries have expressed an interest in the past but haven't yet bought anything, e.g. Peru, Sweden & South Africa. And IIRC the countries that have announced an intention to buy x number haven't all signed contracts: Portugal, the Czech Republic, Argentina, Chile & Colombia.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
India Lockheed seeks to shake off Pakistan tag, offers F-21 series only for India

I know marketing gimmick perhaps deemed necessary for LM to rebadged F-16 as F-21 for Indian market.
Market F-21 as Indian tailor need F-16 derivatives..also will differentiate F-21 to be build in India, as toward other F-16 "V" where some customers will be reluctant to buy F-16 V if it's build in India.

However how it will have different capabilities then F-16V ?..I doubt that this F-21 will be a 'clean' sheet design..it's just to expensive..
Saying this F-21 will be a different aircraft then F-16V..well isn't bit missleading ?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
India Lockheed seeks to shake off Pakistan tag, offers F-21 series only for India

I know marketing gimmick perhaps deemed necessary for LM to rebadged F-16 as F-21 for Indian market.
Market F-21 as Indian tailor need F-16 derivatives..also will differentiate F-21 to be build in India, as toward other F-16 "V" where some customers will be reluctant to buy F-16 V if it's build in India.

However how it will have different capabilities then F-16V ?..I doubt that this F-21 will be a 'clean' sheet design..it's just to expensive..
Saying this F-21 will be a different aircraft then F-16V..well isn't bit missleading ?
I agree to a certain extent. However I have heard through the grapevine that Tata does have a reasonably good reputation, so that may work in it's favour. If LM can keep HAL at arms length then it has a reasonable possibility. However once HAL becomes involved in anything, it basically goes belly up because of the inherent inertia, mismanagement, sheer incompetence and the apathetic ponderous bureaucracy within HAL.

The interesting thing for me is the F-22 / F-35 tech being offered although I do have rough suspicions of what some of it may be and that would be centred around sensor fusion, along with the ability for the pilots to have full all axis 360 degree visual coverage from his seat. That technology is making it's way to some helos and IIRC now is being offered as part of the F-15X package for the USAF.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Well, F-16V also being market as F-16 with F-22 and F-35 flavours..in sense LM also put aspects of F-35/F-22 tech..which as you say most centered on Sensors, electronics, and networking..

However as the plane itself..it has not changed much..in sense no significant changes on airframes that deemed it as new design..

If that article right..then it seems LM tounted F-21 has significant difference from F-16 that need different design sheet.

I mean, like SU-35..it's difference with other Flankers, from engines, sensors, electronics and if I'm not wrong also in building materials with more composite that the Russian market that as different Aircraft from other Flankers family.

Just don't see that LM will invest that much just to provide one version for India only.

Millennium7

Hi Everyone

Since I realized that many of you do like this kind of videos. I put together some more, it is a real fun for me.

This one focuses on the French Dassault Rafale (feel free to comment about the baguette fighter on YouTube, I don't take this personally...:)

Mod Edit: Embedded link promoting a YouTube channel deleted.

-Preceptor

Hello everyone

I prepared a video about AAMs. Maybe it is a bit simple for the level of competency that you can find on this forum but I thought it would be interesting anyway. If you don't like the video you are free to crack jokes about how I am dressed.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Came across this article the other day and it is rather lengthy but interesting. The paper proposes that military technology has become so exotic and complicated that merely stealing designs along with reverse engineering is no longer effective. A discussion and historical examples are provided. The authors use China's quest for a 5th GEN fighter as an example of how hard it now is to match US jets despite huge cyber theft of designs and related information together with huge financial resources. By the time some of these reverse engineered designs enter production, they are already obsolete. I think the financial resources and ever increasing pool of Chinese scientists and engineers, all controlled by a dictatorship, is probably a bigger concern than IP theft and spying.

The first link is an interview, the second is the paper.

Andrea and Mauro Gilli on Why China Can't Steal Its Way to Military-Technological Superiority

MIT Press Journals

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Came across this article the other day and it is rather lengthy but interesting. The paper proposes that military technology has become so exotic and complicated that merely stealing designs along with reverse engineering is no longer effective. A discussion and historical examples are provided. The authors use China's quest for a 5th GEN fighter as an example of how hard it now is to match US jets despite huge cyber theft of designs and related information together with huge financial resources. By the time some of these reverse engineered designs enter production, they are already obsolete. I think the financial resources and ever increasing pool of Chinese scientists and engineers, all controlled by a dictatorship, is probably a bigger concern than IP theft and spying.

The first link is an interview, the second is the paper.

Andrea and Mauro Gilli on Why China Can't Steal Its Way to Military-Technological Superiority

MIT Press Journals
I remember reading about three or four years ago that the reason the PRC has problems with its own gas turbine engines is because they can't replicate the advanced metallurgy required. However given time and resourcing they will solve the metallurgy problems. During the 1920s & early 1930s the USSR was a world leader in aviation and rocketry, in fact it was well ahead of anyone else until Stalin's paranoia kicked in and he started his purges executing or sending to the gulags many of the Soviet Unions brightest and best. During the late 1950s Mao basically did the same in the PRC and then reinforced it in the 1960s with the Cultural Revolution. Xi Jinping appears to be a traditional Maoist and wanting to return the Party, people and nation back to the ways, thought and purity of Maoist ideology. If that's the case, then he won't make Stalin's or Mao's mistakes, but increase Party control over the scientific and engineering institutions and other institutions of learning. This will also mean increased funding in areas that the CMC (Central military Commission) deem important, such as acquiring foreign military technologies and adapting them for PRC use.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
The engines require the merging of many technologies. This was one of the paper’s points and none of that stuff can easily be copied. It is also worth noting that Russian military jet engines, although superior to Chinese engines, still lag behind US designs and Russia has been in the game for a long time.

One difficult technology that the paper didn’t mention was the Nazi V-2 program. Even with designs and the Germans that were part of the program to assist, both the Russians and the Americans required significant time to duplicate the Nazi effort, even with massive resources and not having to deal with two huge armies bearing down on them.