MiG News

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
"Technically" the Mig-35 is out of the Brazilian F-X2 competition and the Gripen, Rafale, and F/A-18E/F are officially the remaining contenders by FAB.
It was never in it. Su-35BM was. And it seems to be out of the tender.

We have promises of domestic orders for MiG. They are also working hard to develop the Skat UAV, which would be the first Russian UCAV. Also rumors of a "light" 5th gen fighter project, although I suspect that it will turn out to be false.

MiG won't exist as a company soon as it will be merged with the UAC. So all marketing, sales, etc. will be done through them. The research bureau will continue to exist but it's unclear whether they will continue to develop aircraft on their own. For example currently they're in on the PAK-FA project, along with Yakovlev and Sukhoi.

Haavarla

Do any one know if these are operational today?

Air Forces Monthly magazine (pretty reliable source), April 2009 issue, p. 72 states 291 MiG-29 are still operational:

-783rd Training Centre, Armavir
-14th Fighter Aviation Regiment, Kursk
-28th Fighter Aviation Regiment , Andreapol
-237th Air Technology Demonstration Centre of Guards, Kubinka
-19th Fighter Aviation Regiment, Millerovo
-31st Fighter Aviation Regiment, Zernograd
-120th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment, Domna

Or has some of them been removed/merged with others?

Thanks

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Do any one know if these are operational today?

Air Forces Monthly magazine (pretty reliable source), April 2009 issue, p. 72 states 291 MiG-29 are still operational:

-783rd Training Centre, Armavir
-14th Fighter Aviation Regiment, Kursk
-28th Fighter Aviation Regiment , Andreapol
-237th Air Technology Demonstration Centre of Guards, Kubinka
-19th Fighter Aviation Regiment, Millerovo
-31st Fighter Aviation Regiment, Zernograd
-120th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment, Domna

Or has some of them been removed/merged with others?

Thanks
Here's another source that shows a total of 130 active duty Russian Fulcrums (90 AF/AD, 40 Navy)

MIG-29/MIG-35 Fulcrum Counter-Air Fighter

Davyd

I figured i'd ask this here as i couldn't find a better spot and didn't want to start a thread when the title fits so well. So excuse for bumping this if deemed too unnecessary....

But where is the love for the MiG-29? Or the design bureau for that matter? I mean, MiG IS Russia. They are as Russian as apple pie is American. Are their bureaucrats and the like really the same as all elsewhere? "What have you done for me lately?" You know the style. Since Sukhoi and all of its' Flankers are getting the limelight and the production and the funding and the exports.... See what i'm saying? The -29 was designed in the same vein - why couldn't it have faired as well? More to the point, they could've supported it better. Since both airframes (the -29 and Su-27 family) are fairly similar and at or near each other in age of design i'd have expected them both to be quite nurtured and successful. It stood to reason that the F-14/-15 had an equal in the Su-27 while the F-16/-18 had its equal in the MiG-29. I know, i know; the empire crumbled and they couldn't afford it. Well why not retire ALL of those goofy variants of aged designs and just go with the two all around? Plus another here and there (A-10=Su-25 and so on). Ultimately that should cut costs instead of having to take care of the whole fleet and its variety.

But i digress. Really i'm just. . . I don't know what to call it. It's not like it affects me directly or anything. And maybe i'm just biased cause i like the -29. But it seems that the plane should be doing just as well as the Flanker family. And the reality is everyone wants to put it out to pasture what i feel is prematurely.

On a side note to that: i know more than a few of you on here glance at Air Forces Monthly. If you can remember or if you have it even, you may notice that in the Nov 2009 issue there was a picture of a -29KUB on page 34 that seemed to have a serrated edge to its nose radome. Wonder if there's anything to that or just a shadow trick?

EDIT: Just found this and it shows the 'serrations'. Maybe just part of the hinging mechanism: http://sitelife.aviationweek.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/5/13/15f06fc8-e134-48eb-ad95-fb0603c73099.Full.jpg

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the 90s MiG had far worse political clout, on the international market, as a result the Su-27began to overtake MiG. Sukhoi was not all that famous to begin with, while MiG had a history. So part of the situation was that when the need came to adapt to new conditions Sukhoi found that easier to do being a newcomer to the mainstream fighter-jet production. Additionally, the 90s and early 00s saw almost no state funding for both companies. However because Sukhoi won Indian, Chinese, and later a bucket-load of other, tenders they were able to not only stay afloat and keep multiple aviation plants running, but were also able to fund R&D programs. Much of the PAK-FA program was funded by Sukhoi (not the actual program, but the inputs that went into it rather). MiG on the other hand was left in a bind. By the mid 00s it was in a crisis. It had won no large scale orders. It's more advanced Mig-31 had found no market at all, neither had the MiG-29M. All they managed to sell were refurbished and modernized MiG-29s from VVS stocks. And even those sales were small. Finally when the Algerian deal (really a feat of diplomacy, by all rights MiG shouldn't have gotten any of it to begin with) imploded, MiG was done. Washed up and hung out to dry. The MiG-29K orders, and promise of current domestic orders, as well as a radical change in leadership is just what you're talking about. Now that the state has money they want to keep MiG operating in some form or another. After all it's a famous label, a legendary design bureau. We'll see what comes of it.

Haavarla

The Foxhound in operational Service

By Combat Aircraft Monthly september edition 2010.
Written By Stefan Buttner.

The Current status of Mig-31.

Today, major structural changes have taken place in the Russian Armed Forces and from 2009 the RuAF have acquired a new appearance. In essence, Russia's military leadership set about changing the Regimental system of organization into a more effective brigade structure, while simultaneously introducing major changes within each of the standard formations.
For the RuAF this, is debateble and possible not the best situation. Huge cutbacks in Airbases and units.. but perhaps a necessity.

A certain numbers of units having been 'Re-formed', or to be more accurate 'Reduced'.
Of the units operating the Mig-31 & 31BMs, these changes affected Kotlas, where the regiment was reduced to a single sq structure, and Sokolovka, which was also reduced to a single sq and re-located to airfield at Tsentral'naya Uglovaya.
Today like many other bases in the new RuAF structure, this base is equipped with a mix units of upgraded Su-27SM and some Su-24MR/M2s.

Other bases operating Mig-31 finally began to receive the very latest modification; the multi-role Mig-31BM.
This aircraft has an upgraded radar, offering substancially improved performance and technical parameters. The main differences focus on the installed avionics, with the Zalson radar being replaced by the improved Zalson-M radar, originally intended for use on the abortive Mig-31M interceptor.
Thanks to this modification, maximum target detection range is extended to 320km(173nm) anf kill range is increased to 280km(151nm).
This is acheived using the advanced R-37 long-range radar guided AAM, which was developed quite some time ago, but is only now beginning to enter service with the Russian Mig-31 units.
It is claimed that using this missile today will allow a Mig-31 to simultaneously track 10 targets and engage six of them.
The Mig-31BM's avionics suite facilitates a variety of aircombat scenarios, including some that are quite unusual namly:

The aircraft can effectively co-operate with PVO surface-to-air missile or operate as an airborne command post.
When working in a group of other fighters like Su-27SM, Su-30/35 and Strikers like Su-24M2/Su-34's, equipped with less or equal powerful radar, the Mig-31BM can Co-ordinate their activities, providing guidance for their missiles while closing with the targets under radio silence to permissible launch range.
In a number of combat situations such a tactic could substantially increase the effictiveness of a group of fighters.
The Mig-31BM's cockpit has been upgraded to facilitate a range of intercept and support scenarios using satelite navigation, the latest multi-funcional liquid-crystal dispalys and other devices.
Apart from these changes, spatial awareness in formation flying is improved with the installation of a rear-view mirror and fixed periscope/camera for the pilot.

It can also perform AWACS mission if a section of four(otryad) Mig-31s
flying in a line-abreast formation, and seperated from each other by a dist of up to 200km(108nm), to monitor the airspace over linear 'front' of up to 800-900km(430-485nm).
At the same time permitted target distribution and exchange of information with ground and airborne command posts.

Today's the Mig-31 is arguably the only fighter in the world capable of dealing with low RCS low-flying Cruise missiles at very long range, as well as combating in high-altitude, high-speed enviroments.

Despite appearances, the impressive Mig-31 is more than just a throwback to the cold war.
Designed at the end of 1970s against a backdrop of superpower paranoia, the Mig-31 is today an interceptor without direct equal, combating impressive range with a formidable array of weapons, mulit-target capability and a crew of two.
There are just under 200 operative Mig-31 today, with lots of reserve aircraft held in Air Bases like Lipetsk and other places.

Despite of punishing cutbacks, the 'Foxhound' is one asset that the RuAF would like to preserve for as long as possible.
Only time will tell how long Russia can maintain this unique advantage.