MiG-29M/M2 and Mig-31E for Syria

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
yeah but didn't a lot of countries (including Rus) levy the threat of sanctions against Syria after the massacres of protesters and all?

also, the '29 can carry bombs and unguided rocket launchers, so it could be used against opposition if a Libyan-style civil war erupts...
In a civil war yes, but in that scenario the Russians would be supporting the Syrian government anyways. Against protesters it would be like trying to hunt pidgeons with a howitzer.

Finally the 29M is a multirole, and can carry guided A2G weapons.

luccloud

Syria isn't just any body they have been Russian customers for decades.

Syria poses no threat to Russia and is ready to pay cash, so I think Russia is perfectly reasonable to sell weapons to a paying customer.

Plus its not like the Syrians can use the Mig-29s against protesters.
Russia still have to consider possible reign change, international pressure and stuff.

Ozzy Blizzard

In a civil war yes, but in that scenario the Russians would be supporting the Syrian government anyways. Against protesters it would be like trying to hunt pidgeons with a howitzer.
Yes, for civil unrest TACAIR is a little out of its comfort zone. However if we end up seeing actual fighting between opposing 'armies' then teh A2G capability of the MiG 29M will be very handy.

If that is the case then the Russians need to be aware that any new regime may see them as a hostile power for supporting the government with arms.

Finally the 29M is a multirole, and can carry guided A2G weapons.
Kh series of missiles
KAB series of guided bombs
RBK series of cluster munitions

Much akin to an F-16 block 40, if its equipped with a targeting pod. Handy piece of kit...

GelbOne

Kh series of missiles
KAB series of guided bombs
RBK series of cluster munitions

Much akin to an F-16 block 40, if its equipped with a targeting pod. Handy piece of kit...
Bashar al-Assad may think those last two are handy for clearing the streets of "armed goons"... who knows?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bashar al-Assad may think those last two are handy for clearing the streets of "armed goons"... who knows?
Hardly necessary, although possible.

Ozzy Blizzard said:
If that is the case then the Russians need to be aware that any new regime may see them as a hostile power for supporting the government with arms.
Yes. But the new regime will also be desperate, isolated, undemocratic, and possibly outright anti-western. Also as soon as the civil gets into the open phase, I suspect Russian support will become more and more implied rather then open. They certainly won't be bailing out the Syrians with weapon shipments, though they may continue deliveries on contracts.

T.C.P

Russia still have to consider possible reign change, international pressure and stuff.
The military is a seperate body, and if there is a regime change then they will be the biggest and most powerful players in the country, so an order made by the current govt, will still be viable after a regime change, because the military would want the planes.

And look if the govt wanted planes to take care of protesters than they would have gone for more choppers or ground attack/ COIN air craft like the su-25.Using mig-29s to hunt down protestors will be highly ineffective and expensive.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The military is a seperate body, and if there is a regime change then they will be the biggest and most powerful players in the country, so an order made by the current govt, will still be viable after a regime change, because the military would want the planes.

And look if the govt wanted planes to take care of protesters than they would have gone for more choppers or ground attack/ COIN air craft like the su-25.Using mig-29s to hunt down protestors will be highly ineffective and expensive.
Or Hinds. Look at the Sudanese use of Hinds against SLA and SPLA targets (as well as civilians). Much cheaper, available in used and upgraded format, and much better for that job. This Fulcrum purchase, in my opinion, represents the desire to acquire a modern multi-role fighter on par with much else in the region.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rosoboroneksport confirmed that they intend to continue deliveries on signed contracts despite the escalating situation. He also mentioned that they are delivering Yak-130 aircraft, and sims for them.

Ð˜Ð½Ñ‚ÐµÑ€ÐµÑ Ðº роÑÑийÑким ÑредÑтвам ПВО будет раÑти — ÐžÐ Ð£Ð–ИЕ РОССИИ, Каталог вооружениÑ, военной Ð Ñпециальной техники

I really have to wonder what other weapon systems Syria is purchasing atm.

T.C.P

So what about the Mig-31s? are the Syrians getting them too?

Not that it would be a wise decision, it would have been better to get more Mig-29Ms or maybe better air defence systems.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The MiG-31E contract is on hold as far as I know. There was a scandal with corruption surrounding the airframes in storage at Sokol, which changed hands like 3 times, each time increasing in price by orders of magnitude, without ever leaving the warehouse.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It looks like there was a contract for 36 Yak-130s, and production on the contract started last year. Reportedly the cost of the contract is 550 mln USD. There is a possibility that the aircraft will be delivered within a very short timeframe, to avoid losing the contract as instability in Syria increases.

Ú-Ãàçåòà - Ñèðèÿ îòâîåâàëà î÷åðåäíûå ßê-130

A number of existing Syrian Fulcrums were sent to Russia for repairs and overhauls. I wonder if that also includes an upgrade package.

EDIT: A DID article on the Yak-130 sale.

Yakkity Yak - Don’t Talk Back! Syria’s Russian Jet Order

A MiG-29M2, bort number 747, in flight. The aircraft has yet to be painted, so handover is still a little ways away.

bmpd -

Last edited:

K.PRINCE

Banned Member
yes SyAf is just getting stronger and i think that the old migs specially MIG_23 can now carry very adv a2a weapons .look to the syrian A.D. too its super it got buk m2 panstir s1 and old devloped sam 2.5.3.6.18.11.S200 .SOME sources say they already got the pmu2 i mean s300 .i wonder if israel will keep it air power in any near conflict.and the YAKS are smart choice by ALasad really.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
A couple of shots of the second Mig-29M2 for Syria.

bmpd -

I wonder if there will be follow-on orders... given how many older MiG-21s and 23s need to be replaced.