Malaysian Order of Battle

Paxter

Got this of the net.

Tentera Udara (Air Force) Tentera Laut (Navy)

ROYAL MALAYSIAN NAVY:
2 X LEKIU CLASS FFG(VLSEAWOLF,MM40,LYNX 300)
2 X KASTURI CLASS FF(MM40,ASRL,HELOS)
8 X LAKSAMANA CLASS CORVETTE(ASPIDE SAM,OTOMAT)
1 X RAHMAT FF (104MM,40MM,ASRL,HELOS)
1 X HANG TUAH FF-TRAINING
2 X OPV (100MM,30MM TWIN,HELOS)
6 X NGPV(BUILDING-VLSAM,MM40,LYNX 300) ( 25 more in the works )
4 X SPICA M FAC(MM38,57MM AND 40MM GUN)
4 X HANDALAN CLASS FAC (MM38,57MM AND 40MM GUN)
6 X TNC 45 JERUNG CLASS FAC-G(57MM AND 40MM GUN)
18 X KERIS CLASS PATROL BOATS
24 X CB90H VERSION 2000 COMBAT BOATS
2 X SCORPENE CLASS SSK(ON ORDER-SM 39)
1 X AGOSTA 70B TRAINING(SM 39 MISSILES)
2 X MPCSS MAHAWANGSA CLASS COMMAND SUPPORT SHIPS
1 X NEWPORT CLASS LST
1 X FAJAR SAMUDERA TRANSPORT VESSEL
4 X MAHAMERU CLASS MCMV
20 X LIGHT SUPPORT VESSEL EG-LCP
12 X SUPER LYNX 300 ARMED WITH SEA SKUA
6 S AS 555N FENNEC
RMN HAS ABOUT 1000-2000 NAVAL ELITE FORCE -PASKAL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Squadron's Link

ROYAL MALAYSIAN AIR FORCE:
18 X SU 30MKM (DELIVERY 2006) (22) more on the works
15 X MIG 29N
2 X MIG 29NUB
8 X FA 18D (8) more on the works
10 X F5E (R)
3 X F5F(R)
2 X RF 5E TIGEREYE
16 X HAWK 208 (16) more on the works
7 X HAWK 108
30 X A4 PTM SKYHAWK (R)
17 X MB 339C (EX RNZAF TO BE PROCURE)
7 X MB 339AM
8 X PC 7 MK II
36 X PC 7
20 X MD3-160 AEROTIGA
8 X C130H-30
2 X C 130H
4 X KC 130H (2 ON CONVERSION)
8 X CN 235-220M (2 ORDER)
4 X B200T MPA
8 X CESSNA 402B
1 X GLOBAL EXPRESS
1 X REGIONAL JET VIP CRJ700
1 X FALCON 900B
1 X FOKKER F 28-1000 VIP
3 X EAGLE ARV LONG RANGE UAV
28 X SIKORSKY S61A4 ( 6 CSAR VERSION SOON)
2 X AS 61N1
1 X A109C

10 X MH-17 RUSSIAN HELI (DELIVERY SOON)
RMAF HAS APP 3 PROVOS/INFANTRY BATT-WITH 1 SOF BATT.
RMAF HAS PASKAU SPECIAL FORCE. MAIN MISSION TO TRIGGER LASER SIGNAL TO F-18 FROM TARGET SITE. F-18 TO DEPLOY THE PAVEWAY II BOMB BASED ON PASKAU SIGNAL.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tentera Darat (Armed Force)

MALAYSIAN ARMY
ACTIVE:100,000 MEN
ACTIVE RESERVE: 70,000 MEN(150,000 BY END 2005)
NATIONAL SERVICEMEN 2004: 400,000 6 MONTHS STINTS (non combat)
PARAMILITARY UNITS:25,000 POLICE FIELD FORCE (2,000 SOF)
HOMEGUARDS(RELA):350,000 ARMED WITH SHOTGUN/M16
26 STANDARD INFANTRY BATT,4 REGULAR LIGHT INFANTRY,3 AIRBORNE,3 MECHANISED,3 ARMOUR,16 ARTY (4 LLAD),3 SPECIAL FORCES REGIMENTS.(AIR ASSAULT BATT TO BE CREATED SOON)

ARMOUR:
62 X PT 91M(T72M1Z) MBT (TO BE DELIVERED+ ARV,AVLB)
25 X SCORPION 90
184 X SIBMAS 90 AFSV
211 X ADNAN AIFV (ARMED WITH 25MM BUSHMASTER)
111 X MIFV (MODERNISED KOREAN KIFV)
460 X RADPANZER CONDOR (SOME ARMED WITH 20MM)
25 X STORMER APC(SOME ARMED WITH 20MM)
70 X HARIMAU 2000 SCOUT CAR
80 X BV206 INCLUDING WITH ARTHUR RADAR
100 X GWAGON WEAPONS CARRIER- ATGW,AGL AND HMG

ARTY:
18 X KERIS (ASTROS II) 300MM MLRS (18 MORE SHOULD FOLLOW SOON)
28 X DENEL G5 MK 3 155 MM HOWITZER
15 X VSEL FH 70 155 MM HOWITZER
200 X OTO MELARA 105 MM PACK HOWITZER
300 X 81MM MORTAR
29 X OERLINKON 35 MM TWIN
24 X BOFORS 40 MM L/70

AIR DEFENCE MISSILES:
12 X JERNAS (ON ORDER)
500 X SHORTS STARBURST(MOST WITH LML LAUNCHERS)
500 X ANZA MK II
200 X SA 16 IGLA

ANTI TANK WEAPONS:
BHAKTAR SHIKAN (TOW LIKE ) ATGW
MILAN 2T ATGW
METIS -M ATGW
ERYX ATGW
BOFORS AT4
C90 RRB
CARL GUSTAV 84 MM
M 40 106MM RR

RADARS:
GIRAFFE AIR DEFENCE
SKYGUARD
ARTHUR ARTY LOCATING RADAR
ASELSAN ASKARAD GSR

2 TYPES OF TACTICAL BRIDGE MLC 90 FROM UK /FRANCE
11 X LOH AGUSTA HELI (PURCHASED) - FOR AIR ASSAULT BATT

POTENTIAL AND CONFIRMED WEAPONS TO BE PURCHASED
IN THE NEXT 2-5 YEARS.

24-36 X FA 18F/SU 30MKM (18 PROCURED-UPDATED)
10 X MH-17 RUSSIAN HELI
24 X ROOIVALK - ATTACK HELI
11 X LOH AGUSTA HELI (PURCHASED)
4 X SAAB ERIEYE AEW/C (SOON-AFTER LIMA 03)
24 X EH 101M
12 X HAWK 208
12 X MEDIUM RANGE SAM LIKE SA 11
60 X poland MBTs
ANOTHER 22 NGPV
MORE 155MM,MLRS ,TANKS.

mysterious

I dont know how Malaysia's airforce keeps so many different aircraft up and running. Even in the army and the navy, they have too much variety rather than concentrating on fewer variety and more of those less variety things and better up keep of them.

Roger Smith

mysterious said:
I dont know how Malaysia's airforce keeps so many different aircraft up and running. Even in the army and the navy, they have too much variety rather than concentrating on fewer variety and more of those less variety things and better up keep of them.
Malaysian Air Force consists mainly of Russian and American fighter planes. ;)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
mysterious said:
There are far too many different fixed wing combat elements in their IMHO.

Logistics would be a nightamre and some of those platforms have cross and sympathetic capabilities - making some of them redundant.

Paxter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It was more of a bad deal the F 18 was ment to be the main fighter aircraft but america didnt allow malaysia to place some items they wanted so they have gone russian

also the F 5 and the F 18 are going to be sold off

Paxter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
also bare in mind they are on a massive spending spree so all the old stuff are being sold off so in 5 years their main combat aircraft would be russian, their navy also is in the works of a massive make over. In short they got the cash and they are going to spend it and sell off what crap they got from the past

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Malaysia has not decided to get rid of the Hornets per se. They are committed to having a disparate combat fleet as they don't want to be exposed to vendor lockouts. Although they indicated a willingness to get rid of them, they were still leaving some options open.

They will keep both Russian and American (or whatever other combination is approp to split their purchasing vulnerabilities). That is a declared military and governmental purchasing policy.

In a hi-lo combat mix that is a useful strategy. If australia goes down a
hi-lo mix due to JSF delays then a split nationality purchase could be just as relevant for us. Although I suspect that if it (an interim purchase) does happen, then we would probably look at additional F/A-18's from Canada, or Switzerland.

The Swiss Hornets are already "lo'd" for ground attack and have titanium tubs. So they're a capable platform.

It's actually a smart move on the part of Malaysia. They made a political statement, kept their options open and kept some autonomy intact.
BUT, they have been having probs with their Russian aircraft, this was made clear to RAAF pilots on their last combined training exercises.

A

Aussie Digger

I was under the impression Malaysia had already announced that they would purchase 18 FA-18 E/F Super Hornets and return their current fleet of FA-18 C/D's to the US as part payment or is this just a stated intention? Su-30 MKM's and Fa-18 E/F's would provide a very capable air combat force...

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
I doubt that, though i kept the possibilities open. The Malaysian Government have almost exhausted the budgets for the RMAF in the SU-30 MKM. They cancelled the building of the new airbase just to cover the cost of the MKM. I personally, I think it is unwise for the time being to make another purchase of the new Aircrafts just yet. The money can be used to upgrade several assets already in the RMAF inventory. For example, the Migs can use the upgrades by replacing the old avionics with the new western made one, installing improve wings, additional hardpoints, larger tanks etc. RMAF already have a dual capability on the MKMs and can be commited largely for the long-range strike role while the improve migs can be use to fill the air superiority role.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
By the way, paxter. The RMN Laksamana class corvettes is not armed with Aspide SAM. It's Albatros, which is the Italian derivative for the SeaSparrow. The ship was originaly an Assad class vessel intended for the Iraqi Navy. But since they face the sanctions, we got it instead.

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
Despite the criticism that the RMAF has too much diversity in its fixed winged assets..I still think it is a very capable airforce on a whole.

All around nice hardware. However the armour flank seems to be lacking in numbers IMHO.

A

Aussie Digger

The RMAF must have a nightmarish logistical chain. So many different aircraft in such small numbers from so many different suppliers. You'd almost think that a large acquistion to replace several numerous combat fighter types would be cheaper and provide more capability than continuing to maintain such a diverse fleet, even over the short term... I've noticed Thailand operates a similarly diverse fleet like the RMAF, something like 11 different front line combat aircraft centered on 3 Squadrons of F-16's. You have to seriously wonder about the availability rates for some of the aircraft in these airforces. Cheers.

mysterious

Yeah majorly! I mean, how can you operate 2 of this, 4 of that, 8 of another. Sounds costly!! One should have less variety and more numbers I'd say! :smokingc:

CSS

Hi,

I agreed with most of the observation here saying that with such a variety of type and small number of RMAF assets really put the logistic side in real nightmare. :help

RMAF in a way able to sort the problems with MiG 29 fleet servicibility, but yes I also feels that we need a bigger number. This will really benefit RMAF in the long run term of servicing etc.

Anyway, Defense Services Asia 2004 will start on April 12 at Kuala Lumpur, so I just hope there might be something in the pipeline for RMAF. Any of the members might attend this exhibition?? :)

Regarding the Malaysian ORBAT for the Navy...RMN confirm for the order of 6 NGPV (2 already delivered and now in the process of sea trial and refitting). But the rest of the project (the balance of 21 vessel) still unconfirmed and it much depends of the quality of the first batches. :roll

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Any of the members might attend this exhibition??
Not me, I'll be in Germany, I'd rather be looking at military toys closer to home. ;)

What the RMAF needs to do is either try and build critical spares locally, or stock up in advance. My understanding is that the Russians still haven't discovered that the Kamban delivery system still requires product to arrive at the customers on time and when they need it. ;)

CSS

Not me, I'll be in Germany, I'd rather be looking at military toys closer to home.
Can't blame U, so many toys available there... :D

Can U explain me a bit when U mention Kamban delivery system?? Never heard such a word. :?

Thanks.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
CSS said:
Not me, I'll be in Germany, I'd rather be looking at military toys closer to home.
Can't blame U, so many toys available there... :D

Can U explain me a bit when U mention Kamban delivery system?? Never heard such a word. :?

Thanks.
Oops CSS, typo on my prev, it should have been "kanban"

It's a japanese developed system of delivery products slightly ahead of a requirement, so "just in time"

umair

Peace Enforcer
Yeah the good old JIT production and supply system gf.If RMAF can get it implemented correctly,their logistics situation will improve a lot.
Oh and all hail Toyota for coming up with JIT in the first place.It saves lots of logistic hassels.

CSS

Thanks guys, :)

Well I really don't know what kind of delivery system that RMAF practise, but if this so called kanban system is really a good one maybe they need to really look at it.

wzhtg

New copters to give forces more firepower

BY WONG CHUN WAI
MILAN: The Malaysian armed forces will have more firepower when it takes delivery of the 11 A109 light utility helicopters (LUH) equipped with machine guns and rocket launchers.

Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said the first of the Italian-made helicopters would be delivered in November next year.

“The remaining 10 would be delivered one each month after that,†he said after visiting the AgustaWestland helicopter plant in Vergiate, 40km from here.

AgustaWestland, the world’s leading helicopter maker, has signed up with DRM-Hicom Bhd’s Defence Technologies Sdn Bhd (Deftech) to set up an assembly plant in Kepala Batas.

MORE BITE: Najib being accompanied by Agusta CEO Amedeo Caporaletti (on Najib's left) during his visit to the company's plant in Vergiate, Italy. - Bernamapic
Describing the 10-minute ride on the A109 LUH yesterday as “enjoyable,†Najib said the helicopters would be used for reconnaissance, aerial support and to suppress enemies.

The A109 is the best light twin military helicopter with South Africa and Sweden as the other two buyers.

Among others, Najib, who is also the Defence Minister, said the highly manoeuvrable A109 had the capability to make vertical loops, fly in bad weather, fly at night and reach a maximum cruising speed of 165knots.

Agusta has delivered to the Malaysian navy five of the six Super Lynx 300 MK 100 helicopters it bought for RM678mil and to the Malaysian Fire and Rescue Department two A109 Power helicopters.

During last year’s Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace exhibition, the Government announced it was buying 11 A109M helicopters from Agusta for RM286.3mil.

Yesterday, Najib said the Maritime Enforcement Agency would be operational next year and would also need to be equipped. He said the agency, which would function like the US Coast Guard, would need helicopters with search and rescue capabilities.

He said no decision had been made on the kind of model which the agency would require.

The agency would take over the enforcement of federal laws governing the sea including those on terrorism, piracy, pollution and illegal immigrants.

Najib, who is here on a six-day working visit, will visit Rome tomorrow to observe how the Italian coast guard operates.

DRM-Hicom chairman Tan Sri Salleh Sulong, who accompanied Najib, said his corporation would set up a regional after sales and maintenance centre and assembly plant in Kepala Batas.

He said that for a start, it would be responsible for the maintenance of the Agusta helicopters in Malaysia.