Make a Chatroom/place to chat

attackistan

AsalaamAlaikum,

We should have a place to chat. Either DT should have a chat page such as phpMychat or j-pilot so we can talk via irc, or an AIM chatroom.

Anyone agree? :smokingc:

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
We use to have a chatroom but then it was deleted due to some technical mishaps. Newer chatsysm that would work with current user database is underway and soon it will be introduced.

Thanks

Winter

DefenceTalk hasn't garnered a large enough audience (yet) for a chatroom to be feasible...The users would be diluted through the forum, which has few active (comparatively) participants anyway...Then throw in time zones...Still wouldn't mind one though...

God knows how many people are signing up per day without participating in the forum.

:roll

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Chatroom idea is a good one and we had this before but since we want members to participate in the forum more often and regularly - this feature won't be introduced anytime soon. Maybe, its already there but not being made public, yet.

Alots of people are registering and that is good. And a lot of members are posting too these days. Slowly this will increase and change as the site becomes known and popular. :)

suleman

Webby and guys i have some different opinion about chat room.Plzz correct me if i am wrong.But i have an idea and thought to share with u guys.
Chat room is a good idea but the purpose of forum will be lost due to chat room.Chat room will decrease the number of posts in this forum dramatically.As members will discuss things more in chat rooms rather then in forum and these posts are our real assets.Any one can see discussions when ever he come but in chat room its lost.But certinly will increase interaction between the users.
So what u guys say.

srirangan

Banned Member
WebMaster,
I have in the past integrated an Java IRC client with a phpBB database. For the non-tech guys it means a full featured chatroom without causing any bandwidth load on this server. Interested?

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Sure. Which client are you talking about? :smokingc:

We've had chat room before but it was based on php called phpbbchat or something. I didn't like it so its history now. :D

srirangan

Banned Member
Hi

I put together a basic example for you. Here it log's in to the defencetalk channel by default using a random nickname; the ncik can be configured to match the user's nick from the phpbb forum database via some smart PHP coding.

http://srirangan.net/deftalk-chat/

The chat applet doesn't have any database support and is based on the IRC network. Lemme know if you are interested in implementation and customization .. :)

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
It didn't work for me. The applet loaded fine but after that I couldn't do much... idea of having a chat room sounds good but we won't be implementing it any time soon as it will drive people to the chat room rather than the forums or gallery. ;)

srirangan

Banned Member
You have to wait after the applet loads; it'll log on to an IRC server and auto-join a channel named #defencetalk. TIP: It cannot not work :) sometimes it may take a while to join the channel depenging on your internet connection.