M777a1 Howitzer

Artyengineer

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
If anyone is interested in this Howitzer I am the man to ask.;)

Below is a link to a Tech Drawing of the Howitzer in Firing Position:

In summary this is the Howitzer which is coming into service with the USMC at the moment, and is currently actively deplyed to Afghanistan with the Canadian Military. Fielding to US Army Units will commence this year.

Within the US it is envisioned that this Howitzer will eventually replace all M198 Howitzers currently in service with the Army and Marines.

By extensive use of Titanium castings this howitzer has a production weight of 9,300lbs for the basic version and 9,800lbs for the A1 version (With Digital Fire Control). The M198 in comparrison weighs 16,700lbs.

Any and all questions regarding this howitzer are welcome.

Arty

Last edited by a moderator:

Whiskyjack

Honorary Moderator / Defense Professional / Analys
Verified Defense Pro
Thanks for that. One question I have. Is the M777 due to be fielded by the UK any time soon?

I seem to remember that the UK was planning on a buy.

Artyengineer

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Whiskyjack said:
Thanks for that. One question I have. Is the M777 due to be fielded by the UK any time soon?

I seem to remember that the UK was planning on a buy.
The latest info I have is that the UK still has a requirement for 32 systems under the LIMAWS (G) Program. Link below to the M777/Supacat Portee combination

http://www.baesystems.com/newsroom/2005/sep/130905news187.htm

Early last year there was quite an extensive "Shootoff" between the system linked above and GIAT's CAESER system.

At the moment the MoD are still "Deliberating" with a decision expected within the next few months with regards to the chosen system.

The unofficial word is that the M777 outperformed the CAESER in several key areas.

Several High Ranking MoD and Brit Army types have recently visited the M777 integration facility in the US, so make of that what you will. ;)

Whiskyjack

Honorary Moderator / Defense Professional / Analys
Verified Defense Pro
Artyengineer said:
The latest info I have is that the UK still has a requirement for 32 systems under the LIMAWS (G) Program. Link below to the M777/Supacat Portee combination

http://www.baesystems.com/newsroom/2005/sep/130905news187.htm

Early last year there was quite an extensive "Shootoff" between the system linked above and GIAT's CAESER system.

At the moment the MoD are still "Deliberating" with a decision expected within the next few months with regards to the chosen system.

The unofficial word is that the M777 outperformed the CAESER in several key areas.

Several High Ranking MoD and Brit Army types have recently visited the M777 integration facility in the US, so make of that what you will. ;)
Innovative system for moving towed systems fast. Do you have any info on the HMT Supacat series, I have looked on the Supacat site and the US manufacturer, but no spec for it at all (that I have found).

Artyengineer

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Reply to Whiskyjack

Here is the only pic I have which shows the loading/unloading mechanism for this system

And even this isnt that good.

I have a lot of data on the Supacat HMT, unfortunately it is all marked "For Offficial Use Only" or "Propriety Data", so unfortunately i cant share:(

Gollevainen

the corporal
Verified Defense Pro
Well thanks arty for making the thread for my behalf...ready?

...Here we go, some of these questions can be sound little "noob", but it just for curiosity and for comparing it to my own expereince. Also some might be more related to US artillery practise in general...

1. The main phases of asemple and disasemple? How fast it's done? How many mens are recuired? Is there a hydraulic pump to lift the gun in any direction?

2. The howitser seems to field an additional elevation wheel in the right side of the gun when looking it form the users wiew...what is the purpose of it? I've heard that unlike the finnish/soviet style, the gunleader uses one of the traverse/elevation (i don't remember which) when in the soviet style, aimer uses solely the both.

3. Are the sighting and aiming systems solely optical? Is there any electronics onboard?

4. When the howitser is assempled in the fire position, is the location of the gun determed by separetly of each gun (with GBS example) or like with we did in D-30 where the ordinates where brought to the basicpoint of each sections (three guns) from some know location and the guns calibred to same direction?

5. What is the additional equipment aside the actual gun in the guncrew? How many communication devices? The ammount of engineering equipments (shovels, axes, saws ect.) Tents and mobile stoves?

6. What is the additional equipment of each firesections, like heavy machineguns or MANPADS? (I assume US artillery battery is divided roughly similar as the soviet one, with two firesection (platoons) and one HQ section)

7. What is the basic transportation method of the gun? Is it solely airtransport or do the truck hauling still come as the main way of transportation? If it is, is the truckdriver supposed to act as part of the guncrew as a ammunition man?

Well I think thats enough for starters....also in return if you (or any other member) have questions concerning D-30 or 155K98, i'm willing to anwser...:cool:

SmokeWP

" Working-end plug "

Arty, Is there a plug for the muzzle brake end of barrel? None of the M777 videos show a crew member removing it from the working-end of the barrel.

retiredyank

M777 Scale Replica

I'm planning on making a master model of the M777, but need some measurements of the gun. Specifically, I would like to know the barrel length and outside diameter. Any other measurements would be greatly appreciated. You can respond here, or email them to me at "[email protected]". Thank you.