M1A3 Abrams Upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Why is using a ATGM on an infantryman a warcrime? Everyone seems to be RPGs for the same purpose.
Targetting individuals with explosive weapons is against the laws of war.

As I understand it Hezbollah was using ATGMs as an effective, though expensive, long range sniping weapon. Definitely overkill, certainly not cost effective, but understandable if they were short on trained personnel.
In order to claim either way on cost effectiveness one needs to know the cost of a human life? Also what is the cost of winning or losing? Also who paid for the Hezbollah ATGMs? This is only the tip of the list of why bringing up cost effeciveness in this context is so completely wrong.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Most definitely, the only real example off the top of my head is a skirmish by the Scots Dragoon Guards in Iraq in '03 where a troop of CR2 engaged and destroyed a fixed Iraqi position including export T-72 & T-55.
Was that the engagement that started with a single Challenger cresting a dune and running into a dug in company of T-72's? The story I was told had the driver chucking it into reverse as the turret crew ran their drills, almost on auto pilot, engaging and destroying tank after tank as they withdraw to a better position. During the action they heard ricochets off their turret thinking themselves lucky the Iraqis had only managed to bring HMGs to bear only to discover deep gouges in their armour from deflected 125mm SABOT rounds post action.

I have never been able to find a written account to confirm this story although I did hear it from the same source who told me about “Bravo Two Zero” and also “the Battle of 73 Easting” well before they were general public knowledge so two proven stories vs one unconfirmed…….

STURM

Why is using a ATGM on an infantryman a warcrime? Everyone seems to be RPGs for the same purpose.
Two questions come to mind here.

1. From the onset, does anyone know if using RPGs for the anti-personnel role was ever part of Soviet doctrine - or was it something that came about through necessity and desperation, in various bush wars fought around the world?

2. Would using unguided rockets and 20mm/30mm shells for the anti-personnel role, also constitute a war crime?

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
No it's not. Not even close.
Mmmm.... valid point, it would effectively outlaw the use of HE against infantry when in actual fact HE rounds have been specifically depolyed / developed to give armoured vehicles an anti infantry capability.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was that the engagement that started with a single Challenger cresting a dune and running into a dug in company of T-72's? The story I was told had the driver chucking it into reverse as the turret crew ran their drills, almost on auto pilot, engaging and destroying tank after tank as they withdraw to a better position. During the action they heard ricochets off their turret thinking themselves lucky the Iraqis had only managed to bring HMGs to bear only to discover deep gouges in their armour from deflected 125mm SABOT rounds post action.

I have never been able to find a written account to confirm this story although I did hear it from the same source who told me about “Bravo Two Zero” and also “the Battle of 73 Easting” well before they were general public knowledge so two proven stories vs one unconfirmed…….
This one was a troop of CR2 during "Operation Panzer" which was an op to reach a cut off unit of 40 Commando and was actually fought while 'galloping' (is the word they use) down a road.

I've just done a brief google and can't find anything about it though.

Two questions come to mind here.

2. Would using unguided rockets and 20mm/30mm shells for the anti-personnel role, also constitute a war crime?
Doubt it, due to the high emphasis put on ROI currently in Afghan - as i'm sure you know - that anything remotely close to a warcrime would be 'shot down' instantly. Otherwise UK Apache crews have been committing warcrimes almost on a daily basis with those rockets, personally the flechette rockets seem worse than the HEISAP or however it's spelt rockets.

Mmmm.... valid point, it would effectively outlaw the use of HE against infantry when in actual fact HE rounds have been specifically depolyed / developed to give armoured vehicles an anti infantry capability.
Definitely, e.g for the CR2 it's APFSDS for heavy amour and HESH for lightly armoured + soft targets but that's not always the case. In a case in a book i'm reading (Main Battle Tank - Niall Edworthy) a crew has a 'FIN' up the barrel and they're forced to use it against an enemy soldier, the description is mortifying.

Raven22

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Plus 84mm HEDP, 66s, 40mm gold tops, hand grenades, claymores, air delivered rockets and bombs, Excalibur rounds etc. Its a long list.

If using HE against individual personnel was a warcrime, there'd be a lot of Australian soldiers lined up in the Hague.

HE rocks.

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I'm wrong because I recently read an old interpretation that has since been updated. There has never been a law against using explosive weapons against people but there was against an individual. That is firing an explosive round right into someone by directly targeting their body. Because it was very impractical and the intent was to outlaw explosive bullets the laws of war now recognise a limit on explosive rounds at 400 grams. And all rounds (except burning agents by jurisdictions) can be fired at anyone.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Might be some confusion or conflation of the Hague conventional weapons which does provide for restrictions about the use of "explosive" bullets - originally referring to bullets designed to deform, and the area effect use of explosive weapons.

Certainly UK forces were lobbing ATGM's at trench positions in the Falklands Islands and it was common place in both Gulf wars.

It may well be that picking on a single individual and using cannon or ATGM's in that way could be technically illegal but certainly area effects aren't in dispute as far as I understand it,

Ian

<Edit: started composing that while Abe was writing!>

Last edited:

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Definitely, e.g for the CR2 it's APFSDS for heavy amour and HESH for lightly armoured + soft targets but that's not always the case. In a case in a book i'm reading (Main Battle Tank - Niall Edworthy) a crew has a 'FIN' up the barrel and they're forced to use it against an enemy soldier, the description is mortifying.
Read a book on the Royal Scots in Granby, they were supported by a Sqn of Challengers from the Life Guards. One of the Annexes lists enemy casaulties, the weapon that killed them and the effect the weapon had on them, one was hit in the torso by a 120mm round (I can't recall which type) the resulting wound was "torso not found", or to that effect.

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Most definitely, the only real example off the top of my head is a skirmish by the Scots Dragoon Guards in Iraq in '03 where a troop of CR2 engaged and destroyed a fixed Iraqi position including export T-72 & T-55.

The author of the book goes on to talk about that the Iraqis were totally outmatched in terms of the rate of fire the troop was putting down on them despite the fact that CR2 uses multiple piece ammunition (I believe) and manual loading because of the training the loaders get.
Rate of fire can also be an issue of target acquisition and engagement. So the half trained Iraqi gunner using an analogue system from the 1960s is going to take a lot longer to get the gun onto the target.

Also the issue of loading cycle depends a lot on the actual tank system. Soviet style carousels are very different to the continuous chain type system proposed for the M1A3 upgrade. Plus of course the autoloader sustains its rate of fire while the tank is moving at full speed over rough terrain. The human loader is not going to be reloading so quickly when the tank is on the move.

Replacing the loader with an autoloader means
Not planned for the M1A3 which will remain a four crew tank.

Explosive charges have to be stored in the turret meaning a penetrating hit on the turret would cause an ammunition cook off and could destroy the tank and obliviate the crew requiring turrets to be uparmoured to deal with this. The CR2 for example keeps all it's explosive charges in the hull of the tank and the Leo II and Abrams use separate compartments with blow out panels.
Before they realised how much it was going to cost and how little money they had the Brits were planning on rebuilding the CR2 with fixed ammunition. It was a key reason in the Australian Army ruling out the CR2 for LAND907. Because the available tank configuration and ammunition didn’t (in 2004/05) appear to have a future).

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I'm wrong because I recently read an old interpretation that has since been updated. There has never been a law against using explosive weapons against people but there was against an individual. That is firing an explosive round right into someone by directly targeting their body. Because it was very impractical and the intent was to outlaw explosive bullets the laws of war now recognise a limit on explosive rounds at 400 grams. And all rounds (except burning agents by jurisdictions) can be fired at anyone.
Yee gads Abe you are human after all. I'll let you off on the basis I regularly make a total goose out of myself through, misreading, misinterpreting, misremembering, making unfounded assumptions and being in general ignorant, leaving you in comparison, pure as the driven snow. :D

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Rate of fire can also be an issue of target acquisition and engagement. So the half trained Iraqi gunner using an analogue system from the 1960s is going to take a lot longer to get the gun onto the target.

Also the issue of loading cycle depends a lot on the actual tank system. Soviet style carousels are very different to the continuous chain type system proposed for the M1A3 upgrade. Plus of course the autoloader sustains its rate of fire while the tank is moving at full speed over rough terrain. The human loader is not going to be reloading so quickly when the tank is on the move.

Another advantage that could be realised with an autoloader update to a western tank is, assuming it doesn't infringe upon turret space, it could free up a crewman to operate postulated ISR and defencive systems that such an upgraded vehicle could be expected to be fitted with.

Raven22

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Read a book on the Royal Scots in Granby, they were supported by a Sqn of Challengers from the Life Guards. One of the Annexes lists enemy casaulties, the weapon that killed them and the effect the weapon had on them, one was hit in the torso by a 120mm round (I can't recall which type) the resulting wound was "torso not found", or to that effect.
The Australian gun det in Helmand had a few stories like this with the 105s. There was one example where they had the gun laid on a door they knew an insurgent was in, he appeared, they pulled the tit, and the round hit the dude direct. They never found him.

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Doubt it, due to the high emphasis put on ROI currently in Afghan - as i'm sure you know - that anything remotely close to a warcrime would be 'shot down' instantly. Otherwise UK Apache crews have been committing warcrimes almost on a daily basis with those rockets, personally the flechette rockets seem worse than the HEISAP or however it's spelt rockets.
30mm gun on an Apache is an area fire weapon. It isn’t accurate enough to put a cross hairs on someone and have the bullet follow right on and hit. Now Apache gunners may target individuals when they fire a burst but the rounds are going to land around the target and any that hit directly are just statistical chance. Plus of course the laws of war only apply by most jurisdictions to wars between legitimate combatants. Since the Taliban aren’t following the laws of war you don’t have to treat them as POWs and not use explosive bullets, etc. If you were to use a 30x113mm sniper rifle against another army you’d be committing a warcrime.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
30mm gun on an Apache is an area fire weapon. It isn’t accurate enough to put a cross hairs on someone and have the bullet follow right on and hit. Now Apache gunners may target individuals when they fire a burst but the rounds are going to land around the target and any that hit directly are just statistical chance. Plus of course the laws of war only apply by most jurisdictions to wars between legitimate combatants. Since the Taliban aren’t following the laws of war you don’t have to treat them as POWs and not use explosive bullets, etc. If you were to use a 30x113mm sniper rifle against another army you’d be committing a warcrime.
Wasn't there a multi-barrel pre-machinegun design that had the option of firing square section bullets for use on "infidels"? On the sniper rifle bit are militaries still restriced to using FMJ ammo against human targets?

Damian90

AFAIK Meggitt compact autoloader and FASTDRAW autoloader concept permitted to still have 4th crewmember.

Besides this IMHO there should be considered to redesign a bit turret ammunition storage. It does not mean to have autoloader, but placing there a chain ammo rack like in Meggitt solution, with a solid bulkhead and small ammunition port for loader, would increase survivability, it would also eliminate need to reload ready rack from semi-ready rack, and whole 34 rounds would be avaiable for immediate use.

I must say that idea is partially inspired by Merkava Mk4 turret ammo storage with two ammo drums behind a solid bulkhead with small ammunition port.

Such design would be good improvement in my opinion. Of course besides main electrical rotation mechanism for chain rack, there would be simple manual backup.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was commenting more on the Apache's CRV-7 rockets as STURM directly asked about them really because we were talking about HE weapons in general :)

But what you say applies to them too that they're more (flechettes especially) area attack weapons rather than targetting individuals.

What're the laws concering engaging infantry with armour piercing incendiary rounds? Are there barriers in place or is it fair game?

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member

Very true, no matter what anyone says about autoloaders the key is consistency in loading rate.

In that particular engagement the CR2 were speeding down a road + the Iraqi vehicles were in a static defence line, i suppose when shells start crashing around you + you haven't had the proper training the performance drop could be huge.

I know :) just thought i'd have a crack at nipping the issue in the bud.

Before they realised how much it was going to cost and how little money they had the Brits were planning on rebuilding the CR2 with fixed ammunition. It was a key reason in the Australian Army ruling out the CR2 for LAND907. Because the available tank configuration and ammunition didn’t (in 2004/05) appear to have a future).
As far as rifled ammunition goes, personally I reckon the CR2 is the end of the line. IIRC they had a crack at installing a smoothbore L55 in a CR2 and did a study to see if it was financially worthwhile changing to it. Turns out they could only store ~6 single piece ammunition in the tank so without a fairly substantial redesign of the turret it wouldn't be worthwhile as the costs of doing so would negate any potential savings in smoothbore ammo.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
As far as rifled ammunition goes, personally I reckon the CR2 is the end of the line. IIRC they had a crack at installing a smoothbore L55 in a CR2 and did a study to see if it was financially worthwhile changing to it. Turns out they could only store ~6 single piece ammunition in the tank so without a fairly substantial redesign of the turret it wouldn't be worthwhile as the costs of doing so would negate any potential savings in smoothbore ammo.
I've seen it kicked around the block a few times and the opinion appears to be that for the size of tank fleet we're running it'd be cheaper to buy some second hand Leo2's.

Hard one to call, it's either that, put the resources into new ammo for the existing gun, re-gun it or buy a new fleet. All of those options are just really expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.