logistics ratio

KC.B

Does anyone have a generic approximate ratio of combat ships to support vessels number, if there is such a thing?

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Does anyone have a generic approximate ratio of combat ships to support vessels number, if there is such a thing?
I doubt that there really would be such a number, due to the wide range of variables which would be involved.

Take Singapore as an example, the RSN currently operates ~20 vessels ranging from frigates, to corvettes and gun-armed patrol vessels, all with displacements > 1,200 tonnes, yet the RSN does not operate an AO or AOR.

OTOH the RNZN has an AOR while only operating six other vessels with displacements greater than 1,200 tonnes.

Much of the need would be dictated by the logistical demands of the vessels being supported, with essentially the remainder dictated by what logistical support is (or is not) available in the vessel's or navy's area of operations.

With various navies operating different vessels and operating in different deployment configurations (individual vessels vs. a TF of various sizes) and to different areas around the world... there is no real one-size fits all definition.

KC.B

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I doubt that there really would be such a number, due to the wide range of variables which would be involved.

Take Singapore as an example, the RSN currently operates ~20 vessels ranging from frigates, to corvettes and gun-armed patrol vessels, all with displacements > 1,200 tonnes, yet the RSN does not operate an AO or AOR.

OTOH the RNZN has an AOR while only operating six other vessels with displacements greater than 1,200 tonnes.

Much of the need would be dictated by the logistical demands of the vessels being supported, with essentially the remainder dictated by what logistical support is (or is not) available in the vessel's or navy's area of operations.

With various navies operating different vessels and operating in different deployment configurations (individual vessels vs. a TF of various sizes) and to different areas around the world... there is no real one-size fits all definition.
Roger that, thanks. pretty much what I suspected.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
There are such numbers, although they depend on the Navy and the specific LoA, to which either side would be sized.

A commonly-held number is around four to five frigate/destroyer-sized ships per multi-product AOR if intending to operate a taskforce beyond their local waters.