List of Abbreviations

Falstaff

Dear webs and mods,

I have to confess I sometimes have a little problem with all the abbr. :))) used in the forum.
Perhaps you could offer a list of the most common so we (especially those who like me aren't native english speakers and new members) can look them up?

Thanks in advance

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
Dear webs and mods,

I have to confess I sometimes have a little problem with all the abbr. :))) used in the forum.
Perhaps you could offer a list of the most common so we (especially those who like me aren't native english speakers and new members) can look them up?

Thanks in advance
I am a native English speaker but I also had real trouble with some of these when I first joined. Some of the commonly used ones that stumped me were:

AFAIK - As far as I know
IIRC - If I recall (or remember) correctly
IMO - In my opinion
IMHO - In my humble opinion

There are probably others that I'm still trying to work out. The trouble is that after a while I've found myself using them regularly. It must create a bit of a problem for new posters.

Cheers

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Do you mean military ones or the usual net slang?

I also have sometimes problems with abbreviations, especially when it comes to special terms of avation themes.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I think finding the usual net slang is not that hard by using your google-fu. :)

But you are right that the military ones sometimes tend to be difficult for non native speakers.

A pinned and updated thread would be a good idea.

Systems Adict

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I've done a quick search on t'internet.

At work I use TLA & FLA's (Three & Four letter Acronyms), as part of day to day conversation.

I have a preferred site that I use, but can't remember the address, however below I've listed one site that gives a pretty robust dictionary / list, the other is a link to a batch of sites that list T & FLA's used by different counties & services

http://www.ulib.iupui.edu/subjectareas/gov/military.html

http://www.dtmedia.co.uk/a.htm

The only caution I can give you is that some TLA's obviously mean different things to different parts of the planet or branches of the military service.

If in doubt, ask. It can save some confusion.

Hope this helps.

Systems Adict