Link-16

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Sorry to say this pals but the thread ended into M1A2 discussion :eek:fftopic
No - someone asked a question for clarification and it more than likely would of been kept at that considering who it came from, but I will agree that further questions inregards to M1A2 SEP should be taken to that thread. Sorry

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry for the derail, I realize it was a tangent. In the future I'll try to aviod derailing threads.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Nevertheless my question reamins wether an M1A1AIM can get data from Link-16 sources via the IVIS network.
If I get it right there are big problems when for example a M1A1AIMv1, an AIMv2, an A2 or an A2SEP want to talk to each other.

These problems jsut make me wonder if it realy is that easy to get a connection between sea and air units using Link-16 and ground units using IVIS?

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Nevertheless my question reamins wether an M1A1AIM can get data from Link-16 sources via the IVIS network.
If I get it right there are big problems when for example a M1A1AIMv1, an AIMv2, an A2 or an A2SEP want to talk to each other.

These problems jsut make me wonder if it realy is that easy to get a connection between sea and air units using Link-16 and ground units using IVIS?
As stated by gf0012-aust the capability is most certainly there between all different M1 models, most likely at a minimum command tanks and plt leaders would have this capability, as far as exact specifics due to the potential sensitive information matter I can go no further.:)

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
No problem, security first. :)

The problems between different Abrams just confused me, especially when one wants to integrate data from a different network.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
No problem, security first. :)

The problems between different Abrams just confused me, especially when one wants to integrate data from a different network.
and not to be too unkind - the problems that might exist between types for the US is "non-existent" for australia.

ie we "only" have to be concerned about one class of digitised armmoured asset communicating with other Link-16 fitted assets such as air and sea (eg Tigers and Hornets/SuperHornets)

sierrahotel

Is there a program for an airborne ground surveillance radar(Like J-STARS) in RAAF?It is essential, if you want to integrate all these assets (F-18,Tgers,MBTs)into a land warfare Link-16 network.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Is there a program for an airborne ground surveillance radar(Like J-STARS) in RAAF?It is essential, if you want to integrate all these assets (F-18,Tgers,MBTs)into a land warfare Link-16 network.

the view always has been that the australian specced abrams would be able to call in comms co-operative assets in the Link-16 space.

There are a number of ways to do this,but AFAIK one of the critical ones is not in the PD

JohanGrön

In fact the L-16 bandwidth is barely over 50Kbps,but it is enough for the data transmission.On the other hand raw information (in digital form e.g. sensor plots) need less transmission speed depending on the protocol used.The Swedish AEW platform (Erieye) transmits raw sensors feeds to the ground stations using a simple medium speed protocol.
Gripen:s can also transmit raw sensor feeds over the data-link network among themselves and to ground stations (four simultaneous sending, infinite number of recievers).

Last edited:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Link 16 is a military inter-computer data exchange format of NATO, the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation.
With Link 16, military aircraft as well as ships and ground forces may exchange their tactical picture in near real time.
It's more than a comms connect for NATO, I can think of 3 other nations who are non NATO and use it.

In fact, those three are also getting the complimentary comms package to Link 16 - and not all NATO countries will have access to that suite.

rik

link 16 aircrew training

Hi.

My company released a aircrew link 16 trainer, that might be of your interest.

search for "Arenalogic link 16 part task trainer" on google

Hey all,

I'm new to the Defense industry and actually recently started my first job at LM working for the Po-sheng Program which is a command and control program for taiwan national defense. I'm performing a subcontracts role for the program and am slowly learning about the technologies used. Could anyone help me get up to speed and tell me a little more about link-16. Because i'm new i really haven't put two and two together but woudl be happy to share any info your interested in.