Land 400

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Hi guys, just found some news on the CRV portion of Land 400 going about the media. Via Janes and PopSci, I took a look around and didn't see it posted here, but sorry if a repost.

I don't know if I can post links or not, so I will just post the portion given from Janes:

The PopSci article states much the same. Both light on details, but interesting nonetheless.

And just a question in general regarding Land 400. Is there any push for some kind of amphibious vehicle capability for 2RAR? In various training exercises Australian infantry are seen carrying out amphib operations with US Marines and their AAV's. I was just wondering if there is any hint at this capability or is it not going to happen?

Lots of people agree it would be a good idea, but there is nothing formal seen as yet...

2RAR will just get very familiar with LCM-1E's I expect...

PeterM

My understanding is that the CRV component of LAND400 is the only part that is due for first pass approval in the current financial year.

From what I can tell, there is quite a lot up in the air at the moment such as the level of Australian industry involvement with either the build or support. Obviously both the SA and VIC governments will each be pushing their cases for local industry involvement.

The are the operational requirements that may be needed such as amphibious capability or not.

One option I am curious about is whether we would consider refurbished Bradleys, much like we did with Abrams. My understanding is that an up-armoured Bradley passed US testing against IED style devices. This seems to be a low cost option and leverages the existing US supply chains. Presumably there could also be an option to upgrade them to the CT40 40mm if that was a requirement, that is what the UK are using as part of their Warrior mid life upgrades