kirov class battle cruiser

John Sansom

No problem, Feanor. Again, my interest pro tem is in discovering which government members in Moscow are putting themselves out to explore and discuss the matter. What are they saying to each other? Who is pushing for what...and why? All of these threads are an education for me. I'm a new boy within this context, and I really appreciate the various in-puts...but I seem to have developed my thinking processes in a culture which encourages the identification and dissection of motives and possible outcomes. Of course, that doesn't mean I shouldn't be stepped on now and then. Anyway, thanks again to all. I'm reading and learning... again, after so many years.

The main Russian surface fleet project for the next decade will be Project 22350 Admiral Gorshkov.

Specifications
4500t
4000nm range @ 16kt
29kt top speed
30 day endurance
crew of 210

Armament
2*8 Yakhont
4*8 9M96 missiles (The is 9M96 one of the missiles the S-400 system uses.)
2*4 Medvedka 2 VLS ASW
2 Sosna CIAD
130mm A-192

Command and Control
Redut AA Suite

Sensors
Poliment K-Radar
Puma Fire Control Radar

The VLS Shtil-1 will be offered to export customers only. Their is no concrete information about the command and control and sensors of Admiral Gorshkov.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
How so? The Admiral Gorshkov is a VTOL TAKR. It's of an obsolete design, and the last one of it's class. It's being sold off to India after a heavy refit into a regular light carrier. The Russian Navy will have to make due with modernized Kirovs and the Kuznetsov for it's major surface ships for the next decade.

Gollevainen

the corporal
Verified Defense Pro
You do know Feanor that the new Admiral Gorshkov class is a frigate/SRK design and that above data is corresponding to it and not to the old Admiral Gorshkov which was the last of the Kiev class...

nevidimka

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Btw, what is the upgrades for the second Kirov class cruiser if anybody knows? and what is the status of the 3rd Kirov class?

And is there a video of the Kirov class in the internet? All I can find are stills of it docked in port, that's all. Its so secretive, not even a video is available?

nevidimka

Hey, thanks for the video.

But then again, for the huge ship that it is, there's nothing more than a 33 sec video on it? I searched youtube b4 but i dint find any.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
You do know Feanor that the new Admiral Gorshkov class is a frigate/SRK design and that above data is corresponding to it and not to the old Admiral Gorshkov which was the last of the Kiev class...
Whoops. Wrong Gorshkov :( The third cruiser is in retirement. Essentially if funds become available it will be back, otherwise it's done.

Firehorse

Banned Member
Basicaly, it says that "Admiral Nachimov will not be scrapped, and will return to active duty with the Northern Fleet. New electronics and computers will be installed, and Granit missile complex launchers will be replaced by a newer type (not specified). Sevmash also plans to overhaul Petr Veliky and Adm. Kuznetsov in due time."

dave_kiwi

Verified Defense Pro
Pyotr Velikiy to Deploy ....

From RIA Novosti ....

"In line with the 2008 training program and in order to expand military cooperation with foreign navies Russia will send in November a naval task force from the Northern Fleet, comprising nuclear-powered missile cruiser Pyotr Velikiy and support ships, to the Atlantic Ocean," Capt. 1st Rank Igor Dygalo said.

During the tour of duty, the Russian warships will participate in joint naval exercises with the Venezuelan navy
Link: http://en.rian.ru/russia/20080908/116618851.html

if this indeed goes ahead - it should be a good opportunity for some "up close" photos. Obviously the Russians have some confidence in the "repair" <sic> work carried out.

nevidimka

Yeah, i just read in the news. the Kirov is heading to Venezuela for a naval exercise with the Venezuelan Navy. I think its like an answer to Nato having warships in Russian backyard, so the russians are moving its ships to US backyard.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Yeah, i just read in the news. the Kirov is heading to Venezuela for a naval exercise with the Venezuelan Navy. I think its like an answer to Nato having warships in Russian backyard, so the russians are moving its ships to US backyard.
I don't think the US military particularly cares, yes they will keep an eye on things and have intelligence assets around but no one is worried.

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2008/09/navy_veneuela_russia_090808w/

Russian naval visit doesn’t bother DoD

Staff and wire reports
Posted : Tuesday Sep 9, 2008 7:11:21 EDT

The Defense Department seemed unaffected Monday by an announcement from Venezuela and Russia that Russian warships would sail to the Caribbean this winter for exercises with the Venezuelan fleet — the first-ever such move by the Russian navy.

Pentagon officials did not express particular concern over the announcement from Caracas. “We’re aware of the announcement made in Venezuela,” said Navy Cmdr. J.D. Gordon, a Pentagon spokesman, “and we’ll see how it goes.”

Russia’s Foreign Ministry said Monday that the Kirov-class battle cruiser Peter the Great, one of the world’s largest surface warships, would lead three other warships and a flight of anti-submarine aircraft on the visit by November or December.

The group will likely also include support vessels and at least one fleet tug, as was the case when the carrier Admiral Kuznetsov led a Russian surface deployment in the Mediterranean last year. Most of the ships in the Russian surface fleet are from the Soviet era.

One defense official acknowledged that the prospect of the Russian navy operating in the Western Hemisphere “is a little Cold War-retro,” adding, “the Russians have been making overtures not only to Venezuela but other countries in the region.”

A Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman said Monday that his country and Venezuela decided to stage the naval exercises before Russia’s war this summer with Georgia. But a week before the announcement, Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said his nation would respond to the presence of what he called NATO “battleships” in the Black Sea — including the U.S. destroyer McFaul, the command ship Mount Whitney and the Coast Guard cutter Dallas — which have been delivering humanitarian aid to Georgia.

Putin and Russian military commanders have spoken aggressively about the NATO surface group, which has entered what they consider their sphere of influence. In late August, Russian Adm. Eduard Baltin told a state news agency the European and U.S. ships were “not battle-worthy” and that Russia’s Black Sea Fleet could sink the NATO group “in 20 minutes.”

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, who has become close to Russia after major purchases of military hardware, also spoke aggressively when he announced the planned Russian visit, anticipating that U.S. officials would be upset.

“Go ahead and squeal, Yankees,” he said in a national broadcast Sunday.
A fleet tug? They must not have much confidence in their ships. :p:
Peter the Great is the ship that back in 2004, an Admiral in the Russian Navy said it could "explode at any moment", which is pretty scary for a nuclear powered warship. Let's hope they've worked out the problems. ;)
Hugo Chavez is a horrible person, but he always says such entertaining and off the wall things.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
What about the Kuznetsov? Earlier this year it was announced that the Kuzntsov will be going on another long range cruise. Is this in addition to the joint exercises with Venezuela or are those replacing the planned cruise? If we pull off both I'll be impressed.

nevidimka

At this rate, the 3rd Kirov class will be put back into service in the Pacific at flying pace.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you heard any news on dates? Also I'm curious whether the overhaul is just repairs, or also modernizations?

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
Have you heard any news on dates? Also I'm curious whether the overhaul is just repairs, or also modernizations?
The following was posted by Star 49 @ forum.keypublishing.co.uk/index.php earlier today.

Unloading of reactor sectors from heavy cruiser sub will be completed by November

SEVERODVINSK. Sept 5 (Interfax-AVN) - Teams from Sevmashpredpriyatiye shipyard and from the White Sea naval base are preparing for the unloading of active sections of reactors of the nuclear powered heavy missile cruise ship Admiral Nakhimov.

"The so-called operation No. 1 that has been put off many times over financial problems will take place before November this year," a source on the naval base team told Interfax.

"The financing of the unloading and the transportation of the spent nuclear fuel by train to the Mayak facility has begun. Money for the repairs of the ship will be included in next year's budget," the source added.

In the framework of the repairs and upgrading of the cruiser outdated radio-electronic equipment will be replaced. New computer equipment will be installed upgrading the cruiser's radio electronics to 21st century standards. In addition, the Granit (Shipwreck) missile system is expected to be changed for a newer system. The new system is ready for installation in the Russian Oskar-II nuclear submarines, the same will be installed in the cruiser.

The heavy cruiser Admiral Nakhimov (until 1992 the Kalinin) was commissioned in 1988. It provides the capability to engage large surface ships and to defend the fleet against air and submarine attack.
Sounds like a full modernisation to me, replacement of the S-300 with S-400?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doesn't say anything about the ADS being replaced but other then that it's still nice to see the electronics especially get replaced. I don't think a navalized S-400 has been produced yet. So far only one has entered service, with allegedly two more to come this year.

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
Doesn't say anything about the ADS being replaced but other then that it's still nice to see the electronics especially get replaced. I don't think a navalized S-400 has been produced yet. So far only one has entered service, with allegedly two more to come this year.
Supposedly Pyotr Velikiy has S-400, but that is according to Wikipedia, so it could be wrong.