Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jf-17 thunder block-2 is under construction in real ????

Discussion in 'Air Force & Aviation' started by Tango1992, Sep 29, 2011.

Share This Page

1. Zhaow

Zhaow New Member

Their could be some African, central American or even South American countries who are in a buying mood and may want a cheap fighter that they can build upon. The JF-17 can fill a niche for curtain countries that don't have the cash for Western or Russian Hardware. Wouldn't the JF-17 equate to being the F-5 as a low cost cheap fighter. I could see the JF-17 replacing the J-7/F-7 Airguard for curtain countries such as Namibia, Nigeria,Zimbabwe or even Tanzania.

2. dazzerler1

dazzerler1 Banned Member

Why will a country leaning towards the west buy such an unproven aircraft basically made in China? Are countries not sick of seeing everything from cheap toys loaded with lead, fish, clothes, and now a fighter aircraft from China? What is the reliability of this JF-17? Countries that will buy this aircraft may end up paying more in the long run because it is cheaply produced?

3. Zhaow

Zhaow New Member

Their are countries that operated the J-7/F-7 Airguard could conceivably look at getting the JF-17 Thunder as a replacement.

4. dazzerler1

dazzerler1 Banned Member

It would be hilarious if China doesn't even want to have this plane in their inventory! I would venture to guess then that Pakistan will be the sole user? Thinking loudly, what is the reason the US is even providing Pakistan the F-16 when they're jointly manufacturing this aircraft with China?

5. dazzerler1

dazzerler1 Banned Member

So this article saying the delivery of F-16's is old? Do you have any information whether the JF-17 is a reverse engineering from the F-16?

Pakistan to get new F-16 jets starting this month | NDTV.com

6. Comrade69

Comrade69 Banned Member

Thats a new article, no doubt...

And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that is part of a F-16 deal that was signed a while back, and all the US is doing is fulfilling that order. However, I think those F-16's are the last US technology that Pakistan will see.

And thats also a great question, as we all know that China has never really demonstrated the ability to make a fighter 100% from scratch...

7. Twain

Twain Member

I believe that is an existing deal not a new contract

$5.1B Proposed Sales, Upgrades, Weapons Pakistan’s F-16s

On June 28/06, the US DSCA notified Congress via a series of releases of its intention to provide Pakistan with a $5.1 billion Foreign Military Sales package to upgrade the F-16s that serve as the PAF’s top of the line fighters. Some of these items had been put on hold following the October 2005 earthquake in Pakistan & Kashmir, but the request for 36 new F-16 Block 50/52s is now going ahead, along with new weapons, engine modifications, and upgrade kits for Pakistan’s older F-16 A/Bs. The buy went through, and was accompanied by the supply of 26 older F-16s from USAF surplus stocks.

I think you are right, this will be the last US technology they get, I would also guess the supply of spare parts will dry up in 2014.

8. Comrade69

Comrade69 Banned Member

Probably why their starting to buy the JF-17

I forgot where I read it, but I could of sworn it said something about the F-16 deal being the last deal that US-Pakistan will do together...

And also last time I checked, the US usually does not do business with countries who do business with not so good standings with NATO

and Pakistan mainly deals with China, and Russia a little bit

9. T.C.P da Devil

T.C.P da Devil New Member

I don't think Pakistan makes any mily deals with Russia, except for the JF-17 engine thing.

10. T.C.P da Devil

T.C.P da Devil New Member

The Il-78s are from Ukraine, not Russia, I don't know where they got the Mi-17s though. Could be Russia or some other es USSR state.

11. ASSAIL

ASSAIL Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

Chinese technology

Gents, I would all take a deep breath when commenting about China's capacity to produce planes, ships, whatever.
    This is a nation that has put people into space and has got them back again.

I know nothing about fighter aircraft, apart from what I read here but I do recall a time in history when advanced nations such as the UK and US made the same disparaging comments about the abilities of Japanese aircraft and ships and they paid a heavy price for their complacency.

The pace of Chinese industrial and technological development is breathtaking and their political will to be recognized as a world political, industrial and military powerhouse should not be underestimated.

Continue to watch that space and expect the unexpected.

12. naseem shah

naseem shah Banned Member

pakistan is not the only one to buy it but many air forces have bought it and many are intrested in buying it and jf 17 thunder block 2 and 3 will be better and it will be converted into stealth fighter

13. swerve

swerve Super Moderator

Which are these many other air forces? I've seen many reports of air forces considering it, but not a single report of a contract being signed, or aircraft being delivered.

JF-17 being 'converted into stealth fighter' is pure fantasy. It'd need so many changes that it would end with a new airframe, which would make it a new aircraft.

14. Bonza

Bonza Super Moderator Staff Member

Sources, where are they?

15. old faithful

old faithful Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

How many JF17,s have been produced and delivered to the PAF so far? Last I heard was 42 production models and 4 prototypes, a good achievment, however, a block 2 at this stage, shows that the aircraft has a long way to go before it matures, I'm sure that its a good replacment for old Mirage A5,s and F7,s.

16. SABRE

SABRE Super Moderator Verified Defense Pro

Agreed.

Such venture would also not be feasible, especially for China, after the development of J-31 & J-20. I don't know which one is intended for exports (most likely J-31) but stealth JF-17 may only end up ruining the market for it.

Buying J-20/J-31 instead of pursuing a radically modified stealth JF-17 would be more cost friendly & time feasible for PAF also.

17. swerve

swerve Super Moderator

Agreed.

18. Bonza

Sources within 24 hours or I'm kicking you off the site, I'm sick of these BS wish-list drive by posts.

19. Bonza

Okay then...

20. Pilot2000

Pilot2000 New Member

Kamra Airbase

The Chinese JF-17 turned out to be even worse than its space rocket. In November 2011 a JF-17 crashed near Kamra killing the Squadron Leader Muhhamad Hussain because of wing collapse. Now our JF-17 pilots are not allowed to gain more than 0,8 M, fly below 1,5 km and practice aerobatics. JF-17 pilots are the bravest in the world as they fly on jets falling apart.

note hilighted.... lets just stay on subject and leave the nationalism parked. there's no need for it and all it does is have everyone else drop in their own contribution about how good their own countries pilots are - ultimately a worthless exercise

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013