Japanese Stealth Fighter

Vulcan

I find quite a lot of the new demonstrators impressive, it takes a significant amount of knowledge, money, ambition and political will to develop a national fighter project, particularly if that country has relatively little design experience.

Besides which, there's plenty of cash to be made in aiding the development of said prototypes and many technical reasons to do so.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I find quite a lot of the new demonstrators impressive, it takes a significant amount of knowledge, money, ambition and political will to develop a national fighter project, particularly if that country has relatively little design experience.

Besides which, there's plenty of cash to be made in aiding the development of said prototypes and many technical reasons to do so.
The knowledge component would include the necessary manufacturing expertise for the numerous specialized parts required by a modern fighter design. Canada had all these assets in the late 1950s but ran short on the last component, political will. ICBMs largely negated the need for a dedicated interceptor for confronting Soviet bombers so the Arrow wasn't needed. Rather than redirect to program towards a multi-role fighter, the government of the day destroyed the country's military aviation industry, millions of dollars and effort were all for not. Contrast this story with Australia's Collins program, 8 very capable subs with the industrial infrastructure still in place to work on a replacement. There was political waffling but fortunately not enough to be fatal to the program.

Vulcan

The knowledge component would include the necessary manufacturing expertise for the numerous specialized parts required by a modern fighter design. Canada had all these assets in the late 1950s but ran short on the last component, political will. ICBMs largely negated the need for a dedicated interceptor for confronting Soviet bombers so the Arrow wasn't needed. Rather than redirect to program towards a multi-role fighter, the government of the day destroyed the country's military aviation industry, millions of dollars and effort were all for not. Contrast this story with Australia's Collins program, 8 very capable subs with the industrial infrastructure still in place to work on a replacement. There was political waffling but fortunately not enough to be fatal to the program.
I literally cannot emphasise enough how much programs like this can be worth in this respect. You need to understand what you know and, just as crucially, what you don't.

If that isn't coherent throughout the process you get a differential between concept designers and the unlucky buggers who have to actually figure out a practical solution to stated requirements which have been theoretically solved by a designers belief a particular technology or material exists when it doesn't.

Throughout the testing phase of this aircraft, the Japanese aero industry will be gaining a significant amount of understanding about materials, systems integration, advanced manufacturing and all the sub-divisions of those and how they all work together.

It'll be interesting to see how Japan goes in the ITAR route, as a key US ally in the Pacific you'd think it wouldn't be as big of an issue. However France and, increasingly, the UK has in some areas trying to keep ITAR at arms length as much as possible for commercial reasons. I'd like to see if anything from the Japanese program is exportable.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
It'll be interesting to see how Japan goes in the ITAR route, as a key US ally in the Pacific you'd think it wouldn't be as big of an issue. However France and, increasingly, the UK has in some areas trying to keep ITAR at arms length as much as possible for commercial reasons. I'd like to see if anything from the Japanese program is exportable.

just a bit of caution on the use of terminology.

ITAR is a US specific term - less experienced members might struggle to differentiate between official terminology and a generic IP transfer strategic philosophy/process

Vulcan

just a bit of caution on the use of terminology.

ITAR is a US specific term - less experienced members might struggle to differentiate between official terminology and a generic IP transfer strategic philosophy/process
Ah right, in this instance it was used to specifically mean US regs.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Ah right, in this instance it was used to specifically mean US regs.
Yep, I'd read it as the japanese needing to adopting an ITARs framework around their own tech developments.

ie a clearly constructed national interest, strategic tech governance protected model

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Yep, I'd read it as the japanese needing to adopting an ITARs framework around their own tech developments.

ie a clearly constructed national interest, strategic tech governance protected model
Funny, I interpreted the comment to mean Japan needing to get US approval to export certain pieces of kit that were based off US IP. Oh the multitude of ways comments can be read and digested.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Funny, I interpreted the comment to mean Japan needing to get US approval to export certain pieces of kit that were based off US IP. Oh the multitude of ways comments can be read and digested.
thats why Forums can be an imperfect discussion medium :)

swerve

Super Moderator
That's how I read it.

What is in one's head when typing does not necessarily equal what is in the reader's head.