Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force Thread

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
The F35B has made the lighter carrier which was previously limited to the Harrier - as good a plan as it is - a more valid option on the table.

Don't see Japan doing nuc CTOL IMO, however easing into the idea of offensive action with F35Bs on their DDH (lol) certainly seems doable considering they just need to push the 'aggressive China' angle.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
The F35B has made the lighter carrier which was previously limited to the Harrier - as good a plan as it is - a more valid option on the table.

Don't see Japan doing nuc CTOL IMO, however easing into the idea of offensive action with F35Bs on their DDH (lol) certainly seems doable considering they just need to push the 'aggressive China' angle.
I would still be interested how F-35B compatible those DDH's are..

I would imagine they would be pretty fast, with 84 MW compared to say the Canberra class which has only ~35 MW of power. Similar to the Cavour (4x 2500).

Might be a bit faster than Cavor, they seem narrower in the water? Smaller draft, narrower at the water line, bit newer. While they have no skijump, they are very long and very fast.

t68

I would still be interested how F-35B compatible those DDH's are..

I would imagine they would be pretty fast, with 84 MW compared to say the Canberra class which has only ~35 MW of power. Similar to the Cavour (4x 2500).

Might be a bit faster than Cavor, they seem narrower in the water? Smaller draft, narrower at the water line, bit newer. While they have no skijump, they are very long and very fast.

They appear to be more of an improved Essex class carrier than an aviation enhanced LHD such as LHA-6

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
They appear to be more of an improved Essex class carrier than an aviation enhanced LHD such as LHA-6
Very roughly speaking, Hyuga is about the size of Invincible and Izzumo is closer to Hermes or Victorious.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very roughly speaking, Hyuga is about the size of Invincible and Izzumo is closer to Hermes or Victorious.
Dimentionally yes, I assume t68 might have been referring to design philosophy.

They seem to have a huge hanger ~ twice that of Cavor. Also one deck less than cavor so hence the long low stance. I would assume the basics are there to make a reasonable F-35 carrier if required.

swerve

Super Moderator
Izumo is very close in length & beam to Cavour: 4 metres longer, 1 narrower. About the same installed power, I think, including the diesels on Cavour.

Hermes was 12 metres shorter, but with the angled deck was 6 metres wider. Full load displacement at end of life was about the same, but Izumo has more power.

Re-do the deck & add a ski-jump & she could be an excellent F-35B carrier. There's one lift (deck centre) which is said to be rated at 30 tons, & is big enough (20 x 13 metres). The aft lift is only 15 metres long, according to Japanese Wiki, but it's 14 metres wide & deck edge, so with a slight overhang or angled it can be used for F-35B. Very similar to Cavour.

Dunno why you say the hangar's twice the size of Cavour's. According to J-Wiki, it's 9 metres shorter, & the same width & height.

PS. The second of class is building.

t68

Dimentionally yes, I assume t68 might have been referring to design philosophy.

They seem to have a huge hanger ~ twice that of Cavor. Also one deck less than cavor so hence the long low stance. I would assume the basics are there to make a reasonable F-35 carrier if required.

Correct never having seen the hull of either ships it just seem that they appear more sleeker to push thru the water faster, I imagine the Canberra/America class would have more of a flat hull hence the speed diffrence and CONOPS

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Factor in that there are no longer any fix wing carrier based ASW aircraft in production and that even the USN has switched to using helicopters exclusively for the role from their carriers there is now no advantage in having CTOL in anything other than super carriers.
E-2 Hawkeye... Even better with CEC.

swerve

Super Moderator
Italy has AEW AW101s operational now. But the UK Crowsnest should be better, whichever option is selected.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
True the Hawkeye is extremely capable but there are (well will be at least one) helicopter based alternatives.
CEC will be a big deal for a number of partners in the PACRIM. We've already exercised with another navy in managing their weapons release, so its of importance to those with Aegis systems around the Sth and East China Seas

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
V-22B Block C Osprey Aircraft

Sorry to re-start a thread that has been dormant for some time, but guessing this will be the logical place ?

Link below for DSCA approval for 17 V-22B Block C Osprey's and associated spares and equipment, guessing they will operate from the Izumo's as well as possible island hopping as well ?

I know there has been talk for some time about Japan possibly getting the Opsrey, but this is the first firm confirmation I have seen

Cheers

Japan – V-22B Block C Osprey Aircraft | The Official Home of the Defense Security Cooperation Agency

t68

Sorry to re-start a thread that has been dormant for some time, but guessing this will be the logical place ?

Link below for DSCA approval for 17 V-22B Block C Osprey's and associated spares and equipment, guessing they will operate from the Izumo's as well as possible island hopping as well ?

I know there has been talk for some time about Japan possibly getting the Opsrey, but this is the first firm confirmation I have seen

Cheers

Japan – V-22B Block C Osprey Aircraft | The Official Home of the Defense Security Cooperation Agency

I imagine that 3 Billion is USD, Any idea how many spots are avalible for V22 concurrent operations as we know the Canberra only have 1 spot each

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I imagine that 3 Billion is USD, Any idea how many spots are avalible for V22 concurrent operations as we know the Canberra only have 1 spot each
I can't recall ever seeing anything definitive with regards to spots for the Osprey, the Izumo's have 5 spots for simultaneous operations, but I assume that only relates to regular helo operations as it does for the Canberra's. I have only ever seen loose indications that they are capable of V22 and possible STOVL operations, but have seen reference that they are capable of handling 2 CH-47's ?

Cheers

t68

I can't recall ever seeing anything definitive with regards to spots for the Osprey, the Izumo's have 5 spots for simultaneous operations, but I assume that only relates to regular helo operations as it does for the Canberra's. I have only ever seen loose indications that they are capable of V22 and possible STOVL operations, but have seen reference that they are capable of handling 2 CH-47's ?

Cheers
Yeah I could not find anything concrete either. Only 2x CH-47 pretty sure I read Canberra's can handle 4x CH-47 simultaneously

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
The flight deck of the "LHD Juan Carlos I" is 202.3 by 32 meters with a surface of 5,440 square meters. It has a 12 degrees sky-jump at bow-port side to facilitate the launch of STOVL (Short Take Off and Vertical Landing) aircraft. The flight deck allows for both day and night operations and has six SPOT for mid-size or four for larger helicopters (CH -47D Chinook helicopter type), and another aft SPOT heavy reinforced especially for the Bell-Boeing MV-22 Osprey or CH-53 Super Stallion.
Displaying items by tag: Strategic Projection Vessel - Buques de Guerra

Japan has the Izumo, Hyuga, Osumi that can land a V-22. I believe the Izumo and Hyuga can hanger them. I would assume Izumo can operate at least 2 (one fore and one aft) as long as the deck is strong enough.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Izumo is very close in length & beam to Cavour: 4 metres longer, 1 narrower. About the same installed power, I think, including the diesels on Cavour.

Hermes was 12 metres shorter, but with the angled deck was 6 metres wider. Full load displacement at end of life was about the same, but Izumo has more power.

Re-do the deck & add a ski-jump & she could be an excellent F-35B carrier. There's one lift (deck centre) which is said to be rated at 30 tons, & is big enough (20 x 13 metres). The aft lift is only 15 metres long, according to Japanese Wiki, but it's 14 metres wide & deck edge, so with a slight overhang or angled it can be used for F-35B. Very similar to Cavour.

Dunno why you say the hangar's twice the size of Cavour's. According to J-Wiki, it's 9 metres shorter, & the same width & height.

PS. The second of class is building.
Well according to you big enough for the JSF, not sure what is required for the Osprey though ? but if dimensions are in the range of the Canberra's then should be ok for the V22

Cheers