Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force Thread

telpher

"Long-term operational UUV(長期運用型UUV)" from ATLA Vessel Equipment Institute has been nominated for Japan's Ships of the Year 2022, and images of the prototype have been released.
It measures L×B×D:10.1m×1.8m×1.8m and manufactured by MHI.

It adopts a modular structure and consists of "UUV main module" composed of head, energy, and tail module, and "additional module" sandwiched between them. This picture's prototype is main module only.
The energy module is AIP with fuel cell + secondary battery (probably li-ion) system; it will operate for a week at 3-4 knots cruising.

At the ATLA Technical Symposium 2019, the operational period was expected to be one month, but it is a prototype and may have been downsized.

Additional modules include an oceanographic equipment module(Judging from the illustration, probably a multibeam depthfinder) and installing underwater equipment(maybe naval mine or ASW sensor) module, and so on.

The development schedule has been publicly announced for some time, with research and prototyping of UUV main module to be completed in 2022 and additional modules is scheduled to be completed in 2023. The examinations are scheduled from 2022 to 2024.

Edit:

There was an article about this XLUUV from Naval News.

Apparently I mistaked: It powered only by Li-ion battery, not fuel cell.
It is unclear whether this change is due to improved battery performance or simply because this XLUUV is still a prototype.

Also, the article notes that this XLUUV has four propellers, a feature of more smaller UUVs in general.
My guess is that the reasons are probably 1) to ensure reliability, 2) to ensure maneuverability at low speeds/stops where rudder is difficult to work with.
In exchange, it becomes inefficient at high speed cruise.

I believe this XLUUV is developing with the primary purpose of slowly advancing long distances without assistance and laying mines precisely at designated locations.

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
"Long-term operational UUV(長期運用型UUV)" from ATLA Vessel Equipment Institute has been nominated for Japan's Ships of the Year 2022, and images of the prototype have been released.
It measures L×B×D:10.1m×1.8m×1.8m and manufactured by MHI.

It adopts a modular structure and consists of "UUV main module" composed of head, energy, and tail module, and "additional module" sandwiched between them. This picture's prototype is main module only.
The energy module is AIP with fuel cell + secondary battery (probably li-ion) system; it will operate for a week at 3-4 knots cruising.

At the ATLA Technical Symposium 2019, the operational period was expected to be one month, but it is a prototype and may have been downsized.

Additional modules include an oceanographic equipment module(Judging from the illustration, probably a multibeam depthfinder) and installing underwater equipment(maybe naval mine or ASW sensor) module, and so on.

The development schedule has been publicly announced for some time, with research and prototyping of UUV main module to be completed in 2022 and additional modules is scheduled to be completed in 2023. The examinations are scheduled from 2022 to 2024.

Edit:

There was an article about this XLUUV from Naval News.

Apparently I mistaked: It powered only by Li-ion battery, not fuel cell.
It is unclear whether this change is due to improved battery performance or simply because this XLUUV is still a prototype.

Also, the article notes that this XLUUV has four propellers, a feature of more smaller UUVs in general.
My guess is that the reasons are probably 1) to ensure reliability, 2) to ensure maneuverability at low speeds/stops where rudder is difficult to work with.
In exchange, it becomes inefficient at high speed cruise.

I believe this XLUUV is developing with the primary purpose of slowly advancing long distances without assistance and laying mines precisely at designated locations.
ATLA will certainly be a program to keep an eye on.

Here is the Naval News article on ATLA.

telpher

ATLA will certainly be a program to keep an eye on.

Here is the Naval News article on ATLA.

Yes, I commented on that in my post edit.
Should I use the edit feature less and separate posts? I'm still getting used to this place...

telpher

One more from Naval News.
It seems that A-SAM was first test fired last December.

A-SAM is OTH-SAM combining Type07 VL-ASLOC booster and improved Type03 SAM munition/seeker.
It is similar in scale to SM-6 and is planning to be installed on JMSDF DD and FFM.
Prototype and technical tests completed in Reiwa4 (2022), and practical tests will be conducted this year, with mass production start scheduled for next year.

And the video from ATLA official twitter & youtube introducing ongoing R&D programs.
In order: long-range operational UUV, high-power laser, and New anti-ship missiles for island defense.

New anti-ship missile for island defense is an missile under study by KHI and is intended to be launched from an aircraft/land/ship, similar to the improved Type12 SSM.
The CG in this video shows it taking evasive maneuvers with meandering against SAM and barrelrolls against gun CIWS, very interesting.
It is known that NSM do random maneuvers to avoid intercept, but it seems that they do something similar.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Last month the Japanese Ministry of Defense (MOD) announced that it has signed four contracts with Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) to quickly develop and produce various standoff (long-range) missiles. These are four quite important programs.

And here a nice video on board the Kumano FFM-2, the second 30FFM Mogami Class frigate.

Last edited:

swerve

Super Moderator
The improved Type 12 has been in the works for a long time, I think, with no apparent urgency until now. A decision to accelerate production shows a bit of a change in policy. The HVGP looks interesting.

It looks as if they're taking the Chinese threat seriously.

Redlands18

The Japanese navy is developing a new stealthy frigate design with a manning level of 90 ,perhaps showing it can be done, Im not sure that this type of ship would add though to the capabilities of the R.A.N
Japan is Looking for a New Class of FFM Frigates - Naval News
30FFM: Japan’s Next Generation Frigate Taking Shape at Two Shipyards - Naval News
They are stopping the Mogami build at 12 and developing an improved Mogami for the next 10 with the first of class to be laid down in 2024.

swerve

Super Moderator
I understood the 30FFM to be that replacement for the Mogami ,it also may be sold to Indonesia ,
Japan’s New Mogami-Class Frigates Show What The U.S. Navy’s Littoral Combat Ships Could Have Been (forbes.com)
The JMSDF isn't replacing the Mogamis. It's just reducing the number of Mogamis it'll buy & instead buying a new frigate, which appears to be an improved Mogami. They'll serve alongside each other. As usual, the JMSDF is doing incremental improvement.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like the JMSDF is going to stop production of the Mogami Class at 12 and move to an evolved Mogami design from 2024. There is also several reports of design issues.
Very typical of the Japanese to go for incremental improvement. 12 is still a large of class for the Japanese. Also the threat is also changing. Japan also needs to increase its level of automation as crewing large ships is already a difficultly and will continue to do so.

The issues around equipment layout and capstans seem pretty minor and typical for first of class. I would imagine on the new class they might be changing more than that. I wonder if they will go for a different propulsion arrangement, perhaps an all diesel variant for enhanced range, perhaps different weapons and sensor fitout too.

telpher

The design contracts for the ASEV have been signed.
The first ship will be built by MHI and the second by JMU.
The Mk.41 VLS is 128 cells and is stated to carry SM-6 and SM-3 block2A. It is still unclear about Tomahawk and improved Type12.

This year's budget includes 220.8 billion yen for equipment procurement and ship design.
3 Mk.45 guns (2 for Mogami class) are to be procured, it appears that this will be the main gun.
Sonar systems are procured from the U.S. by FMS (possibly AN/SQQ-89 and AN/SQS-53?).
The engine appears to be either MT30 or LM2500.

The first ship is scheduled to be commissioned in 2027 and the second in 2028.
A somewhat ambitious schedule. Conventional Aegis DDGs need five years from groundbreaking to commissioning.

telpher

Japan is Looking for a New Class of FFM Frigates - Naval News
Looks like the JMSDF is going to stop production of the Mogami Class at 12 and move to an evolved Mogami design from 2024. There is also several reports of design issues.
I am relieved to hear that this doesn't seem to be a critical problem of new developed equipment such as OYQ-1 or OPY-2.
The capstan problem is...probably due to interference with any of the hatches in the rear bays?

A Japanese article written by the same journalist states that the helicopter deck is tilted forward, causing water to accumulate inside. Stealth also negatively affects this (Stealth shield? Or the camber angle may have been insufficient for drainage).

I wonder if they will go for a different propulsion arrangement, perhaps an all diesel variant for enhanced range, perhaps different weapons and sensor fitout too.
All diesel is not possible.
The last time they were used on JMSDF surface combatants was decades ago. 30kt+ speed is a must for them.

telpher

By the way: In Japan, FY (start in April) is distinguished by the use of Japanese era name.
30FFM is the budgeted name for Mogami and Kumano, derived from Heisei 30 (2018).
It was used for convenience as the name for all of this class before the name of the first ship, Mogami was announced.

(Heisei) 30FFM: FFM-1 Mogami, FFM-2 Kumano
(Reiwa) 01FFM: FFM-3 Noshiro, FFM-4 Mikuma
02FFM: FFM-5 Yahagi, FFM-6 Agano
03FFM: FFM-7, 8
04FFM: FFM-9, 10
05FFM: FFM-11, 12

So the new FFM is officially called simply the New type FFM, some communitys calls it the 06FFM class.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
A n article describing the new missile ships that Japan will be building. 128 SMS (mixture of 3s and 6s). Radar will be SPY7 thus being the third class to use this LM radar.

They'll be mean ships when completed and fully fitted out. 128 VLS is one mean loadout.