Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force Thread

Sandhi Yudha

Japan's Ministry of Defense (MoD) announced the outline of the FY2022 defense budget on 24 December 2021. According to the MoD, the budget for FY2022 will be designed as a 16-month budget, integrating the supplementary budget for FY2021. The outcome is a record defense budget.

The total budget is ¥ 5,8661 trillion (about $51 billion), which is the highest it has ever been. An overview of the new items on naval domain added in the supplementary budget can be found here:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandhi Yudha

The Type 12 surface-to-ship missile (SSM) systems are to be upgraded to enhance its stand-off defence capabilities.
One of the improvements is the range, achieved by giving the missile another shape and increase its length. The current maximum range of 200 km will likely to be increased to around 900 km.

ddxx

Japanese Amateur video catching 30FFM (Mogami) sea trials. Aside for their own, this type also still the focus by Japan to be their first type of Frigate for export market.
I think it’s rather genius how they replaced traditional bridge wings with cameras - the Japanese often get the simple things right when it comes to design!

Sandhi Yudha

Last edited:

Redlands18

Taigei SS-513 was officially launched on 14 October 2020, and entered service yesterday om 9 March 2022, 17 months later. Taigei is the first submarine of its class (previously known as 29SS).

Its March of course Japan has commissioned a new Submarine, they have every March since 1991 except for 2007 when they stuffed up really badly and commissioned it one day early on 28 Feb.
Ship Building efficiency some countries can only dream of.

Sandhi Yudha

Unlike its the first of class Izumo, the current modification of the Kaga is a very large-scale project that not only makes the flight deck heat resistant with new markings, but also includes changes to the shape of the bow. The difference can be seen in the modification cost: the Izumo‘s first modification cost 3,1 billion yen, while the Kaga‘s cost was ¥ 20,3 billion.

According to the Ministry of Defense, the first modification of the Kaga is expected to take 14 months, followed by a second modification of the ship’s interior, which is expected to begin in March 2027. So the modification of the Kaga will be more intensive to make it really suitable for F-35 operations.

KiwiRob

Unlike its the first of class Izumo, the current modification of the Kaga is a very large-scale project that not only makes the flight deck heat resistant with new markings, but also includes changes to the shape of the bow. The difference can be seen in the modification cost: the Izumo‘s first modification cost 3,1 billion yen, while the Kaga‘s cost was ¥ 20,3 billion.

According to the Ministry of Defense, the first modification of the Kaga is expected to take 14 months, followed by a second modification of the ship’s interior, which is expected to begin in March 2027. So the modification of the Kaga will be more intensive to make it really suitable for F-35 operations.

From the article. Izumo isn't finished with her modifications.

The second phase of the modification for Izumo is scheduled to begin in March 2025, where the bow shape of the flagship will be changed from trapezoidal to rectangular to make it easier for the F-35B to launch. The interior of the ship will also be modified. The modifications are expected to be completed by early 2027.

Sandhi Yudha

With a length of 140 m and a beam of 16,5 m, the 6700 t Shunkou Class is not the largest or heaviest class of the Japanese Coast Guard. But still the second of class Asanagi (PLH43) is quite impressive.

There is place for two AS332 Super Puma helicopters, like at the Mizuho and Shikishima classes, but with a Bofors 40 mm main gun, the armament is heavier.

Salinger

Japan builds two 20,000-ton-class fully private Room Aegis warships
Defense budget exceeds 1% of GDP, in the 6 trillion yen range, estimated claim amount is 5.6 trillion yen
Long-range missiles deployed three years ahead of schedule New Aegis ships to enter service in 2027
The total length is 210 meters or less, the total width is 40 meters or less, and the standard displacement is assumed to be about 20,000 tons. She aims to commission her first ship at the end of FY2027 and her second ship at the end of FY2028.

Last edited:

Redlands18

Japan builds two 20,000-ton-class fully private Room Aegis warships
Defense budget exceeds 1% of GDP, in the 6 trillion yen range, estimated claim amount is 5.6 trillion yen
Long-range missiles deployed three years ahead of schedule New Aegis ships to enter service in 2027
The total length is 210 meters or less, the total width is 40 meters or less, and the standard displacement is assumed to be about 20,000 tons. She aims to commission her first ship at the end of FY2027 and her second ship at the end of FY2028.
That is somewhat weird dimensions for a ship, with a Beam to length ratio of 5.25 for 210x40m. That is as wide as an Essex class Carrier but 40 odd metres shorter.

Sandhi Yudha

This is indeed an unbelievable large design with insane dimensions, as long as Project 68bis cruisers but heavier, and with a beam similar to the Yamato class battleships!

Musashi_kenshin

This is indeed an unbelievable large design with insane dimensions, as long as Project 68bis cruisers but heavier, and with a beam similar to the Yamato class battleships!
I would be interested to see the final specifications - could be this is an upper estimate. Also the English version of the article doesn't refer to tonnage.

But if correct I suppose it would be understandable. Would leave plenty of room for lots of VLS cells, a larger radar, more powerful generators, etc.

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I would be interested to see the final specifications - could be this is an upper estimate. Also the English version of the article doesn't refer to tonnage.

But if correct I suppose it would be understandable. Would leave plenty of room for lots of VLS cells, a larger radar, more powerful generators, etc.
Indeed, extra room for generators makes sense. I assume this ship will have IEP and extra power for future laser weapons.

vonnoobie

That has been an ongoing project for a couple years now.

Japan moves forward with Aegis equipped ship project. But is it enough? - Naval News

Based on this article from last year which has an artist impression of the design (unknown if based off of any actual knowledge or comments or if simple drawing of what ever) which is a catamaran type hull which would explain the length to beam ratio being what it is. These aren't meant to be ships sailing the sea's with the fleet but rather be a mobile version of Aegis ashore which they view as more useful being able to be relocated to where and when needed rather then stuck in a fixed location.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
That has been an ongoing project for a couple years now.

Japan moves forward with Aegis equipped ship project. But is it enough? - Naval News

Based on this article from last year which has an artist impression of the design (unknown if based off of any actual knowledge or comments or if simple drawing of what ever) which is a catamaran type hull which would explain the length to beam ratio being what it is. These aren't meant to be ships sailing the sea's with the fleet but rather be a mobile version of Aegis ashore which they view as more useful being able to be relocated to where and when needed rather then stuck in a fixed location.
The article implies there may be a change in the operational environment for this new class of ship. It may also need to operate further away from Japan so it may require much more destroyer DNA to defend itself and other naval vessels. The Aegis system ship may become a destroyer/cruiser hybrid. The marine version of SPY7 is critical for Spain and Canada’s frigate programs.

Musashi_kenshin

When I saw that image when the article was published I thought it was junk. It looked to me that someone had seen Aegis Ashore and just stuck it on a stripped-down platform on the basis that's what the naval version would be. Also it doesn't seem to have many VLS cells. I can't believe for a moment that it was drawn with knowledge of official specifications.

Like John F I think it more likely that the ship will have been designed as a very large destroyer, maybe cruiser, that can cooperate with other ships. Japan would be pissing away money by having a floating SM-6 box that needed constant protection.

vonnoobie

When I saw that image when the article was published I thought it was junk. It looked to me that someone had seen Aegis Ashore and just stuck it on a stripped-down platform on the basis that's what the naval version would be. Also it doesn't seem to have many VLS cells. I can't believe for a moment that it was drawn with knowledge of official specifications.

Like John F I think it more likely that the ship will have been designed as a very large destroyer, maybe cruiser, that can cooperate with other ships. Japan would be pissing away money by having a floating SM-6 box that needed constant protection.
If it is going to be a destroyer type vessel (or cruiser) then and i am assuming you are talking monohaul? then all dimensions and tonnage mentioned to date are out of the window because a 40m wide hull is going to be the slowest ship in the fleet which will entirely negate its use in such a situation.

Should also point out that article I linked that is mentioning just doing the Aegis destroyer, that is the personnel opinion of the author, Not any official stance.

Musashi_kenshin

If it is going to be a destroyer type vessel (or cruiser) then and i am assuming you are talking monohaul? then all dimensions and tonnage mentioned to date are out of the window because a 40m wide hull is going to be the slowest ship in the fleet which will entirely negate its use in such a situation.
I made no comment about whether it's a monohull or not, just that the picture shown was not a destroyer or cruiser but essentially a floating missile platform, so really not worth the investment.