Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force Thread

Redlands18

I couldn’t pass this by, it gives a real perspective re “armour” defences in naval ships of the first half of the 20th century
This 26” thick armour has been breached by a 16* shell!
Got no idea where that armour comes from but it's certainly not a Yamato, no US Battleship ever fired on a Yamato, both were sunk by carrier aircraft.

wild_Willie2

This was most likely a piece of extra / spare / R&D armor used during testing in Japan before being captured by the US after the Japanese surrender. But this is most likely just a very close range (50 meter?) and 90 degrees hit by a 16 inch shell on this piece of armor so this does not prove much for practical penetration. This sort of data is only useful if you have comparative data under similar test conditions.

I had some time to look this picture up and this short video explains the what and why of this piece of armor.

Last edited:

Redlands18

This was most likely a piece of extra / spare / R&D armor used during testing in Japan before being captured by the US after the Japanese surrender. But this is most likely just a very close range (50 meter?) and 90 degrees hit by a 16 inch shell on this piece of armor so this does not prove much for practical penetration. This sort of data is only useful if you have comparative data under similar test conditions.

I had some time to look this picture up and this short video explains the what and why of this piece of armor.

Thanks for clearing that up, the test was done at 400ft (121m) it is in the video.