Japan Ground Self Defense Force

telpher

(I wasn't sure where to post this, but here)

Japanese government has decided to accept wounded Ukrainian solders at the JSDF Central Hospital in Tokyo next month.
Probably part of the new aid to Ukraine to be announced at the summit.

This is the first time that a JSDF hospital has treated foreign soldiers.
But, it is unlikely that this will affect the war in Ukraine, only "several" soldiers will be accepted.
So, I think this objective is not for Ukraine, but rather for Japan.

First, JSDFs military doctors should be given experience in treating wounded soldiers.
In Japan, very few people are injured by bullets, especially rifle bullets.
It is possible that they have never seen other than pictures in textbooks, such as soldiers wounded by mines or shells.

Second, it can set a precedent for treating wounded soldiers from other countries in Japan.
In the Chinese invasion of Taiwan, it should be possible to promptly treat wounded soldiers of the Taiwan army in Japan.

telpher

The Japanese bought some bushmasters, but not sure if they are still with the JSDF or they moved them to the police. They were going to be rescue vechicles. A total of 4. Buying overseas gear is pretty rare for them. I think it was more about building relationships with Australia and assessing the Bushmaster as a concept.
There are now eight, all still deployed to the Central Readiness Regiment of JGSDF, which specializes in the protection of Japanese nationals abroad.
Some were reportedly actually transported overseas on C-2 for evacuation from Afghanistan and Sudan.

About for Patria...well, I liked the Mitsubishi's vehicles. That's all.

swerve

Super Moderator
The Japanese bought some bushmasters, but not sure if they are still with the JSDF or they moved them to the police. They were going to be rescue vechicles. A total of 4. Buying overseas gear is pretty rare for them. I think it was more about building relationships with Australia and assessing the Bushmaster as a concept.

So on occasion, very small, very specialized buys do happen. I am sure there are others. Lots of Japanese gear is designed off or inspired by other designs with heavy localization. I assume some licensing does occur, but doesn't have to be made public.
Japan built 480 FH-70 155mm guns, though that was quite a long time ago.

telpher

Japan built 480 FH-70 155mm guns, though that was quite a long time ago.
The original topic is about AFV. As for guns, Japan often imports or licenses production from Europe.
FH70 (and Type 99 and Type 19 SPG, the gun itself is a derivative of FH70), 120mm RT, 81mm L16, Carl Gustaf.

telpher

To support of Ukraine, Japan will provide a total of around 100 JSDF vehicles (1/2t trucks, HMVs, and Material carriers)

Material carrier (資材運搬車, an official translation has been released yet) have not received much attention, even Wikipedia does not have any pages other than Japanese.
But, it seems to be highly regarded within JSDF for its reliability and ease of use.資材運搬車(災害派遣活動).jpg

swerve

Super Moderator
Unglamourous stuff can be the core of an army. The US army's "deuce & a half" truck of WW2, the British Universal Carrier light AFV/transport (over 100,000 built) . . . .

telpher

(also has English version)

Japanese units participating in the Talisman Sabre exercise have been announced.
Type03 SAM and Type12 SSM will be live-fired, a first time for a foreign country other than the US.

The anti-aircraft exercise is force on force style and appears to simulate a SEAD prior to the landing of US Marines 31st MEU.
The anti-ship exercise will be participated by 816Sq and 822XSq from Australia, and the 2nd Military Intelligence Unit from Japan, which operates ScanEagle 2, will also participate, and is likely to practice firing SSM from an aerial search.