Japan agrees to harbor (port) a US nuclear powered aircraft carrier

Jeff Head

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Crusader2000 said:
Is Guam equipped take a ship the size of the Nimtz Class?
Apra harbor in Guam is a deep water port that can accomodate the largest US naval vessels, including carriers. In the past there has been talk of forward deploying a carrier there.

Guam Shipyard provides excellent repair and maintenance for US vessels, and Kilo Wharf is the only deep water ammunition port in the western pacific where a loaded ammunition ship can go pier side and get much needed maintenance accomplished.

Add to that Anderson Air Force base and the Naval air station there, and Guam represents a very critical and potent base for US forces in the Western Pacific.

Here's a good pic.

Crusader2000

Banned Member
Jeff Head said:
Apra harbor in Guam is a deep water port that can accomodate the largest US naval vessels, including carriers. In the past there has been talk of forward deploying a carrier there.

Guam Shipyard provides excellent repair and maintenance for US vessels, and Kilo Wharf is the only deep water ammunition port in the western pacific where a loaded ammunition ship can go pier side and get much needed maintenance accomplished.

Add to that Anderson Air Force base and the Naval air station there, and Guam represents a very critical and potent base for US forces in the Western Pacific.

Here's a good pic.

Maybe the US would be better to base 1 Carrier at Pearl Harbor and 1 at Guam?

Jeff Head

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Crusader2000 said:
Maybe the US would be better to base 1 Carrier at Pearl Harbor and 1 at Guam?
I believe it will definitely be Japan and Pearle...if things get more tense, Pearle will move to Guam. Japan is much closer to the action without being right in it.

Crusader2000

Banned Member
Jeff Head said:
I believe it will definitely be Japan and Pearle...if things get more tense, Pearle will move to Guam. Japan is much closer to the action without being right in it.

Well, regardless what some think its obvious that Japan wants a USN Carrier based in Japan itself. I wonder about a Carrier each in Japan, Guam, and Pearl Harbor????

Jeff Head

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Crusader2000 said:
I wonder about a Carrier each in Japan, Guam, and Pearl Harbor????
Definietely not out of the question in my opinion. It will depend on how strained relations with the PRC become, particularly over Taiwan.

Crusader2000

Banned Member
Jeff Head said:
Definietely not out of the question in my opinion. It will depend on how strained relations with the PRC become, particularly over Taiwan.

Well, both Guam and Pearl Harbor are both nice duty stations!:D Further, both would shorten transit time thereby saving the US taxpayer alot of money.............Win-Win:)

Jeff Head

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Crusader2000 said:
Well, both Guam and Pearl Harbor are both nice duty stations!:D Further, both would shorten transit time thereby saving the US taxpayer alot of money.............Win-Win:)
Agreed.

aaaditya

what about pearl harbour and the cam ranh bay,does the us navy still base vessels there?
can they be utilised in the event of a war with china.

Crusader2000

Banned Member
aaaditya said:
what about pearl harbour and the cam ranh bay,does the us navy still base vessels there?

Cam Ranh Bay is part of Vietnam. So, I wouldn't consider it a likely base that the USN could operate from? That said, there maybe other possibilities. Australia or South Korea come to mind?

Francois

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Crusader2000 said:
Cam Ranh Bay is part of Vietnam. So, I wouldn't consider it a likely base that the USN could operate from? That said, there maybe other possibilities. Australia or South Korea come to mind?
Why everybody forgets that Singapore is a forward dep base for the USN?
And its position is FAR more convenient then KRBay!

Crusader2000

Banned Member
Francois said:
Why everybody forgets that Singapore is a forward dep base for the USN?
And its position is FAR more convenient then KRBay!

True, yet some mite consider Singapore alittle to close to China?:gun

Francois

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Crusader2000 said:
Vietnam is not going to allow a major American Naval Base. So, really it doesn't matter....................
You are so sure?

article said:
tempting the American military with the Cam Rahn Bay ex-U.S. base, etc. (U.S. Assistant Defense Secretary Peter Rodman has just held talks with Vietnam's Defense Minister Pham Van Tra and his deputy Nguyen Huy Hieu on a two-day visit.)
http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/WTARC/2005/s6_12.html

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
aaaditya said:
Don't believe everything you read. There is no way this will happen. I'm 100% sure. There is no infastructure in Vietnam to suppourt a USN presence. Cam Ranh Bay is too shallow & Vietnam is a comunist country. Where will the carrier air wing be based? Where will the rest of the battle group be homeported? Where is the shipyard? If there is one can it suppourt nukes? US military members have dependents. Most are married. Where will they live? Back in the US? Can't do that because that would make the ship isolated duty that means a 1 year tour. That will not happen. Pearl Harbor or Guam is the best bet and that is what the USN is looking into now. In fact a study on this move of another CVN to the Pacific is funded in the 2006 DoD defense budget. I saw that on CSPN here in the US. More than likely it will be Pearl because of the excellent shipyard there. Plus it has the faclictiies to mainain a nuclear ship.

Last edited:

Crusader2000

Banned Member
bd popeye said:
Don't believe everything you read. There is no way this will happen. I'm 100% sure. There is no infastructure in Vietnam to suppourt a USN presence. Cam Ranh Bay is too shallow & Vietnam is a comunist country. Where will the carrier air wing be based? Where will the rest of the battle group be homeported? Where is the shipyard? If there is one can it suppourt nukes? US military members have dependents. Most are married. Where will they live? Back in the US? Can't do that because that would make the ship isolated duty that means a 1 year tour. That will not happen. Pearl Harbor or Guam is the best bet and that is what the USN is looking into now. In fact a study on this move of another CVN to the Pacific is funded in the 2006 DoD defense budget. I saw that on CSPN here in the US. More than likely it will be Pearl because of the excellent shipyard there. Plus it has the faclictiies to mainain a nuclear ship.

Pearl would make the most sense and any Carrier based there could be forward deployed to Guam during times of crisis. Personally, I would considering moving 1 Carrier to Guam and 1 to Pearl or possibly both to pearl.........:bazooka

FLY NAVY:cool:

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Pearl would make the most sense and any Carrier based there could be forward deployed to Guam during times of crisis. Personally, I would considering moving 1 Carrier to Guam and 1 to Pearl or possibly both to pearl.........:bazooka
I agree. There is no reason the USN could not foward deploy CVN's to both Hawaii and Guam. The faclities are there in both places to suppourt such a move.

Crusader2000

Banned Member
bd popeye said:
I agree. There is no reason the USN could not foward deploy CVN's to both Hawaii and Guam. The faclities are there in both places to suppourt such a move.

Then move one CVN from the Atlantic to the Pacific. (i.e. Washington or San Diego):rolleyes: Thereby giving the Pacific Fleet 7 Carriers compared to the Atlantics 5! This would not effect deployments to the Middle East because both deploy to the region from either fleet. :D

FLY NAVY:cool: