J.O.R.N (Jindalee Operational Radar Network) of Australia

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Ummm, I wouldn't be so sure about that. All existing (published) radar technologies rely upon electro-magnetic energy and a media converting electricity into that EM energy. So you only have to shut that process down to achieve a kill.

It is actually quite easy to disable that process in a static array. E.g. A Cessna 172 could do it.

cheers

w
Ok, if you want to be pedantic. In a state on state conflict - you have to penetrate the transcontinental air space with an asset that will effect the kill.

Of the 4 transcontinental - intercontinenal systems in service, which state player is a threat to australia?

Wooki

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Ok, if you want to be pedantic. In a state on state conflict - you have to penetrate the transcontinental air space with an asset that will effect the kill.

Of the 4 transcontinental - intercontinenal systems in service, which state player is a threat to australia?
? No it doesn't have to be a state player, But me just mentioning it here should give anyone involved in the system enough nounce to deduce the threat and close the door on it.

So it is a non-issue, or should be a non-issue by weeks end.

cheers

w

rabs

Does the JORN system have the ability to link up with other forces, such as RAAF Hornerts or Even USAF Hornets and provide updated information such as location. It has been established that it cant provide targeting data but can it at least be data linked is what im trying to say?

lobbie111

By reading here I have worked out that JORN is not ideal as a targeting system, now my question is this. Discounting any AEWAC platforms or any other kind of non ground based radar system. What could you use as a ground based targeting radar as a complement for the system, would it have to be custom designed?

I dont think it matters that it could reach the full extent of the JORN's range maybe the range of the longest range fighter in use today, just a bit longer perhaps so you can be able to destroy aircraft or shipping before they launch a payload at Australia.

Sorry if this was off topic btw.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
an agreement was signed last year with the americans to integrate JORN capability into their other sensor captive/targetting systems

lobbie111

an agreement was signed last year with the americans to integrate JORN capability into their other sensor captive/targetting systems
Sorry, I don't understand which country you are talking about.

Is the agreement to integrate American targeting systems onto the Australian systems.

OR

Is the agreement to integrate an Australian JORN type network onto the American targeting systems in America?

Sorry if that sounded like I was stupid or something

Oh and I read the initial deal with Telstra was actually a partnership of GEC Marconi and Telstra, Marconi Pulled out and then Telstra had no clue

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
I belive the agreement is to add american targeting systems onto the Australian system and intergrating it into the american sensor network. Atleast that is how I understand it.

Something to do with JORN being quite good at detecting missile launches. While JORN can lack detail, these locations would be known, the the trajectories could also be monitored by other means and combined with JORN data, but as a first inital warning JORN can do that.

I wouldn't be suprised if the technology gets used elsewhere.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't expect a whole lot of technical information to come out about more than what is already in the public domain. Perhaps when everything is operational they might make an announcement regarding its performance.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I wouldn't expect a whole lot of technical information to come out about more than what is already in the public domain. Perhaps when everything is operational they might make an announcement regarding its performance.
The stuff in the public domain about JORN is so far off the mark that its next to useless.

I would expect the same if not even more vigorous sanitising of publicly available info on the next stage project.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Something to do with JORN being quite good at detecting missile launches. While JORN can lack detail, these locations would be known, the the trajectories could also be monitored by other means and combined with JORN data, but as a first inital warning JORN can do that.
That's Pine Gaps role de rigeur....

I wouldn't be suprised if the technology gets used elsewhere.
It can't. No doubt elements of the integration will be useful learning tools, but it's not as if they can migrate the process into (say) Sea Based X Band......

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
The stuff in the public domain about JORN is so far off the mark that its next to useless.
Well, would we have it any other way? FUD is essential.

No doubt elements of the integration will be useful learning tools, but it's not as if they can migrate the process into (say) Sea Based X Band......
Of course, but JORN being a bit of a wildcard may have an impact on future research and development depending how useful it can be used in this new enviroment and application. While I don't expect it to be cut and paste hardware jobs, theres a fair bit of money being thrown around at I belive the software level which may follow on to other projects.

That's Pine Gaps role de rigeur....
What the inital launch and boost phase detection? Or the more detailed information?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Well, would we have it any other way? FUD is essential.
Its interesting how much rubbish some of us have seen thats been touted as fact though.

Of course, but JORN being a bit of a wildcard may have an impact on future research and development depending how useful it can be used in this new enviroment and application. While I don't expect it to be cut and paste hardware jobs, theres a fair bit of money being thrown around at I belive the software level which may follow on to other projects.
If you compare DSTO's annual budget compared to DARPA, or even one SAIC project then you'd weep at embarassment - considering the paucity of funds, aust tech manages to hold its head up. Or if you look at whats spent on metalstorm by respective parties.... then the money being thrown around will be primarily from the cousins.....

Dr. Renato

Time-Bandwidth product of Stealth-detecting Radar

Does anyone know what the time-bandwidth (BT) product of the Jindalee radar is?

Pro'forma

This wasn't the Canadian/Australian cooperation? Or regarding to similar
European, this did not use mimicry as other projelts alike. On a tech-case or not, joint rehearsals do all for us primary. Tender spot to, would describe
whether it is impossible as keep its technical front.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
This wasn't the Canadian/Australian cooperation? Or regarding to similar European, this did not use mimicry as other projelts alike. On a tech-case or not, joint rehearsals do all for us primary. Tender spot to, would describe whether it is impossible as keep its technical front.
Would you mind restating your response? I'm not quite getting the gist of your message.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Any giddy ?
This is no gilding, although you find it. As reply to; Jindalee
is a masterpiece, I agree.

Sorry, we're having a comms disconnect here. I don't actually understand what you're trying to tell the forum.

Pro'forma

There is no canadian involvement with the development of JORN.
I understand. To the matter of JORN. This replacement clearly JORN
has done, what was called the previous Radar, before the newest one.
Are you considering, the radar technology has taken the advantage,
as for the latest new products, with protection as measurable as it is?