Italian Navy Discussions and Updates

SolarisKenzo

Can you maybe add some information/context?
Is it scheduled for commissioning soon?
It is undergoing minor works before the commissioning ceremony that will take place early 2024 in Trieste ( for obvious reasons, since the ship was named after the city ).
The ship traveled from La Spezia naval base to Trieste, more than 2000km.
1696501105079.png

Here's a nice picture made before the ship entered the drydock.
link: https://upload.forumfree.net/i/ff13800141/0000 Trieste 4.jpg

SolarisKenzo

This is a picture, made last month, of the Riva Trigoso shipyards ( FIncantieri ).
2 FREMMs ( F589 and F598 ), 1 PPA ( P436? ) and a block of the LSS ATLANTE can be seen.
Massive shipbuilding for a relatively small facility.
1696501785235.png
Another PPA is almost finished in the La Spezia Muggiano Shipyard.
Between the end of this year and next year, Fincantieri will launch 4-5 major vessels:
2 FREMMs
2 PPAs ( the last two, completing the program )
1 LSS

link:

SolarisKenzo

Redlands18

Italian MoD’s Defence Planning Document 2023-2025: New naval and joint programs - Naval News
The Italian MOD has released a planning document for naval and joint programs, amongst possible new programs, are.
LAUVs
Evolved FREMM Frigates
An Article making the point of the future of the MMI

I see they are looking at an evolved FREMM, the FREMM EVO. 3x16,500t LPDs, will be interesting to see if they are a Through Deck design or a more traditional aft flight deck.

swerve

Super Moderator
The new amphibious ships will replace the three Santi, much smaller through-deck LPDs. That doesn't guarantee that they'll be through-deck, though.

Amphibs with a dock & a full length deck have traditionally been called LHDs, following USN classifications. I think the Santi didn't because they were too small & with no hangar. Tbh, I think they're a bit difficult to fit into the standard USN terminology.

It's fairly typical of what the Marina Militare is doing at the moment, e.g. Giuseppe Garibaldi, a very small Harrier-carrier, is being replaced by Trieste, an LHD with over twice the displacement.

SolarisKenzo

Italian MoD’s Defence Planning Document 2023-2025: New naval and joint programs - Naval News
The Italian MOD has released a planning document for naval and joint programs, amongst possible new programs, are.
LAUVs
Evolved FREMM Frigates

I see they are looking at an evolved FREMM, the FREMM EVO. 3x16,500t LPDs, will be interesting to see if they are a Through Deck design or a more traditional aft flight deck.
Yes, FREMM EVOs were fitted into this year's budget (only preliminary costs ofc) and are expected to start building process in the next years.
Speculations are:
- same dual band radar as on the PPAs (X and C band, 4 fixed faces)
- still 16 or 32 VLS ( 16xA50 for Aster 30B1NT and possibly 16xA70 for SCALP NAVAL and/or FC/ASW)
- focused on ASW capabilities, same 1x127mm and 1x76mm artillery.

The new amphibious ships will replace the three Santi, much smaller through-deck LPDs. That doesn't guarantee that they'll be through-deck, though.

Amphibs with a dock & a full length deck have traditionally been called LHDs, following USN classifications. I think the Santi didn't because they were too small & with no hangar. Tbh, I think they're a bit difficult to fit into the standard USN terminology.

It's fairly typical of what the Marina Militare is doing at the moment, e.g. Giuseppe Garibaldi, a very small Harrier-carrier, is being replaced by Trieste, an LHD with over twice the displacement.
Rumors are that the new ships (that, by the way, shouldn't be far from the start of the building process) won't be full-deck but instead classical LPD design, just like (its just an example of course, the two classes are completely different in size) the San Antonio.