Italian Air Force Update and Topic

SolarisKenzo

The Italian Air Force will retire the A11- AMX next month.

AMXs were put in "very limited operational status" in 2020, then most of the planes were grounded in 2022.
3 planes were kept in flying condition for the 2023 air force anniversary.
Now the Air Force will hold a farewell ceremony leaving Brazil the only operator of the plane.

Sandhi Yudha

Today I attended the phase-out ceremony of the AMX in Istrana Air Base.
Last flight after 35 years of service.
Farewell "topone".
Thanks for sharing.
Will the AMX be replaced by the M345 or M346?
Some more pictures and details.

Last edited:

SolarisKenzo

Thanks for sharing.
Will the AMX be replaced by the M345 or M346?
Some more pictures and details.
Hello,
the AMX will not be replaced.
Its role will be partially fulfilled by the F-35 (and possibly the number of JSFs will be increased from 90 to the original 131 planes).
Istrana AB, the Air Base that hosted AMX since 1988/1989, is now an Air Defence Operations base and hosts Eurofighter Typhoon, guaranteeing the defence of the air space of Slovenia and northern Italy.

The Air Force has basically shown total disinterest in any aircraft other than the F-35 or Eurofighter, the M-346 being the only exception (but only as a trainer for the ITFS pilots school).

Sandhi Yudha

Any thought of the Brazilians taking some for spares?
This should be a good plan.

In 2005, the Italian Air Force launched an upgrade programme (ACOL Aggionamento Capacità Operative e Logistiche – Operational and Logistical Capability Upgrade) for 55 of its AMXs, adding a new laser INS, new cockpit displays and allowing the aircraft to drop Joint Direct Attack Munition guided bombs. And starting from August 2007, Embraer began a major midlife upgrade programme and modernisation of 53 Brazilian Air Force AMX A-1s, focusing on avionics systems and new armament additions.

And later 43 Brazilian AMX aircrafts were modernized to A-1M and delivered between 2013 and 2017. There were plans to replace the AMXs after 2032 by more Saab Gripens, but it is indeed cheaper to keep the AMX flying after that year with added Italian AMXs. I dont think Brazil does need the planned 100 Gripens, a 50/50 Gripen/AMX fleet should be effective enough.

Last edited:

SolarisKenzo

IF Brazil bought parts, they did in the past years.
I suppose they probably did buy some parts, but there are no official records.

As of today:

Parts are not going to Brazil because ITAF progressively used their 55 AMX ACOLs to maintain in service the fleet.
All the planes were cannibalized through the years and currently there are only 25-30 fuselages left, completely deprived of all systems, engines and parts.

All the parts left will be sent to Air Base "Piacenza" in San Damiano and stored to be used for the flying museum iniative.

The photo is mine.

Attachments