Israel beats German navy in sub war game

The Watcher

Has israel bought any new subs from US or any other country or do they make their own?

----------------------------------------------
Israel beats German navy in sub war game

Aug 29, 2004, 03:01

In a rare revelation of war games between Israel and one of its allies, a newspaper reported over the weekend that an Israeli submarine engaged in a mock underwater battle with a German rival and won.

According to Yediot Ahronot, the war game took place last week, lasted "a few hours" and involved depths of hundreds of meters. The Dolphin-class submarine "Tekuma" succeeded in tailing the German vessel. She followed the German submarine at a safe distance without being detected until the end of the exercise, the report said.

"The fact that we are surrounded by enemy countries and are in a constant state of operational action and not just engaged in exercises, has made our underwater operational capabilities some of the highest in the world," Col. Eyal, the outgoing commander of the submarine flotilla was quoted as saying.

It was the first time since the three German-made Dolphin class submarines arrived in the country that the navy accepted a sub-to-sub challenge with a foreign navy, the report said.

With a crew of 33 and a captain who is only 31 years old, the Dolphins are the most expensive piece of weaponry in the IDF's arsenal the diesel-electric submarines, manufactured by Kiel-based Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft AG, were mostly paid for by the Germans. Israel has reportedly sought to purchase two more of the sophisticated submarines.

URL of this article:
http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/article_001812.shtml

adsH

gf0012-aust said:
They also have modified the weapons fit so that they can fire cruise missiles and N tipped cruisers.

Leathal i doubt the US would appreciate the use of WMD in Sub warfare

The Watcher

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
yeah! last time i heard this news about israel having n tipped subs was fake and it had no reality... but u never know!

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
adsH said:
gf0012-aust said:
They also have modified the weapons fit so that they can fire cruise missiles and N tipped cruisers.

Leathal i doubt the US would appreciate the use of WMD in Sub warfare
The USN has been running N tipped capable Mk48's, MK48 ADCAPs and Tomahawks for a number of years. They're well aware of WMD's for subs.

The SSGN's are armed with 192 Tomahawks. Just imagine all of those N tipped. It would be an enemies nightmare. (all the ICBM tubes are replaced with Tomahawk multiple VLS cannisters)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The Watcher said:
yeah! last time i heard this news about israel having n tipped subs was fake and it had no reality... but u never know!
Nope, it's not fake. I know of one contracter working on an Israeli sub project. He has been assigned to it for the last 12 months.

Considering his line of work, I would assume that he was playing with unconventionals

The Watcher

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I dont know. First there was a news about subs having nukes then after a week there was another news from same news sources that it doesn't have nukes, etc. Dubious stories to confuse us. :(

adsH

gf0012-aust said:
The SSGN's are armed with 192 Tomahawks. Just imagine all of those N tipped. It would be an enemies nightmare. (all the ICBM tubes are replaced with Tomahawk multiple VLS cannisters)
Nope no nightmares anymore for them (the Enemy), they wont get a second chance once once those babies do what they intended to do, i see why the US is the Indisputable Superpower of the world.

turin

Nope no nightmares anymore for them (the Enemy), they wont get a second chance once once those babies do what they intended to do, i see why the US is the Indisputable Superpower of the world.
Whats the matter? A Typhoon carrying 20 missiles with 10 MIRV each makes 200 independent nukes and they're still more difficult to intercept than a cruise missile.

Back to topic: nice work @ Israel. We should do that again when our type 212 subs are in active service, however. ;)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
turin said:
Whats the matter? A Typhoon carrying 20 missiles with 10 MIRV each makes 200 independent nukes and they're still more difficult to intercept than a cruise missile.

Back to topic: nice work @ Israel. We should do that again when our type 212 subs are in active service, however. ;)
Unless someone has worked out how to develop micro miniaturised nukes, then you'll struggle to fit a MIRV on anything smaller than 21" in diameter. Even then you'd only get 2.

I think you're becoming confused with VLS MIRVs and something else.

btw, the Typhoon isn't railed for that many missiles anyway. I think you're looking at the wrong plane as well. ;)

turin

My post was only about the numbers of nuclear warheads available via the converted SSBN/SSGN and the effect on enemy areas. I didnt speak about fitting a ballistic missile into a smaller design which the SSGN are certainly not. Yeah they are exchanging their ballistic capability for conventional strike cap., however fitting these Toms with nukes would pretty much reverse the initial intention, non?

As for the Typhoon, I got the information from naval-tec: http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/typhoon/index.html
being rather reliable on such details.

The submarine carries 20 RSM-52 intercontinental, three-stage solid propellant ballistic missiles. The two rows of missile launch tubes are situated in front of the sail between the main hulls. Each missile consists of ten independently targetable multiple re-entry vehicles (MIRV's), each with a 100kt nuclear warhead.
Makes 200 nukes for me. :help

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
turin said:
My post was only about the numbers of nuclear warheads available via the converted SSBN/SSGN and the effect on enemy areas. I didnt speak about fitting a ballistic missile into a smaller design which the SSGN are certainly not. Yeah they are exchanging their ballistic capability for conventional strike cap., however fitting these Toms with nukes would pretty much reverse the initial intention, non?

As for the Typhoon, I got the information from naval-tec: http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/typhoon/index.html
being rather reliable on such details.

The submarine carries 20 RSM-52 intercontinental, three-stage solid propellant ballistic missiles. The two rows of missile launch tubes are situated in front of the sail between the main hulls. Each missile consists of ten independently targetable multiple re-entry vehicles (MIRV's), each with a 100kt nuclear warhead.
Makes 200 nukes for me. :help
ROFLMAO. Sorry, my mistake. I was thinking Typhoon as in aircraft. ;)