Iriaf F-14

caucesco

If the F14's were that good then I amn sure the US wouldn't have inducted as many F!5's and F16's in there airforces. As far as the radar goes the F14 is an effective mini AWACS because of the size of its radar housing rather then just the quality of the radar. The SU27 can make a much better command post or AWACS system than the F14 due to the fact it is more modern and able to utalise Westen European based tecnhnology (China and Indian examples). Iran's military doctorine seems to be rather peculiar. They can easily afford to buy SU27's because that are not that expensive, but for some reason they have not chosen to do so. I ma not sure if they have purchased the Mig 31 and use that for datalink and command post operations.
you havent got the point about irans AF buying new planes,its just the matter that russian and the chinese wont sell us the things they making like the SU27 or J10,we can obtain smaller things from them like the TOR M1 but they are scared of US and wont sell us the new stuff the IRIAF needs,
so we have to keep the things we have airworthy and work on our own domestic aircraft.
everycountry started from some where ,didnt they?!
if the shah along side buying US planes had started working on domestic fighters,maybe now we could build some thing close to the gripen or eurofighter,after about 50years of expreince

justone

Banned Member
Although 3 or 4 were shot down during the Iran-Iraq war,the Iranian F-14s more then made up for this by downing several Iraqi Mig-23s,-25s,F-7s,and even a couple Tu-22 Blinders.The F-14s also downed one of four Super Etendards leased to Iraq by France to sink tankers in the Persian Gulf.Most of these kills were made with the AIM-54 Phoenix.The F-14 was also used as a mini AWACs,using its AWG-9 radar to detect Iraqi fighters and direct F-4s or F-4s in for the kill.The reason Iran hasn't bought either the Su-30 or the Mig-31 is because it is now making its own F-14 parts to keep its fleet airborne and it believes the Tomcat is more then enough to counter any possiblr aggressor.
I will give respect to the IRIAF for there perform in the Iran-Iraq War that it. The F-14 is long gone in the history books. The year is 2009 not 1980's its time for the IRIAF to retire the fleet and work on trying to replace the F-14. They need to stop talking all this big talk and realize they are behind other countries and work on that. The F-14 cannot win in a fight against a modern air force that a fact! The Russian will not sell Iran Mig 31. I don't believe Iran have enough money to buy a fleet of Mig 31 if Russia agree to sale it to IRIAF. If someone hit Iran right now they don't have to ability to strike back hard. Only thing they got some missles what is that? Work on getting back in the world community first. The truth hurts. I love the Iranian for what there doing trying to do things for self. There not riding the back of the U.S. or depending on them like some countries are. I call the one's who depend on the U.S. like Saudi Arabia and Israel "ass kisser".

Last edited:

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
I hope both of you (caucesco & justone) do realize you are referring your posts to comments which are about 4 years old and the members who posted them are no longer active. Do not expect any response from them and I would recommend to let the dead threads rest in peace.

caucesco

I hope both of you (caucesco & justone) do realize you are referring your posts to comments which are about 4 years old and the members who posted them are no longer active. Do not expect any response from them and I would recommend to let the dead threads rest in peace.
looks like your right,i didnt look at the date of the last post in this thread