IRAN'S powerful missiles

Khairul Alam

Commander Highlights Unique Features of Qiam 1 Missile

TEHRAN (FNA)- A senior Iranian defense industries official on Saturday hailed the unique features of the country's recently developed and tested Qiam 1 surface-to-surface missile, saying that Qiam 1 is a high velocity, radar-avoiding missile which can be fired from different types of launch pads.

"One of the most important features of the Qiam (Rising) missile is that it has no tail fins, wings and canards and this has granted it higher velocity," Head of the Defense Ministry's Aerospace Industries Organization General Seyed Mehdi Farahi told FNA.

The same feature has also made it possible for the Qiam missile to be "launched from various types of launchers", the General added.

Iran's Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi announced on Friday that the country has test-fired its latest surface-to-surface missile which enjoys unique features.

Iran's new surface to surface missile, Qiam 1, has been successfully test-fired, Vahidi said.

Meantime, General Farahi stressed that the range of Qiam differs in accordance with its mission, meaning that the missile can hit targets in different distances according to its mission plan.

Elaborating on the other features of the missile, Farahi said that Qiam is a radar-evading missile and that the time for preparing and launching the missile has been minimized.

Iran has been pushing an arms development program in recent years in a bid to reach self-sufficiency. Tehran launched its arms development program during the 1980-88 Iraqi imposed war on Iran to compensate for a US weapons embargo.

Since 1992, Iran has produced its own jet fighters and armored vehicles as well as radar-avoiding missiles and other high-tech weapons.......

Fars News Agency :: Commander Highlights Unique Features of Qiam 1 Missile

oh well..there it goes again..radar evading, high velocity and what not..

but the reason for my post is that i have taken this piece of news somewhat more seriously than others of its kind. Iran seems to be churning out a new missile every month now. Okay, to get to the point, the article I quoted above gives some interesting points to note:

1. This new baby uses liquid fuel. I am wondering why Iran would still prefer liquid propellant while it already has the Sejjil-2 using solid fuel. My question stems from the fact that the article mentions the capability of launching the missile from "various types of launchers", which I am assuming refer to various types of TELs and NOT include ground based silos.

2. The missile has no tail fins, wings and canards. Now thats very interesting!! Are they trying to imply something like thrust vectoring? How else can a BM be stabilized during its flight?

3. "Meantime, General Farahi stressed that the range of Qiam differs in accordance with its mission, meaning that the missile can hit targets in different distances according to its mission plan". Why does it even have to be mentioned? Whats so special about a missile being able to strike targets at different distances? :confused:

Enlighten me!!!

Moebius

1.) Just click on the link to for the answer to your question about the liquid propellants in rocketry it will cover most of the general information you'll need. Liquid-propellant rocket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2.) Most modern ballistic missiles use thrust vectoring.

3.) It probably just means that they can alter the range of the missile by the amount of fuel they fill it with or they could be saying that they can increase the range by adding another rocket stage to it.

Bastian

1.) Just click on the link to for the answer to your question about the liquid propellants in rocketry it will cover most of the general information you'll need.

2.) Most modern ballistic missiles use thrust vectoring.

3.) It probably just means that they can alter the range of the missile by the amount of fuel they fill it with or they could be saying that they can increase the range by adding another rocket stage to it.
Have you heard about iran bought 25 of north korean new and advanced MIRV from a wikileaks cable? The us gov said that the missile would be used as subject for the development of their own advanced ICCBM

My2Cents

It is more likely that they are changing the warhead size than the amount of fuel in the tanks. You definitely do not want to increase the potential for the fuel to slosh around during launch.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
regarding the Qiam missile, how could it evade radar? i've seen the missile. it's quite big and have no discernable stealth features. Is it going to rely on speed to create large enough doppler shift? i thought modern ABM radar was made with this in mind.

So far Iran have boasted weapon systems that to me sound implausible and have questionable operational feasibility. Radar evading ballistic missile, Anti-Helicopter missile (why don't they just call it anti-aircraft missile?), Underwater missile and many more. But what about the KH-55? i heard Iran already started to mass produce the weapons and are woking on improvements. this KH-55 to me are more realistic and a far greater threat from the weapons system stated above. Why Iran never boasted about it?