Iranian Nucleared powered Sub.

pdunderhill

Morning good people,

This article in Todays Independent Newspaper (UK) caught my interest:

''Iran has begun to design its first nuclear submarine, a semi-official news agency in the country has reported.

Deputy navy chief in charge of technical affairs Admiral Abbas Zamini was quoted as saying Iran has begun “initial stages” of designing the nuclear-powered craft.

Admiral Zamini said Iran has developed “peaceful nuclear technology” and has both the capability and the right to build a submarine.

Iran and the West are at odds over Tehran's nuclear programme.

The US suspects it is aimed at developing weapons technology - a charge that Iran denies.''

Is it exactly what it says? i.e just a prelim planning/consultation excercise?
I find it difficult to believe the Iranian Navy to be capable of or indeed adequately funded to actually construct this sort of boat.
I appreciate there has been a lot of recent sabre rattling from Tehran recently but the whole premise of using a probably 1st gen nuclear boat in the shallow waters of the Gulf strikes me as wasteful of resources and unlikely to acheive any great advantage, or maybe I'm wrong?
If they were to reverse engineer another nations boats might we be looking at the Han or Shang Chinese Subs?
Peter

Relix7195

Iran developing nuclear sub.

They may have an idea to sneak in on their rival across deep waters across continents and deliver payloads and on the topic of them developing nuclear technology I would say what has been planned is worrying and not right so is the process of getting there and act to taking-place.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe they have some Kilo's but that they're not in great shape - I can't see a nuclear boat fitting a local power like Iran, neither can I see them having the expertise to design a working PWR of the size and output required, nor do they have any experience in conventional sub design.

Iran does have a colourful history of vapourware weapons that are announced, but either debunked shortly after or which don't deliver in terms of promise vs potential.

Smokin' Joe

Verified Defense Pro
Morning good people,

This article in Todays Independent Newspaper (UK) caught my interest:

''Iran has begun to design its first nuclear submarine, a semi-official news agency in the country has reported.

Deputy navy chief in charge of technical affairs Admiral Abbas Zamini was quoted as saying Iran has begun “initial stages” of designing the nuclear-powered craft.

Admiral Zamini said Iran has developed “peaceful nuclear technology” and has both the capability and the right to build a submarine.

Iran and the West are at odds over Tehran's nuclear programme.

The US suspects it is aimed at developing weapons technology - a charge that Iran denies.''

Is it exactly what it says? i.e just a prelim planning/consultation excercise?
I find it difficult to believe the Iranian Navy to be capable of or indeed adequately funded to actually construct this sort of boat.
I appreciate there has been a lot of recent sabre rattling from Tehran recently but the whole premise of using a probably 1st gen nuclear boat in the shallow waters of the Gulf strikes me as wasteful of resources and unlikely to acheive any great advantage, or maybe I'm wrong?
If they were to reverse engineer another nations boats might we be looking at the Han or Shang Chinese Subs?
Peter
It seems as though they have only begun the early planning/building phases of the propulsion systems. They may not have to construct the whole boat. I would see them trying to install it on one of the kilos that they presently have or they could get help from China or Russia to install it on a different vessel like you mentioned.

Who knows where they will go with the actual submarine if they successfully build it. In my opinion one of the biggest goals of Iran is to be seen as a developing country. "Look I can bring down your UAV, and build nuclear energy, and we are getting some pretty cool weapons." The US response to this was the UAV malfunctioned and stop building nuclear energy and your weapons are only to harm the West.

Is it peaceful reasons behind them developing the technology like they say? Possibly, but not if everyone keeps denying the fact that they are advancing in these areas. If that continues then they will feel like they have to prove to the world that they are becoming more powerful and who better to hit than the "powerful" country that keeps a "vulnerable" strike group of ships within 30 miles of your coast at all times.

PCShogun

Since military reactors require a much higher level of enrichment to their fuel than a civilian power reactor, it could also be seen as an excuse for Iran to justify their higher level of enrichment that the west is accusing them of.

Belesari

Since military reactors require a much higher level of enrichment to their fuel than a civilian power reactor, it could also be seen as an excuse for Iran to justify their higher level of enrichment that the west is accusing them of.
Yes possibly. That was also my first thought....well besides vapourware.

Zhaow

Well they will need SSNs to defend their new carrier

Iran to build Aircraft Carriers

Latest CGI of their proposed fleet below
I highly doubt that Iran can build an Aircraft carrier or even attempt it. The closes maybe an LPD, LHA or an LSD type ship. A Us style Aircraft carrier is out of the reach for most countries. Very few can operate US type carriers such as UK, France and Brazil. Most countries that can afford a carrier will go with a more Amphibious assault ship type carrier than a US style carrier because of cost and you can do everything in an Amphibious assault ship from Helicopter assault ops, Amphibious ops, ASW and ASUW.

STURM

I highly doubt that Iran can build an Aircraft carrier or even attempt it. The closes maybe an LPD, LHA or an LSD type ship.
Off course Iran can't build a carrier. But have the Iranians even dropped a hint that they intend on having one? Given their operational needs, they have absolutely no need for a carrier.

ProM

But have the Iranians even dropped a hint that they intend on having one? .
This count?
Iran’s Deputy Navy Commander Captain Mansour Maqsoudlou has announced the country’s plan to design and manufacture aircraft carriers.
The initial designs for building the carriers have been approved and the process of research, design and manufacture will start soon, Captain Maqsoudlou told IRNA
Iran Navy to Build Aircraft Carriers | EUTimes.net

kiwanuka

i think Iran can continue to develop its technology and like it or not, the time for it will come catch up with other advanced countries as far as nuclear submarines are concerned

pdunderhill

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, there's a whole world of difference between merely wishing to fund, design and build a modern nuclear powered submarine and actually achieving that goal.

It's not just the effect that possesion of such a boat by the current regime in Tehran could cause somthing more than a 'local skirmish', it's the fact that Iran, without massive external financial, design and manufacuring assistance, is incapable of fulfilling their wishes.

I'm afraid that Tehran are going to be made to look foolish again, giving the impression that the country has devolved into an ungovernable mess, each faction whether Military Religious or Parliamentry has enough power to be heard, but not enough to single-handedly actually govern.
What a mess,
Peter

ProM

i think Iran can continue to develop its technology and like it or not, the time for it will come catch up with other advanced countries as far as nuclear submarines are concerned
Which rather ignores the fact that the RN, USN et all have developed further since the first SSNs of half a century ago, and will continue to develop.

Iran may catch up one day, but I doubt it will be in my lifetime.